Wetherby Martingale Co. Introducing BIOTHANE

a_daerr

Some exciting news, Wetherby's is introducing a new line of collars made with BIOTHANE!  :bounce2

A couple quick facts about Biothane, it is a coated webbing product that has been around since 1977. It has the thickness and consistency of leather, but is made with no animal byproducts. Biothane differs from our current collection because they are great "everyday" collars. Biothane is waterproof, durable, easy to clean, and totally stink proof. It has been used in the industry primarily for horse tack and collars for hunting/working dogs. It is designed not to fade or wear out over time. 

With that being said, we have not come across many existing prototypes of biothane collars as martingales. Also, we would like to make our collars at least somewhat adjustable to account for measurement errors, weight/fur loss or gain, etc. So here's what we started with. 

large.87775498_2761024924011095_4130419952064659456_o-2.jpg.4838c5361d4847d3a3685e56ee2870fe.jpg

The one on the left has the adjustable part as the long strap. The one on the right has the adjustable part as the control loop. 

Some initial thoughts. Pros for #1, functionality is better. You can unbuckle the collar to put it on the dog without losing the control loop. Cons, the rivets are a bit more obvious. More work is needed to determine if there need to be one or two rivets on either side of the D-ring for safety. Pros for #2, the buckle part on the control loop doubles back, which hides the rivets and makes it appear more low-profile. Overall looks nicer. Cons, the weight of the buckle makes the control loop heavier, which I expect will hang down when the dog is wearing it. When it's unbuckled, user will have to thread it back through the triglide to put it back on (this may only be true of the first time it's fitted/adjusted; user could take on and off by slipping it over the dog's head). In either of these, the collar will need to take a little bit of "breaking in" in order for the control loop to lie flat. 

Two other options would be (1) a martingale chain- although these are limited choke, greyhound folks tend to have a negative association with anything that looks or acts like a "choke chain." Then, the last possibility would be (2) a limited slip style strap, this as opposed to a full control loop. I'll mess around with this so I can post a picture of exactly what it looks like. The downside would be that the D-ring sticks out a little bit like a "tab." 

Interested to hear everyone's feedback! Don't hold back! :)

Edited by a_daerr

Love it...it reminds me of Ben though, so I'm a little sad too.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Will the new designs be printed on the same quality tee shirt that you used for your Wetherby mustache? I loved that fabric! Soft, cozy, great fit and not bulky.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Love it...it reminds me of Ben though, so I'm a little sad too.

Jan... I'm right there with you. Henry was my inspiration on this one. Heart dogs never truly leave us. :cry1

Will the new designs be printed on the same quality tee shirt that you used for your Wetherby mustache? I loved that fabric! Soft, cozy, great fit and not bulky.

Ducky, yes! Exact same one! We also added some sweatshirts and hoodies of the same brand that are also super soft.

• 7 months later...

A few more cute buckle collars for sale. As for sighthounds go, these can be used as tag collars (in the house, in addition to a harness or martingale). For all other breeds, they're durable with stainless steel buckles and hardware and perfect for walking on leash. $15 a piece, free shipping on two or more. PM me for details. :)

amphqe.jpg

Alicia, just popping in to say I love my sweatshirt. :)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

And I love my T-shirt (but you already know that :) )

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross