Signs Of Aging?

Tracker is 9 1/4 and has slowed down a bit. His walks are about half the length or less of before. He still does small amounts of zoomies with gusto. One thing I've noticed is that when he comes to a point in our walks where he'll probably want to turn around and go back, he'll always stand in one spot for a good 3 minutes and just LOOK. Where we live in a rural area, there are not many obvious things happening, but who knows what he sees. It's just kind of interesting to me. He's never done this in the past. Is this common? He'll also suddenly sleep with is eyes closed a lot more. Last evening, when I was trying to rouse him for his last potty walk, I noticed his eyes were closed, too; I gently touched his neck, and he very slowly opened his eyes, and then just stared straight into my eyes for a long time. It was almost eery. He didn't move at all, just locked into my eyes. As if he had just returned from very far away.

i was totally shocked when my new vet considered felix a senior when he turned 9!!! salukis never showed their age until the very end, it does seem as if greyhounds do. he too has shorter runs, feels the weather(in ny we have everything) and this year with our couple of surprise warm days in the low 80s was miserable. i do remember last summer he did terribly in the Texas heat, our female who is smaller(10#s lighter) is more resilient. every creature ages differently, borzoi from what my friends tell me don't show their age until arthritis sets in, some are still crazy at 13!!! from what i notice greyhounds unlike salukis seem to fit into the "large dog" category, they age faster.

yup, it's sad watching, my crazy welsh terrier didn't look or act a day over 6 until the last couple of months of his life which ended in his 15th year.

have you considered supplements?we are using http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/dog/dog-joint-bone-health/dasuquin-for-dogs , the soft chew w/ MSM as recommended by our vet. higher levels of mdm/glucosimine than other products. does it make a difference???? has your vet check all of his joints, back and over all reflexes? this might be a good time for a senior workup.

Edited by cleptogrey

Annie, who is 8-1/2, is showing aging signs. She loves our walks, but slows down sooner than previously. Of course, she loves cold weather -- anything above 20 degrees on a sunny day is hot to her -- so the temps we've had this month in the 50s to 80s are not to her liking so we take shorter walks but more frequently.

She also sleeps more, if that's possible, and deeper. It used to be that every time I walked around the house within her sight, she'd at least open her eyes and watch me. (I love the way they watch us just with their eyes, never moving the head.) Now sometimes she'll stay asleep even when I walk within 10 feet of her bed.

I know she has arthritis in her spine for which she is being treated. I know she has an auto-immune eye disease, again getting treatment. Her annual physical is in a couple of weeks so I'll find out if the vet thinks there's anything more happening. I can't believe it's been 5 years since she retired and almost 5 years since I adopted her.

Edited by Feisty49

He's missing a center front toe, and over time the knuckles have become enlarged, looking arthritic. He's always limped a tiny bit on that foot, ever since we got him at age 3, so I put a boot on that foot 6 years ago and all is well when we walk. I put him on Cosequin 3 months ago to see whether that would help. It made no difference. The boot is what works for him. He's had some shaking of the hind legs when standing and sniffing; I had his PT work on him and it's really made a difference. It's almost gone. I also got his CBC and thyroid tested last week, no results yet. His regular vet will see him in 3 weeks; I'll have her check specifically for age. I also will switch him to a higher protein diet once his current food is done.

He seems happy all in all, no major issues; just less energy. He's my first dog, and my heart just aches already at the prospect of losing him.

Feisty, I noticed that heat issue, too. He hates it more than ever. Where we live it's extremely rare for temps to go past 70, but even the average 61 we have here (with sunshine) are too much now. He's black, that doesn't help, but still.

Edited by christinepi

He's missing a center front toe, and over time the knuckles have become enlarged, looking arthritic. He's always limped a tiny bit on that foot, ever since we got him at age 3, so I put a boot on that foot 6 years ago and all is well when we walk. I put him on Cosequin 3 months ago to see whether that would help. It made no difference. The boot is what works for him. He's had some shaking of the hind legs when standing and sniffing; I had his PT work on him and it's really made a difference. It's almost gone. I also got his CBC and thyroid tested last week, no results yet. His regular vet will see him in 3 weeks; I'll have her check specifically for age. I also will switch him to a higher protein diet once his current food is done.

He seems happy all in all, no major issues; just less energy. He's my first dog, and my heart just aches already at the prospect of losing him.

Feisty, I noticed that heat issue, too. He hates it more than ever. Where we live it's extremely rare for temps to go past 70, but even the average 61 we have here (with sunshine) are too much now. He's black, that doesn't help, but still.

Annie's first winter up north (Albany, NY area) was 2011-12. She shivered if I so much as opened the door and she was standing near it. I bundled her up well so our walks were OK. By the following winter, she had hardened up I guess because she didn't shiver. After winter #2, she was an old hand at handling the cold, loving to run through the snow bare nekkid. LOL She hates being covered with a blanket. She hates PJs. She's so warm that when my hands are cold, I stick them in one of her pits to warm them up. Like you, I can't believe that the years are already showing on my girl, but with any luck, there are many more left!

Colin will be 12 in July and he gets more and more funny. He goes to his physiotherapy every month, has supplements, like st. john's wort, melisse and gingko for his food and always hypericum in the drinkwater.

A few days ago I was cuddling with Paddy and Colin walked up to me, looked at me and bit me in the forearm. It didn't hurt but was a reminder that he thought it was his turn, now. And suddenly he loves his vet. He was always nervous when he had to go there. Last week we went there for his shots he wagged his tail and demanded treaties - and not just a few...all treaties.

He is always happy but suddenly hates his coat and won't walk with it. I just let him be....crazy old boy.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Colin will be 12 in July and he gets more and more funny. He goes to his physiotherapy every month, has supplements, like st. john's wort, melisse and gingko for his food and always hypericum in the drinkwater.

A few days ago I was cuddling with Paddy and Colin walked up to me, looked at me and bit me in the forearm. It didn't hurt but was a reminder that he thought it was his turn, now. And suddenly he loves his vet. He was always nervous when he had to go there. Last week we went there for his shots he wagged his tail and demanded treaties - and not just a few...all treaties.

He is always happy but suddenly hates his coat and won't walk with it. I just let him be....crazy old boy.

That makes me think Tracker's new habit of stopping and just looking for minutes at a time may just be a newly acquired quirk. Not that I thought it was anything to worry about, but I wondered whether any other greys are doing this also.

Hi to a fellow German, I just noticed your location!

Edited by christinepi

Guest FordRacingRon

My girl has a month until she is 13.

Pretty much what the OP said is it. We walk around a park that is 3/4 of a mile. IN the old days,,,5 laps. Now on a great day, 1 lap. Sometimes you can see that after 1/2 lap we're done. You have to accept what is happening. I go more by time now then distance. My goal is to keep her on her feet and at least tootling along for 30 minutes. Leia started getting weird with her sleep/wake and eating habits at 10 but I won't go into that.

I started with the glucosamine stuff around her 7th and I think that is what kept her walking for this long (she does still run a bit int he yard everyday, albeit really slow now) and for that I am happy. But now I have her on stronger supplements my vet gave me last week because her rear end is getting pretty weak. We can't afford laser and all that type of stuff so we hope the supplements can help her.

My girl has a month until she is 13.

Pretty much what the OP said is it. We walk around a park that is 3/4 of a mile. IN the old days,,,5 laps. Now on a great day, 1 lap. Sometimes you can see that after 1/2 lap we're done. You have to accept what is happening. I go more by time now then distance. My goal is to keep her on her feet and at least tootling along for 30 minutes. Leia started getting weird with her sleep/wake and eating habits at 10 but I won't go into that.

I started with the glucosamine stuff around her 7th and I think that is what kept her walking for this long (she does still run a bit int he yard everyday, albeit really slow now) and for that I am happy. But now I have her on stronger supplements my vet gave me last week because her rear end is getting pretty weak. We can't afford laser and all that type of stuff so we hope the supplements can help her.

I use rice bran oil, originally for horses, 1 teaspoon on each meal. Combined with daily walks it helps wonders with the muscles. The oil acts like a natural form of anabolic steroids.

I had to reduce giving it to 10 year old Andy when he started looking like the doggie version of the Hulk..... not exactly green but you get the picture.

Hi to a fellow German, I just noticed your location!

Hi to you, too.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

http://www.nutramaxl...suquin-for-dogs are stronger than cosiquin and make sure it has MSM. i spoke to the company representative when i was at westminister kennel club he even said for a larger dog go w/ the dasaquin. i take MSM(trader joe's is pretty cheap and works) regularly since i am allergic to shell fish and can't go near anything w/ glucosamine.

i even tried a cream and then realized that it had glucosamine and had a major allergy attack.

some people find their dogs do well with the costco tablets gluc/crondoitin/msm (a bargain but they need to be smashed), i have dh on them! some like get up and go, i have tried all of the above(fresh factors had the lowest amount of active ingredients) but it's how your dog responds, if they do, to them.

as to the heat, last summer felix was wet more than dry, i was always hosing him down. we are teaching in san antonio again, but this year i'm leaving them in ny since he did so poorly. the kennel/home has a/c and he loves the person who runs it, it's a home situation and she has boarded him since he was 9 months old. yup, boarding the dogs for a month!!! but it's a wash since i'm not driving to texas- gas, tolls, hotels, meals and using frequent flyer milage.

Guest Loves4Greyz

We have an 8.5 male galgo that still plays like a puppy. Our almost 11 year old male grey has always been on the inactive side. When he retired at 2.5 he really retired. He jumps off our deck, does his business and then wants back in so that he can tackle his favorite bed. Our 7 year old female grey loves to run. I guess just different personalities.

How are your seniors as far as appetite? Any changes? My 10 year old has begun skipping meals more and more frequently; some days it's breakfast that's skipped, some days it'll be dinner. All of her senior panels came back within normal parameters and in all other aspects she's the same Wendy. It's not like she has no appetite because she will readily accept treats.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

How are your seniors as far as appetite? Any changes? My 10 year old has begun skipping meals more and more frequently; some days it's breakfast that's skipped, some days it'll be dinner. All of her senior panels came back within normal parameters and in all other aspects she's the same Wendy. It's not like she has no appetite because she will readily accept treats.

Annie's appetite revolves around the weather. She always eats her supper, but as the weather warms up, she'll either skip her breakfast or eat half of it, give or take. She goes off treats too, wanting fewer of them. My house has AC so it's not like she's always in a hot environment.

Guest FordRacingRon

Yup,,,this. Started about at 10. I won't go through all the nonsense I went through and some of Leia's eating habits,,,but suffice it to say it took from about 10 1/2 to 12 1/2 to finally get her on a acceptable diet and she is the perfect weight. It was so bad at one time the only thing I could get her to eat were chicken thighs form El Pollo Loco. I think you just have to stay vigilant, stay at it, and eventually you'll hit it. When this started with Leia a few here told me they had dogs that always skipped meals as they aged,,one even told me his would got 2 days and then binge eat. When Leia is hungry enough, she eats.

The only hard part is we now really have no set dining time as the old days when you could set your clock by her meals. Now breakfast,,if we eat it,,is between 8 and 11am. Dinner can be from 5-11pm. She won't eat one huge meal (I still think of when she would eat all her dinner in 30 seconds) either. So good old dad here has to give her maybe 5-6 small dinners between those hours. Yes she is spoiled. Yes I will take the blame. NO, I wouldn't have done it any other way. I live for my dog (an of course my wife!) because she came into our lives right when we needed her support.

Col went through an episode like that around the time when he turned 10. He decided that he would only eat special treaties like roasted chicken, dried beef and..... cheesecake. I changed his diet from kibble to raw and we came to an agreement about breakfast and dinner. And don't forget dessert, mom...;-)

Yup,,,this. Started about at 10. I won't go through all the nonsense I went through and some of Leia's eating habits,,,but suffice it to say it took from about 10 1/2 to 12 1/2 to finally get her on a acceptable diet and she is the perfect weight. It was so bad at one time the only thing I could get her to eat were chicken thighs form El Pollo Loco. I think you just have to stay vigilant, stay at it, and eventually you'll hit it. When this started with Leia a few here told me they had dogs that always skipped meals as they aged,,one even told me his would got 2 days and then binge eat. When Leia is hungry enough, she eats.

The only hard part is we now really have no set dining time as the old days when you could set your clock by her meals. Now breakfast,,if we eat it,,is between 8 and 11am. Dinner can be from 5-11pm. She won't eat one huge meal (I still think of when she would eat all her dinner in 30 seconds) either. So good old dad here has to give her maybe 5-6 small dinners between those hours. Yes she is spoiled. Yes I will take the blame. NO, I wouldn't have done it any other way. I live for my dog (an of course my wife!) because she came into our lives right when we needed her support.

Although I'm sorry to hear that your Leia (and you!) are going through this, I'm glad to know that it can be a natural part of Greyhound aging. I say Greyhound because none of my other various and sundry breeds and mixes went through anything like this. And yes! Previously, mealtime was set at 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. I continue serving the Duchess (as we call her) at the regular time but, basically, she'll eat - or not - whenever she feels like it. As I said in another "appetite" thread - I'll do anything it takes to keep my girl :ghplaybow and :gh_runner

Yes she is spoiled.

FordRacingRon - IMHO - This is not spoiling. :shakefinger It is a loving commitment to the welfare of a one of the most glorious creatures in Creation! And good on you for being such a caring Dad! :bow2:yay I hope that Princess Leia continues to do well under your loving care. :nod

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".