Euthanasia

Guest TahoeMom

Guest TahoeMom

I recently euthanized my greyhound, Brendan, who had kidney failure. I had euthanized my previous greyhound, Tahoe, and he went peacefully, so I didn't expect anything else the second time. For Tahoe, the first injection was calming and prepared the way for the second injection. But Brendan reacted frigteningly to the first injection which was propofol, I think. The injection made a loud noise at the end for some reason, and Brendan started jumping around wildly. Rather than calming him down, he appeared to panic for what seemed like a long 60 seconds or so. He finally just lay down, but we were just horrified, as you can imagine.

Has anybody else experienced a less than peaceful euthanasia? Was this a greyhound-specific reaction? Or was the vet inept? Is there anything we can or should do to ensure a more peaceful euthanasia? Should I talk to the vet or another vet? I mean, it should not be violent. No restraints. No panic. I just feel terrible. :-(

Thank you for any and all comments and suggestions.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me begin by saying how terribly sorry I am at the loss of your beloved Brendan and Tahoe. I accompany you in your grief. While I have no answers for you, I am interested in any responses that you get since I may be looking at putting my Wendy to rest in the very near future. If and when the need arises, all I want for my girl is that she go home in peace.

Having witnessed my GSD's nightmare euthanasia many years ago, there is no way that I want that for Wendy. Looking back, I now feel that the vet was inept. It took several injections and what seemed like an eternity for Tammy to cross over. Although she did not appear distressed the whole event just took too long. It was very distressing for me because I perceived it as her not wanting to go.

I'm sure that our GT family will offer us good counsel.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Poodle was a less than peaceful euthanasia. It was the first shot that sent him off the tracks...and I don't think my vet is inept by any means. He says he uses more than the recommended dosage of both shots but it didn't work with Poodle.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Paulie received a shot to relax him and then the vet could not find a good vein to put him to sleep. She shaved his legs in several places and every vein collapsed. I finally told her to try his neck and that worked. The undertaker was waiting outside with his van to take Paul away. It was awful. The vet was crying, I was crying and the undertaker was pacing.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Unfortunately some dogs do not have the "normal" reaction to some drugs. I don't think there is anyway to know ahead of time :( I have never experienced that drastic a reaction, but I have had animals that were not calmed by the first shot and needed more shots, and I am sure the vets were competent.

Perhaps the vets/techs here can offer some better advice :bighug

Tigger's wasn't violent (they'd already given him a mild sedative so they could x-ray), but it took half-again as much of the second med to stop his heart. And then there were some muscle contractions in his chest that made it look as if his heart was still beating. And I know this vet is good and gets far too much practice. (She's a vet at the ER, and she put Jacey to sleep five years ago.)

I think there can just be idiosyncratic reactions in some dogs and unless the vet has had to give the dog the same med previously, there's no way to predict it.

But I'll be watching for posts here from some of Greytalk's vet/med folks...

I'm sorry Brendan's passing wasn't peaceful. My Oreo threw a blood clot during surgery to repair a broken bone, and when the vet called to tell me, his staff was doing CPR on her. I heard awful noises in the background--I don't know if it was related to the CPR or not--but those sounds have stayed with me for 10 years. I think I screamed at him to let her go, and he had to repeat the question because he needed a witness to hear that I was telling him to stop, and all I wanted was an end to those sounds. Everything about the last 24 hours of Oreo's life was a nightmare.

I hate to tell you, but you won't forget this. It'll be less sharp in your mind after a while, but you'll remember. Go ahead and learn what you need to know now, in case there really is something you can have done differently in the future. But don't beat yourself up over this: you did everything Brendan needed you to do--including being there for him at the end.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Unfortunately some dogs do not have the "normal" reaction to some drugs. I don't think there is anyway to know ahead of time :(

I've been fortunate that my animals have all had peaceful, calm passings when euthanasia was necessary. However, I've heard of animals having less than an easy time. I'm so sorry that you lost Brendan and that his passing was difficult.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Guest TahoeMom

Wow. Thank you so much friends. I do not feel alone in this awful, but necessary, process. I guess I just want to know I wont ever see it ever again. And I agree, this will stay with me a long, long time....When the memory creeps up on me, I try to counter it with a memory of him running fast and wild in the field. It sustains me. xxxxo

Guest TahoeMom

Let me begin by saying how terribly sorry I am at the loss of your beloved Brendan and Tahoe. I accompany you in your grief. While I have no answers for you, I am interested in any responses that you get since I may be looking at putting my Wendy to rest in the very near future. If and when the need arises, all I want for my girl is that she go home in peace.

Having witnessed my GSD's nightmare euthanasia many years ago, there is no way that I want that for Wendy. Looking back, I now feel that the vet was inept. It took several injections and what seemed like an eternity for Tammy to cross over. Although she did not appear distressed the whole event just took too long. It was very distressing for me because I perceived it as her not wanting to go.

I'm sure that our GT family will offer us good counsel.

Your Wendy is in my prayers. I think if you can maybe tell the vet ahead of time to be gentle with the first shot. I would also offer that Tahoe was euthanized at home. Mainly because he couldn't walk. But the mobile vet seemed to really know her stuff. Could just be a coincidence. Or maybe they are just more relaxed at home. I don't know. All I know is my Brendan was a trooper. And he is in a better place now. It all happens so quickly in the grand scheme of things. Don't worry....

Tigger's wasn't violent (they'd already given him a mild sedative so they could x-ray), but it took half-again as much of the second med to stop his heart. And then there were some muscle contractions in his chest that made it look as if his heart was still beating. And I know this vet is good and gets far too much practice. (She's a vet at the ER, and she put Jacey to sleep five years ago.)

I think there can just be idiosyncratic reactions in some dogs and unless the vet has had to give the dog the same med previously, there's no way to predict it.

But I'll be watching for posts here from some of Greytalk's vet/med folks...

I'm sorry Brendan's passing wasn't peaceful. My Oreo threw a blood clot during surgery to repair a broken bone, and when the vet called to tell me, his staff was doing CPR on her. I heard awful noises in the background--I don't know if it was related to the CPR or not--but those sounds have stayed with me for 10 years. I think I screamed at him to let her go, and he had to repeat the question because he needed a witness to hear that I was telling him to stop, and all I wanted was an end to those sounds. Everything about the last 24 hours of Oreo's life was a nightmare.

I hate to tell you, but you won't forget this. It'll be less sharp in your mind after a while, but you'll remember. Go ahead and learn what you need to know now, in case there really is something you can have done differently in the future. But don't beat yourself up over this: you did everything Brendan needed you to do--including being there for him at the end.

I'm so sorry to hear about your Oreo. :-( I won't beat myself up. And you are in my thoughts and prayers. I guess it is the territory of pet ownership. We have to take the good with the bad. I just wish the vets were more cognizant about the breed. I don't think they are. I have a litany of complaints about Brendan and Tahoe's care. :-(

Paulie received a shot to relax him and then the vet could not find a good vein to put him to sleep. She shaved his legs in several places and every vein collapsed. I finally told her to try his neck and that worked. The undertaker was waiting outside with his van to take Paul away. It was awful. The vet was crying, I was crying and the undertaker was pacing.

I'm so sorry for your loss. It is awful. I don't my vet was crying. At least your vet cried. I'm so sorry. :-(

Poodle was a less than peaceful euthanasia. It was the first shot that sent him off the tracks...and I don't think my vet is inept by any means. He says he uses more than the recommended dosage of both shots but it didn't work with Poodle.

Yes. Something about Propofol? I'm so sorry about Poodle. It makes me wonder about euthanasia.. A lot of people think that it is best to let nature take its course. I just thought it was better to ease my pup's pain. But what do I know? I put my faith and trust in the vets who want the same things I do. It is just awful. And sad. I tried waiting with Tahoe and then regretted not putting him to sleep sooner.

I am so sorry to read this :grouphug I have helped 10 dogs to the Bridge in the last five years. Most of them were euthanized at home, while the others I drove to the clinic and either carried them in or they stayed in my truck, as comfortable as we could get them. Andy had always been anxious going to clinic and before the 30 min ride, before we started out I gave him Benadryl to help him get sleepy. It was a good call. Without the Benadryl I am quite sure that his anxiety would have made for an awful time. All the others left quietly.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest TahoeMom

I am so sorry to read this :grouphug I have helped 10 dogs to the Bridge in the last five years. Most of them were euthanized at home, while the others I drove to the clinic and either carried them in or they stayed in my truck, as comfortable as we could get them. Andy had always been anxious going to clinic and before the 30 min ride, before we started out I gave him Benadryl to help him get sleepy. It was a good call. Without the Benadryl I am quite sure that his anxiety would have made for an awful time. All the others left quietly.

Yeah. That is what I was wondering. They get amped up going to the vet. Maybe the anxiety of being there made Brendan panic. I will definitely pay the $1000 next time to do it at home. It was a better experience all around for everyone. Thank you.

I'm so sorry about Poodle. It makes me wonder about euthanasia.. A lot of people think that it is best to let nature take its course.

Have do disagree. Poodle was diabetic, totally deaf and almost totally blind and had survived two strokes. When what we suspect was the third one happened it was time to send him into the good night.

My sister kept her 16 year dog that was totally disoriented and distressed alive through a whole weekend waiting for nature when he was obviously failing and I firmly believe that was a disservice.

$1,000???? my vet will come to the house for $60 plus the $100 euth fee. Talk about cost of living differences.

Yeah. That is what I was wondering. They get amped up going to the vet. Maybe the anxiety of being there made Brendan panic. I will definitely pay the $1000 next time to do it at home. It was a better experience all around for everyone. Thank you.

Not sure where you are located but $1k for home euth sounds incredibly high. Our vet is not that high, nor is another vet (not at our clinic) whose primary offering is home euth for pets.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest TahoeMom

Not sure where you are located but $1k for home euth sounds incredibly high. Our vet is not that high, nor is another vet (not at our clinic) whose primary offering is home euth for pets.

Boston area. Home euthanasia is about $600 more than at the vet's office. Of course that includes cremation and delivery of remains. Sorry to sound so money-conscious. I would pay even more to ensure a peaceful passing.

Pet cremation here runs around $100 plus around $1 per pound... including a ceder or oak box and delivery within two days. I love love love the retied firefighters that run the crematorium I use.... but find it slightly ironic. Cannot praise them enough. IIRC 80 pound Buddy was $180 and 27 pound P1 was $150.

My direct cremation has been arranged for $675 in Quinlan TX for $675 but I have to bring my own urn. :lol

http://petmemoriescremation.com/#ourservices

Edited by Hubcitypam

Guest Bean_Scotch

Those things can happen, but the dog isn't aware of them actually happening. The first greyhound I had to euthanize the vet was horrible. She stabbed him, made him scream, flail, bleed and snap. I had to put a muzzle on him. The rest went okay.

The second greyhound I had to euthanize was gasping for air as they couldn't get all the solution in because her veins kept collapsing. I don't think it was the vet this time, it was just her.
The third greyhound went peacefully.
The fourth Greyhound went peacefully
The fifth Greyhound went peacefully

The sixth ended up having blood run out of her nose, but other than that she went peacefully.

so it just depends on the dog. I do 100% think the vet was inept the first time and to this day have never let her touch one of my dogs. The rest I think where just the way the dogs were and related to the issues they had that ended up with euthanasia as the decision.

I am so sorry about Brendan, and that he had a panicked minute which must have seemed like an hour. :grouphug

I've had five dogs euthanized over the years, and all went peacefully. Eve objected to having her leg held for the shot -- she always HATED having her front legs handled. Bazzy's strong heart took two shots.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest TahoeMom

Pet cremation here runs around $100 plus around $1 per pound... including a ceder or oak box and delivery within two days. I love love love the retied firefighters that run the crematorium I use.... but find it slightly ironic. Cannot praise them enough. IIRC 80 pound Buddy was $180 and 27 pound P1 was $150.

My direct cremation has been arranged for $675 in Quinlan TX for $675 but I have to bring my own urn. :lol

http://petmemoriescremation.com/#ourservices

Such a deal. I haven't thought about mine yet. I just wanted to give my pets a painfree transition. I will make it my mission.

Those things can happen, but the dog isn't aware of them actually happening. The first greyhound I had to euthanize the vet was horrible. She stabbed him, made him scream, flail, bleed and snap. I had to put a muzzle on him. The rest went okay.

The second greyhound I had to euthanize was gasping for air as they couldn't get all the solution in because her veins kept collapsing. I don't think it was the vet this time, it was just her.

The third greyhound went peacefully.

The fourth Greyhound went peacefully

The fifth Greyhound went peacefully

The sixth ended up having blood run out of her nose, but other than that she went peacefully.

so it just depends on the dog. I do 100% think the vet was inept the first time and to this day have never let her touch one of my dogs. The rest I think where just the way the dogs were and related to the issues they had that ended up with euthanasia as the decision.

I guess it does depend on the dog. It breaks my heart, though. It should not be that difficult at the end. It just should not.

I am so sorry about Brendan, and that he had a panicked minute which must have seemed like an hour. :grouphug

I've had five dogs euthanized over the years, and all went peacefully. Eve objected to having her leg held for the shot -- she always HATED having her front legs handled. Bazzy's strong heart took two shots.

I think the way they harness the injection site is crucial. There was some kind of bubble in the syringe, and it made a loud noise as it was emptied, which spooked Brendan.

I'm so sorry that your experience was not as hoped.

To follow up on some of the previous posts concerning the costs .... At home euthanasia is costly where I am (near Boston). The fee for the vet to come out was based on an hourly charge plus extra for "out-of-service" area. It did not include the cremation or transport but, they do help to load into your car (if the animal is not too big). Price would come out to be about 600 - 800 with just basic no-frills box.

The high price could be that there are not many vets that provide this service in my area and you would think this would be a great area. Both the vets that provide the service (that I know), would have to travel a good distance to get here - just the travel time would be close to 2 hours.

The funeral home where I'm going is really considering doing pet cremations also but you can't use the same oven for pets and people according to him.

Harley, my second grey was cremated by Lubbock animal services in a private cremation for $25.

Edited by Hubcitypam

Guest AtticusMom

I'm so sorry, TahoeMom. Over the years, four of my greys have gone to the bridge, and two kitties. One of my cats appeared to get quite agitated when she was given the first injection (we were at the emergency vet). This reaction didn't last for long, but I was very upset by it. She was very very sick, and even though I know we made the right decision, it was jarring. I think it is natural to second guess these things. But I believe, very deeply, that they are not in pain or suffering at this point.

Two of my greys passed at home (with the assistance of a vet), and two passed at the vet surgery (one at the e-vet). It pains me to think about it even now, but my greys that passed at the vet's office were in bad shape. They needed some extra assistance to have a peaceful passing. They would not have been able to do this comfortably at home. I know it's a cliche, but the "bad" memories will fade away and you will remember the good things.

In the UK it's not so common for dogs to have a sedative prior to the actual shot. I had an awful experience with one of my poodles. He had no sedative and the vet couldn't find a vein and the dog was thrashing around and crying. That was 30 years ago and I've never forgotten it. I think about it less often though.

I've been wondering about whether it's OK to give them drugs prior to euthanasia, since I may be facing it again soon. Does anyone know if it's OK to give drugs such as diazepam, tramadol and/or gabapentin prior to the euthanasia? I will check with my vet at some point, but just wondering if anyone here has any thoughts about this.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting