Loss Of Hair On Neck/skin Irritation

Guest sarajean66

Guest sarajean66

Hi everyone, new poster here!

I tried to look through old threads and found information, but I am pretty concerned about my Rosie's neck.

We got her a new collar a few weeks ago so I'm thinking this is most likely the issue, but if any one could take a look at the pics and offer some advice I would greatly appreciate it. The red part on the bottom is fresh from her scratching and has since gone away, leaving just a bald patch.

It started with a small bald patch right under her neck where the tags usually hang, however the skin has become irritated and she keeps scratching it, creating more bald patches. I have noticed some areas on her chest to have thinning hair, but no irritation. She did just go through a major shed (is that normal in the fall??).

I have obviously taken her collar off and have been putting a vitamin E based lotion on the scabs.... any other advice?

We have not changed her diet, although I was putting a scoop of coconut oil in her food and have recently run out, so I will be using that again when I buy more this week.

I've been scaring myself, reading about hypothyrodism, allergies etc... and don't want to rush her to the vet for them to tell me it's her collar.

Thanks so much for your help!

IMG_1168_zpskccixlrg.jpg

That looks pretty significant to me. I would go to the vet. Even if it is her collar, she needs some attention to what the collar caused. There is a prednisone powder that works very well on skin issues and maybe that is what your vet might prescribe. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I agree that a vet visit is in order. My Sweep has a small bald spot on her neck, but it doesn't seem to itch or irritate her the way Rosie's does. Is there something different about the new collar you bought? I wonder if she might be allergic to the metal in the buckle or tags. If it's not an allergy, you might try switching to a satin-lined collar, and/or using a tag bag or Boomerang CollarTag so nothing's hanging off the collar and potentially bothering her.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Have you run your hand around the inside of the collar? Is it sewn with nylon thread?

Any sign of fleas or flea dirt?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Have you run your hand around the inside of the collar? Is it sewn with nylon thread?

I meant to ask about that too. Those pokey pieces of nylon can be really sharp.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Guest sarajean66

thanks for the replies!

it feels like it's just normal thread on the inside of the collar

I also was wondering if it could be a metal allergy...

my other greyhound hasn't had an issue with his new collar.

and let me google what flea dirt looks like.... we were up at a beachfront cottage a few weekends ago as well...

Flea dirt looks like pepper only round. Check around the base of the tail.

Years ago I had to pick up a dumped returned greyhound. They'd only had him for a month. They complained about him scratching his neck to pieces. It was fleas.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

i would try hydrocortisone and aloe cream on the spots and a soft loose tag collar and use a harness until the irritation subsides.watch and see if the harness irritates the skin as well- that will be under the arm/legs at the chest. if you don't have a change, redness gone within a week of a new regime then approach the vet. be generous w/ the cream, i've used it on hot spots and it's soothing, costco sells it in quantity cheap. it does look like she's been scratching the area as well(dremel nails?)

the only harness that doesn't remove hair from my male is the Harnesslead http://www.harnesslead.com

Guest sarajean66

So no flea dirt that I could tell, I checked both pups. She seems to have stopped scratching since the vitamin E lotion, so the redness has gone away. I will definitely look into that hydrocortisone cream... I think that would be beneficial!!

thanks everyone for the suggestions, I'll keep you updated!

vit e does wonders once the area is healed. felix ran thru a pet door and managed to remove a huge clump of hair on his shoulder. it was red and bruised. it remained naked(no signs of hair growth) until i started the vit e(bit open a capsule and applied it daily) and within 2-3 weeks the area filled in 100%!!!

This is the time of year when my first dog as an adult got allergies. Normal hair loss from a collar would not normally itch like that obviously does, so I'm suggesting seasonal allegies.

The vet will probably have you try an antihistamine to see if the itching stops.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

If it is allergies, Zirtec works better than Benadryl.

tiny hada siggy.png