Euthanasia

Guest TahoeMom

Guest Bean_Scotch

....Let me explain a few things....

1.) vets aren't horrible human beings that try to make your pets last moments horrible. ** happens. Dogs react different to drugs, just like humans. Just because 1 pet had a horrible experience, doesn't mean the drug 'doesn't work'. They went through 9 years of schooling....but they are human too.

2.) I'm sure the vet felt some of the same emotions you did....even if they didn't show it. How do I know? Because working at a vet I see what happens AFTER the vet leaves the room and has to go get a tissue or 'but on a happy face' because the next appointment is a new puppy visit.

Unfortunately, not all dogs read the euthanasia manual and follow the protocoll. Try as we all might to make the experience as painless as possible, not a single human being on earth is perfect.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vets have a higher suicide rate than most other medical professions and I think part of that my be the pain of doing euthanasia over and over and some gone bad. All my vets have made sure to use more than the prescribed dosage for the second shot but 58# Bellla just would't give up. He finally went to reload and thankfully she passed while he was in the back getting more.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest TahoeMom

It takes a lot of courage to put your dog down, especially if they are still walking around. But Brendan told me in so many ways that he was done. He was only 8. He started feeling sick every day. He did not understand why he felt so sick. He felt bad. He had a lot of spirit. He wanted not to just be with me. He wanted to be with me 100%. And I felt bad that he was willing to hang in with us for almost a whole year after his diagnosis. We had a choice. He didn't. So much love. On both sides.

You must have a good relationship with your vet. You and the vet and your dog need to be a team. I would never, ever take a dog to VESCONE in Waltham. Even if it was a mistake. Even if it was just one time. It was the one time I needed my poor dog to be put down gently. ONE TIME. The last time.

A lot of people think that it is best to let nature take its course. I just thought it was better to ease my pup's pain. But what do I know? I put my faith and trust in the vets who want the same things I do. It is just awful. And sad. I tried waiting with Tahoe and then regretted not putting him to sleep sooner.

I'm sorry about what you went through with your boy, a less than peaceful death is what I always fear for my dogs. My beautiful boy, Carl, died suddenly at home. No one, including the vet saw it coming, but it came and it was horrific. Honestly, if I'd had the means to overdose him and let him go myself I'd have done it. There was no time to even get him to an e-vet or get one to my house. So, as far as people saying let nature take its course, that seems like a very naive "romantic" notion, magical thinking to me. I'll never forget that night, it sears my soul. I'll always feel like I let him down in what was truly his last hour.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I've helped 4 of my greys over the bridge, most emergencies that had to be at a vets hospital but my last big girl, Zoe, I was able to plan and have a mobile vet come to our home. All this vet does is euthanasias. It was the most peaceful passing of all experienced. They took her away in a black PT Cruiser. The cost was VERY reasonable here in central Pennsylvania $350 with a communal cremation and burial but her name is on a plaque.

I'm so sorry you had such an experience :candle

Guest TahoeMom

I'm sorry about what you went through with your boy, a less than peaceful death is what I always fear for my dogs. My beautiful boy, Carl, died suddenly at home. No one, including the vet saw it coming, but it came and it was horrific. Honestly, if I'd had the means to overdose him and let him go myself I'd have done it. There was no time to even get him to an e-vet or get one to my house. So, as far as people saying let nature take its course, that seems like a very naive "romantic" notion, magical thinking to me. I'll never forget that night, it sears my soul. I'll always feel like I let him down in what was truly his last hour.

Thank you. I'm so sorry about Carl. You helped me to remember that we can only try to control our pet's end of life. When, at the end, it is really completely out of our control. My dog let me know when he was done. But you didn't even get a chance to say goodbye to Carl, he went so quickly. Either way, it is a mixed, bittersweet blessing. I'm trying to remember all the good times. I am betting that they will supercede the bad over time for both of us. Take care. :(

I've helped 4 of my greys over the bridge, most emergencies that had to be at a vets hospital but my last big girl, Zoe, I was able to plan and have a mobile vet come to our home. All this vet does is euthanasias. It was the most peaceful passing of all experienced. They took her away in a black PT Cruiser. The cost was VERY reasonable here in central Pennsylvania $350 with a communal cremation and burial but her name is on a plaque.

I'm so sorry you had such an experience :candle

Mobile vets are the best! I'm going that route from now on. Thanks for your post.