Keeping Off The Couch

Guest GreyKlee

Guest GreyKlee

I knew greyhounds were smart, but man did I underestimate them! Freya has taken to jumping on my couches, which are off limits in my house, only when I'm gone. Any ideas for positive training methods to teach her that couches are not only off limits while I'm at home (she gets that very clearly), but also when I'm out?

It took Freya and me awhile to find a good arrangement for her when I'm out of the house. Keeping her in a crate lasted only a few days, and she very clearly told me she wasn't a fan with incessant howling. I then moved to an X-pen, and she started jumping out of it and injuring herself. I then let her roam the house, with other room doors closed, but she seemed to be nervous and would run back and forth between the front door and back window and make my other dog, who is crated and loves her crate, very nervous. Finally, we settled on an arrangement of chairs and baby gates to keep Freya in the Living Room, and she did great for months. The partial enclosure does wonders for her.

I started noticing that the couches were looking more frumpy than usual, and after setting up a camera, discovered that she's jumping up on the couches while I'm gone. She's a notorious nester, and I would love to keep her off the couches, period. She almost never jumps up when I'm home, and when she does, a firm 'no' and she's off and looking quite ashamed. Of course, Miss Smarty Pants figured out that she doesn't get in trouble for it when I'm not home, haha. I recently bought motion alarms that beep loudly when they vibrate, like when she jumps on the couch, but she learned within a period of days that sitting on the alarm muffled it, and she could stay fairly comfortable. I would love some ideas on how to train her, using positive reinforcement, to stay off the couch while I'm gone. Freya is quite sensitive, as are most Greys, and I want to clearly teach her that certain areas or actions are off limits, period, regardless of whether I'm there or not. Thanks in advance!

Sidenote: I'm not super attached to these couches, and if training isn't really possible, I can make do with her being on furniture. However, someday, when I'm no longer a student, I'll likely have nice furniture, and I would love to let Freya roam free in the house and not stay in a furniture-less room when I'm gone. Just thinking ahead so we have plenty of time to train!

Jack NEVER even tried to get on the couch while we were home. When we are out however, all bets are off for some reasons. Obviously, it is not even a rule at our house as he never did get on the couch, so how can we possibly keep him off the leather couch when we are out?

We put chairs on the couch. Even after 2 years, he will get on the couch if we forget to put them on the couch.

You can also try aluminum foil. I hear it can be quite effective as the sound is not pleasant, never tried it personally though :)

That said, good luck, I feel like it is a war that can't be won :lol

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

What worked for us to keep Pogo off of our bed (dogs are allowed on the couch) was to get a plastic floor mat that you put under office chairs so they will roll easily on carpeting. We put it on the bed with the nubby side up. We couldn't forget to do that or we would find Pogo on the bed when we came home.

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

What worked for us to keep Pogo off of our bed (dogs are allowed on the couch) was to get a plastic floor mat that you put under office chairs so they will roll easily on carpeting. We put it on the bed with the nubby side up. We couldn't forget to do that or we would find Pogo on the bed when we came home.

either that or the plastic carpet runners sold by the foot at home depot. put them on upside down. i will say that i had one boarder who i found on the plastic, i guess he it felt like accupressure to him.

Yes. There are pet products made with this nubby design in mind for sofas, chairs, table tops. If you can't find anything in the dogs' section in your local pet stores/on-line, check the cat sections.

Otherwise, try blocking off the sofa with items that won't harm a dog if the item falls on the dog. Depending on your sofa access, large palate size pieces of cardboard (e.g., often found near Costco's shredder inside the rear of the store) are great to block off the walking pathway to the sofa. I use that sturdy cardboard under crates and dog beds too. :)

Placing an upturned stool on the chaise longue before going out worked for me. But these days I am kinder and fling an old bedspread over it so Ken can get comfy up there instead!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

If it isn't the world's most precious furniture, I'd follow DocsDoctor's suggestion and put a cover over your couch. Old quilt, or a piece of canvas/denim from the fabric store. Tuck it in well so she can't nest it away easily. Then everyone will be happy. Easy to remove when you have guests or want to wash it, not necessary to remove for casual seating.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I think with some dogs this a battle you never really win! Noelle was the only one allowed on the couch but as soon as she died Stretch thought he should be allowed to take her place, he hasn't figured out how to curl up like she did. Prince has never thried to get on the furniture in the 7 years he's been with me, but I would allow him to get up if he wanted to as he just goes to sleep, no nesting. Many people have dog couches & then have another for themselves so this is an idea for after you are no longer a student. Greys are funny creatures aren't they?