Tolerable Anti-Inflammatory

Taylor was (is?) on Previcox, right? Did he develop side effects? Sweep had diarrhea with Meloxicam both times we tried it, but tolerates the Previcox. We give Pepcid 30-60 minutes beforehand.

53827132849_248d9686fd_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart

Taylor was (is?) on Previcox, right? Did he develop side effects? Sweep had diarrhea with Meloxicam both times we tried it, but tolerates the Previcox. We give Pepcid 30-60 minutes beforehand.

Taylor has been on Previcox for 8 weeks since his diagnosis of Hypertrophic Osteopathy.

In the past week, he has started throwing up bile in the morning, with a little blood.

Doctor feels it is a gastric ulcer. Giving Prilosec.

Taylor has been on Previcox for 8 weeks since his diagnosis of Hypertrophic Osteopathy.

In the past week, he has started throwing up bile in the morning, with a little blood.

Doctor feels it is a gastric ulcer. Giving Prilosec.

I'm sorry to hear that. Hope you can find something that works better for him.

53827132849_248d9686fd_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart

Taylor was at his oncologist this past Wednesday for an exam and an IV of the every 3-4 week Zoledronate.

The doctor and I have been emailing over the weekend, and I will speak with him later Monday morning to see if there is something more effective than Prilosec to take with the needed Previcox, or find something to replace the Previcox that he might tolerate better.

He doesn't do well on Rimadyl.

Forti Flora (probiotic), Pepcid and Slippery Elm are main stays here.

The problem with slippery elm (powder) is you have to wait 1-2 hours before giving meds as it coats the esophagus and stomach and wont let the meds get absorbed (I mix it during feeding and make it like a slurry). If it doesnt conflict with med timing, IMO its rather effective.

Taylor might eat it readily on its own if it'a a slurry but unlikely.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

There are many "tolerable" non steroidal anti inflammatories in dogs- rimadyl, deramaxx, metacam, etc. It depends on the individual as to whether or not side effects develop (GI issues being the most common) and whether or not it is effective. Just like in humans, maybe my headache improves with ibuprofen, and my husband's headache improves with Excedrin. And always remember that NSAIDs should be given with food.

I always found that Previcox was the easiest on their stomachs. My guy gets a 1/2 Pepcid (10 mg. daily) anyway for acid reflux and is on Previocox for a disc issue in his neck.

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

I always found that Previcox was the easiest on their stomachs. My guy gets a 1/2 Pepcid (10 mg. daily) anyway for acid reflux and is on Previocox for a disc issue in his neck.

Taylor had been taking 40 mg of Pepcid an hour before taking his Previcox, and he did well for around 7 weeks, but then started throwing up bile in the morning a few mornings, and there was some blood.

His oncologist examined him and felt it was probably a gastric ulcer caused by the Previcox.

We then increased the Pepcid to 40 mg, twice a day.

That wasn't helping as good as planned, so just added the Misoprostol on Monday ans that seems to be helping.