Should I Be Worried?

Today we took one of our cats for grooming. Since this was his first time, the groomer gave us a little packet with some freeze-dried cat treats, and a tiny little toy--a pipe cleaner twisted into a cat toy.

When we got home, DD took one of the treats and gave it to Phoebe. Then, before I realized what was happening, she took the cat toy out of the baggie and threw it onto the kitchen floor for Silas (the cat).....well, of course Phoebe the Pig Dog ran over and promptly swallowed it!! [This confirms my suspicion that she will eat ANYTHING.]

Is this going to be ok? I gave her a hamburger bun right after she ate the toy, will that help? I was told once, when a dog ate chicken bones (cooked) to feed them bread, so I figured maybe it will help??

Should I be worried? should I do anything else??

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Not much more to do at this point. I would watch her poop for a few days to make sure it passes, and to make sure she keeps eliminating. If you see any blood, bloody diarrhea, she acts stopped up, or starts vomiting, get to a vet right away.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

The good news is that the pipe cleaner has reappeared!

The bad news is that it reappeared at 4:00 this morning, puked up on my bedroom carpet. :lol

At least it's out of the dog, and now there are no more worries! :)

And why do they always happen on the carpet or the bedspread--never on the kitchen floor?

Better traction. I have been known to pick up a horking cat mid-hork to move him/her to a hard floor. :lol Doesn't work so well with greyhounds, alas.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Better traction. I have been known to pick up a horking cat mid-hork to move him/her to a hard floor. :lol Doesn't work so well with greyhounds, alas.

My sister once tried that very thing when one of her cats was puking....she broke her foot in the process!!

Aaaaaaaaaaah, glad it re-emerged!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

My sister once tried that very thing when one of her cats was puking....she broke her foot in the process!!

Oh no! Did she slip in it?! I bet that was a story the doctors hadn't heard before. :lol

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly

Oh no! Did she slip in it?! I bet that was a story the doctors hadn't heard before. :lol

She was in the process of lunging toward the cat, hoping to get the cat to a hard surface, when she somehow broke her foot. No slipping in the puke involved. :lol She had a Jones fracture, and the first doctor she went to casted her; then she developed blood clots so they removed the cast and gave her a boot. It all happened right before we all went to Costa Rica on a service trip. She went, though, with crutches and all! Nothing will keep MY sister from going on a trip! :lol

In hindsight, she probably should've just dealt with the puke on the carpet. ;)

She was in the process of lunging toward the cat, hoping to get the cat to a hard surface, when she somehow broke her foot. No slipping in the puke involved. :lol She had a Jones fracture, and the first doctor she went to casted her; then she developed blood clots so they removed the cast and gave her a boot. It all happened right before we all went to Costa Rica on a service trip. She went, though, with crutches and all! Nothing will keep MY sister from going on a trip! :lol

In hindsight, she probably should've just dealt with the puke on the carpet. ;)

Yes, I'd say so. :lol Wow!

Things are looking up. I think most of the puke stains came out of the carpet; Phoebe goes to the vet this afternoon for her annual checkup, and she seems to have no ill effects from her little 'treat'. ;)

Thank heavens for small favors. :)

And if anyone is wondering, no, I did not wash the pipe cleaner cat toy off and give it to the cats, in spite of it coming out much like it went in, if a bit more swelled up. :lol

Edited by rascalsmom

Guest Scouts_mom

When I got dogs, my cat's got their toys edited. No small toys unless they are made only of paper or fabric--sorry cats. My first introduction to this problem is when my dog swallowed a small furry mouse--when it came out I learned that it was plastic covered with fur--not good for doggy guts. Luckily fabric catnip mice and toilet paper tubes are okay and fun to play with (according to the cats).

Edited by Scouts_mom