Tick Control - On Trifexis, No Preventic Collar - What Else Would Work

I have Logan and Max on Trifexis, which handles worms and fleas but not ticks. Plan was to keep them on preventic collars for ticks. But, Logan develops a neck rash from the preventic collar. Max is fine with it.

So, what other tick preventative could I use for Logan? I'd like to stick with the Trifexis since it seems to work and I have a full summer/fall supply.

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

I will probably get flamed by people telling me I am nuts but I use Springtime garlic granules for dogs and the truth is it is a rarity to find a tick on my dogs. I do also use the Preventic collar and have for years with no problems and high success. Actually I take garlic myself for the same reason and I definitely find far fewer ticks on myself when I am on the garlic. Me and my working K9 are exposed to more wilderness than most as she is a search dog so it is a fact that at least for us it works. Quite a few Search & Rescue K9's and especially their handlers are infected due to their high exposure to the wilderness areas. I also liberally use tick repellants for myself and the K9.

Thanks for the suggestions. I may switch to Bravecto when the Trifexis runs out, but I hate doing it now. Besides the cost, since fall 2015 they have been switched from Frontline Plus to Capstar, Comfortis, and now Trifexis. I think it would be better for them to stay on the same thing for a few months. I also get nervous about something that is expected to last 4 months -- if they vomit it back up a few hours later, are they dosed or not? I may try the seresto collar, but I think Logan's problem may be more the physical abrasion of the collar rather than an allergic reaction. I took the preventic collar off him for a few days, the rash healed, then I put it back on very loosely, but the rash came back.

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

Does DE work on Ticks? I know it does for fleas......

I used it in my house, and on the dog beds, when I had an infestation a couple of years ago. I got rid of the ticks, but I also used a spray around the baseboards, so I don't know if it was the combo, or what exactly was effective.

And no, of course I don't remember the name of the spray :)

I am trying to be natural with the tick/flea stuff. I spray with mint and clove oil (they have no negative reaction so far), About every 7-10 days, My guys used to use the spot on stuff, but after two of them got very sick, And that was when I used it only at the half amount, I wanted to go natural. It really depends on where you live and the exposure they have to the environment and other critters. We live next to a state park on two sides of us. We have a fenced in yard and we keep the grass well trimmed and the weeds down. I use no pesticides anywhere near them. Sometimes one has to worry about the pesticides that the neighbors use, because they can be blown into your yard by the wind, or carried by the rain, etc. Education in your counties and help others be more aware of things that can hurt our pets. Some folks just do not think about what they use in their space. Also if you live in the country, ask the farmer what he is spraying on the property when planting and spraying for weeds and insects. That stuff blows in our yards and also can hurt our kids and fur babies and more. A lot of farmers have gone to using foam with the products to keep the dust down. Always good to have an alternative product to suggest to the neighbors if you speak to them about what is on the grass, crops, etc. No one likes people in their face. I know and apologize for getting on my soap box, but sometimes we blame ourselves for what happens to our fur babies, because we do not know what other environmental things in other yards are doing to them. :ghplaybow

Hmmm, so my guys could be tick-free and minty fresh? Actually that might not be a bad choice, they only go to the city park and stay on the trail (except moving into the brush to smell) so not heavily exposed, and they are already protected against fleas and worms. I recall reading elsewhere here that trifexis might actually also work against ticks, just not for four full weeks. So maybe spraying them with a shot of mint/clove oil about three weeks in would be that extra safety measure.

Rob