Symptoms To Recognize For Cognitive Issues

Neighbor's dog had circling incessantly to the right when walking, swinging her head and shoulders side-to-side when standing, and flinching back from nothing (like you would if you saw a baseball about to hit your face). She was 16 by the time I started caring for her, so there could have been other things going on. It was the sudden onset of circling and headswinging that caused her to be brought to the vet when she was diagnosed "likely stroke" by the vet.

Daisy the terrier has undiagnosed but supposed dementia (the vet said it's likely). She forgets how doors work some days (stands with her nose right in the middle of the door or at the hinge then gets spooked when it opens how it's supposed to. She'll lose me in the house sometimes - I'll be in the room with her, she'll leave, then she can't find me again and I have to go find her. She'll just stop halfway through doors sometimes like she's not sure what she's doing or where she's headed, then get offended when I bump into her because she's very small and stops when I'm expecting her to move. She also stares at nothing in particular, but I'm not sure if that's dementia or just her :lol

ETA: This all gets worse at night, which is consistent with sundowners. She's usually just fine in the morning but once it starts getting dark she gets worse. She also has cataracts (mostly blind in one eye and losing vision in the other) so some of it is definitely that. But the weird started before her vision got bad.

Edited by Roo

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

Daisy the terrier has undiagnosed but supposed dementia (the vet said it's likely). She forgets how doors work some days (stands with her nose right in the middle of the door or at the hinge then gets spooked when it opens how it's supposed to. She'll lose me in the house sometimes - I'll be in the room with her, she'll leave, then she can't find me again and I have to go find her. She'll just stop halfway through doors sometimes like she's not sure what she's doing or where she's headed, then get offended when I bump into her because she's very small and stops when I'm expecting her to move. She also stares at nothing in particular, but I'm not sure if that's dementia or just her :lol

ETA: This all gets worse at night, which is consistent with sundowners. She's usually just fine in the morning but once it starts getting dark she gets worse. She also has cataracts (mostly blind in one eye and losing vision in the other) so some of it is definitely that. But the weird started before her vision got bad.

that's exactly what happened to willie wonka, my late welsh terrier. after getting lost he started to mark his bed, nest in it and then start all over. days and nights were mixed up and he was so unsettled that he couldn't be contained in the kitchen- knocked the 42" gate down and he would knock his crate over if he was crated.

a friend mentioned HILLS B DIET, he is a vet and his co-worker's dog had dementia and did really well on it. http://www.hillspet.com/en/us/products/pd-canine-bd-dry

There were "just enough" signs at our vet appt today to warrant a neurological referral, which I'm rather happy about. We'll see what happens.

We had bloodwork done today, nothing out of the norm, but I'd like to post the just in case. Will try to do so later today. Turns out we aren't getting him on any metacam after all.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

The bugger is acting completely normal today. Diva from Wed to Sunday, but looks like I got my dog back on Monday and all by hisownself. The only thing I can think of that happened is a small stroke or do dogs get vertigo? He just was not himself until today. I've got the neurologist appt later this week, but think I might cancel since the consult might be useless!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015