No More Kennel When Alone?

Guest mpsoderberg

Guest mpsoderberg

We've had Tanner for a couple months now, and during the workday, he is kenneled. He doesn't seem to mind it; he even runs in every morning when I bring out his stuffed Kong. When we go out in the evenings, we follow that same process - Kong in his kennel with the radio on. I know that it depends on the dog, but what are some good ways to experiment if Tanner is ready to be left out during the day or in the evening when we aren't home? I know that dogs can feel comforted being in their kennel, so I'm not sure if he cares either way, but I would love to give him more freedom. I'm thinking baby steps. Like, keep him in the bedroom where his kennel is, but gated off, and not necessarily the whole house right away.

We no longer kennel him at night - we just move his favorite bed from the living room into the bedroom with his kennel open in case he wants to pop in.

Thank you for your (kind) feedback!

Start with leaving the kennel door open and he can choose to go in there or not during the day. Follow the same routine as giving him the kong before you go, just don't close the door.

How does he react when you are home and he's not crated? Does he get into things? You might find out that he loves socks if you leave them out, or he might like houseplants, etc. Try leaving him for a time before you go straight away into a full work day, for example go out to the store for a half hour, or an hour and see how things are.....

You may find he just settles on a bed and waits for you to get home. If you are really hesitant, you can pick up a webcam and watch while you are not home to see how he behaves.

Good luck!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Agree with baby steps during brief errand trials first. A couple of months usually isn't enough time for Greyhounds' true character to shine. Baby-gating him in his happiest, most familiar room with open door crate with comfy bed while wearing his plastic, basket turn-out muzzle is probably fine. (He will still be able to pant and drink water while wearing his open basket muzzle.)

It will still be very important to baby/dog proof everything in that room (and close doors to other rooms in case he gets beyond the baby gate unexpectedly). Greys are late bloomers, if he's 3.5 years old, that's considered the beginning of maturing from puppy-hood. (BTW, separate flat I.D. collars are recommended since martingale collars shouldn't be left on an unsupervised dog. Martingale's big D-ring can get caught on something causing strangulation.)

A friendly caution: Please keep everything loose put away in drawers/cabinets (medicine bottles, eye glasses, mail, remotes, food, etc.). Many young Greyhounds will try to shred any paper within reach. I knew a Greyhound that died from ingesting a ladies sock.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. Your boy will probably appreciate being able to walk around and stretch, etc.

I totally agree with baby steps to more freedom. I'm a non-crater. We used crates as a transition tool for our 2 greys and our 14 fosters, but all of them transitioned to nearly full house freedom. We had a few fosters who spent nap time by choice in their open-door crates, and some never went back at all. It's not for ALL dogs, though. Some do need to be crated for their own safety. In my PERSONAL experience - many of them don't if you are willing to babyproof your house. (Dogproof).

Step 1 - leave the crate door open and gate him in the room he's usually in. BABYPROOF THE ROOM. Make sure to take out anything he might chew, claw, destroy, etc. Even out of curiosity. He'll probably "explore" which might include chewing, mouthing, etc. Don't leave your Prada shoes and your iPad in that room ! LOL! If that works - expand out slowly. It's also ok to keep some doors closed and make them "dog free" zones. My DD's bedroom was a no-no. Closed door. Some people do "just downstairs" some do 1 room - some part of the house. Do what works for you. But do it in steps. Good luck! Honestly, after a bit of transition, my dogs had nearly free reign when we were gone, and most hung out in one comfortable spot most of the time.

Crates were never intended to be a forever thing. Except in a kennel of course!

Leave the door unlocked, but mostly shut at first. See if he even tries to get out. Then leave it open. Then get rid of it, assuming nothing happens.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

My favorite rant. Totally agree with baby gates and an open crate. I have never (through 100+ greyhounds) crated except for medical reasons. Both Harley and Buck walked into my house straight off the track, turned around three times and went to sleep. Crates are so often overrated and "well, he was crated at the track" doesn't fly with me. For one thing I have personally crawled into a track crate and fit very handily. It's not like the one you buy at Petco. The other thing is it's a whole 'nother ball game to be with 60-70 of you closest friends where you can see them and being alone in a living room in a box.

Sorry I'm cranky this morning.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest mpsoderberg

Thank you for the helpful advice and I will ignore the rants. We have a cat, which is why I'm being extra careful, for both of their sakes. Even when we are home, Tanner often goes and hangs out in his open crate, so I will try baby-gating our bedroom (where his crate is) and lengthening his alone time (likely muzzle-free -- he just HAAAAATES it. Practically will puncture his eye with his paw trying to get it off).

Just curious because it's not clear: Is he muzzled when he is crated or just when he's out and about the house and you're concerned about the cat?

I'm not a crate person generally but I know there are times when it's necessary and think it's up to the household to do what fits their needs. Of course, if a dog is continually crated or confined and muzzled, you'll never know what he is like being a regular dog. I think two months is plenty of time to give him more freedom.

Guest mpsoderberg

Just curious because it's not clear: Is he muzzled when he is crated or just when he's out and about the house and you're concerned about the cat?

I'm not a crate person generally but I know there are times when it's necessary and think it's up to the household to do what fits their needs. Of course, if a dog is continually crated or confined and muzzled, you'll never know what he is like being a regular dog. I think two months is plenty of time to give him more freedom.

Tanner is never muzzled. We did when we first introduced him to Izzy, but never again.

Keep us updated! I'm sure he'll enjoy his time at home. What's great is that he'll likely begin treating his room like he did his crate, and then you can transition him to the rest of your home when he's ready. :)

Kasey just hated his muzzle too - would scraped his face along the walls or bricks if he was outside....so I totally know where you are coming from :) Ryder could care less that it's on. Everydog is different.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

For what it's worth, my first greyhound came to live with 3 cats, and was only crated briefly (he hated his crate). My second greyhound lives with 2 cats and was crated for one day.

If he hasn't done anything in two months, my personal opinion is as long as the cats have a safe space to hid out in, he'll be fine with them.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

• 4 weeks later...

Wonderful! Thanks for updating!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a really good app called "Presence". You can set up a home security system using your tablets and old smartphones, and view them through your current smartphone. If you have old smart phones or a tablet there is no cost to set it up.

We did this to monitor our greyhound when transitioning from crate to free roaming in the house. He hated his crate - whined all day.

We set up a couple of old iphones in the living room and kitchen. We left the house for a short time and watched him, and gradually increased the time. Now he watches us leave through the kitchen window and then sleeps on his bed in the living room, but I still check on him throughout the day :)

Edited by TMag

• 3 months later...
Guest mpsoderberg

Just following up to this post: Tanner roams free every weekday happily with no accidents [but I'm sure that now that I have typed this, I will go home to pee in the living room] :flip

Hey, what's a little pee between friends? Good to know :yay

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Guest fannysmom

I would attempt to try some short excursions away with no kennel. The kennel has its place but locked in a cage all day for life is no life.

Guest mpsoderberg

I would attempt to try some short excursions away with no kennel. The kennel has its place but locked in a cage all day for life is no life.

We have gone on a few weekends away with Tanner, and he has done great! As long as he has his favorite bed, he is good to go. Have bed, will travel :)