What Is Happening Here?

Hello, can anyone tell me what this is? It seemed like a coughing fit (or like reverse coughing, sucking air in) that lasted a good 20 min. Started slowly after he came in from running, amped up to almost constant, and just when I was really worried and going to take him to the vet, it subsided and he seems fine now. He does do this occasionally but never this severe or for anywhere near this long. Could it be a sign of laryngeal problems? The video doesn't show quite the constant part of the episode, but hopefully enough to see what I'm talking about. Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you (ps, he was fine when he first came in from running, not out of breath. he laid down on the floor to sleep and this started about 10 min later)

(I couldn't figure out how to link the video on photo bucket, so uploaded to youtube and copied the link below)

Edited by Simonsays

Agree with reverse sneezing.

He might have sniffed up a foreign body like a plant seed, etc., but if it's been an ongoing issue, I'd have a vet look for nasal mites, or nasal worms, etc.

Upon adoption, one of our hounds suffered through many months of nasal mites before I finally diagnosed it. (Nasal mites were not problematic in our area so our local vets missed it.)

They are easily treatable, and our hound has not had any recurrence in almost a decade.

Oh interesting, thanks so much! reverse sneezing is what it looks like for sure. I'll take him to the vet if it keeps happening. Would never have thought of mites. Hopefully it was just the temperature change coming in or dust or something.

Agree with reverse sneezing.

He might have sniffed up a foreign body like a plant seed, etc., but if it's been an ongoing issue, I'd have a vet look for nasal mites, or nasal worms, etc.

Upon adoption, one of our hounds suffered through many months of nasal mites before I finally diagnosed it. (Nasal mites were not problematic in our area so our local vets missed it.)

They are easily treatable, and our hound has not had any recurrence in almost a decade.

How often was it happening when yours had mites? were they long episodes or short frequent?

Edited by Simonsays

Hmmm, 20 mins like that is kinda long...I've never had it last quite that long around here. That used to happen to my pom if he would pull on the leash a lot on a walk, the constant pressure on his throat was the culprit and it could be re-created by palpating the throat similar to if a collar were on. Did a strong leash walk happen prior?

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Oh interesting, thanks so much! reverse sneezing is what it looks like for sure. I'll take him to the vet if it keeps happening. Would never have thought of mites. Hopefully it was just the temperature change coming in or dust or something.

How often was it happening when yours had mites? were they long episodes or short frequent?

Our hound's case was fairly severe. Her reverse sneezing was happening multiple times per day, every day or every couple of days. Both long and short durations -- I suppose depending on how active the mites were at any given time. The long-term mite damage affected her ability to smell. She had a slightly drippy nose (clear), but it was assumed to have been from cold winter weather, and her separation anxiety. She was miserable from those pesky mites.

Nasal mites can be transferred dog to dog but none of our other hounds (or cats) were infected with mites during the months prior to diagnosis and treatment.

I doubt Simon has a foxtail, (he'd likely be going crazy pawing at his nose) but if your area has them, keep him out of tall grasses. They're usually more of a problem in spring and summer months.

BTW, he's so gorgeous and I love his long, shapely tail. (Remember to be extra cautious of his tail when closing doors to house/car. Many hounds have had tail amputations from door injuries.)

Edited by 3greytjoys

You can cover his nose with your flat hand - only until he stops. That helps to help him breathing normally again.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Or open his mouth ;-)

I think, he will do that all by himself when his nose is covered ;-)

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Our hound's case was fairly severe. Her reverse sneezing was happening multiple times per day, every day or every couple of days. Both long and short durations -- I suppose depending on how active the mites were at any given time. The long-term mite damage affected her ability to smell. She had a slightly drippy nose (clear), but it was assumed to have been from cold winter weather, and her separation anxiety. She was miserable from those pesky mites.

Nasal mites can be transferred dog to dog but none of our other hounds (or cats) were infected with mites during the months prior to diagnosis and treatment.

I doubt Simon has a foxtail, (he'd likely be going crazy pawing at his nose) but if your area has them, keep him out of tall grasses. They're usually more of a problem in spring and summer months.

BTW, he's so gorgeous and I love his long, shapely tail. (Remember to be extra cautious of his tail when closing doors to house/car. Many hounds have had tail amputations from door injuries.)

Thanks for the info, we have foxtails in the summer, but I don't think there's any right now. Thanks, I think he's gorgeous too! That tail.... it's miles behind him on the way out the door, I have to be careful

I'll remember the nose covering trick! (and not smother the pupper) :flip

Nothing like a bout of reverse sneezing in the middle of the night to wake you up and get you out of bed quickly. :lol:

Stroking the throat seems to help calm them down too. Or eating, I think the dogs would favor that solution.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).