Lymphoma?

Guest Kryspen

Just wanted to pop in and say I'm so sorry for what you're going through. :grouphug

When my Henry was diagnosed with cancer and required special food, we started feeding our dogs in two separate rooms- I just babygated one in our bedroom and left my other downstairs. That way, they didn't really know what each other was eating, so we didn't have to worry about jealousy issues. They were on a feeding schedule, so they got 15 minutes to eat twice a day. Sometimes I'd sneak Henry treats when Truman was outside in the yard. This went on for almost 2 years! Just kind of became part of our routine.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is she feeling? :wub:

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Kryspen

How is she feeling? :wub:

Well, it's a little hard to tell, especially as dogs have this habit of pretending all is well when it isn't. But she's feeding like a pig - anything she can get her mouth on. Otherwise she seems to be quite OK at the moment

That is good to hear :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I hope Pebbles is still doing well. I believe it was her 10th birthday yesterday? Lymphoma can be unpredictable and response to treatment, whether pred only or chemo, can vary. I believe in 'preparing for the worse, but hoping for the best'. One of my clinic staff member's dogs was diagnosed with lymphoma last month, started on pred, and we euthanized him only weeks later because he started to decline. I also had a patient who did well for 8 months on pred only, and for the last few months, her lymph nodes were big, but they didn't bother her at all. So I wouldn't necessarily use the size of the lymph nodes as an indicator of when it's time. Just saw a patient today who was diagnosed over 2 years ago, had chemo, and is still in remission.

My older vet told me that used chemo for lymphoma long ago but after many years he quit doing it. He said it just didn't ever buy enough time to justify the cost and putting the dog through it. He still suggests it for other cancers, but not lymphoma.

The data is pretty solid that the "median survival time" for lymphoma if treated with chemo is about 12-18 months. "Median survival time" means that 1/2 of patients will not make it that long, but 1/2 will survive longer, similar but not quite the same as an average. So while there are no guarantees, lymphoma is one of the cancers that is most likely to respond to chemo. I give my clients the statistics and let them decide if chemo is an option they want to pursue. For some, the chance to get that extra 12-18 months is worth the time and cost involved. There's nothing wrong with deciding to go with pred only, either, but as a vet, I feel it is not my decision to make for my patients, but my job to educate the owners so *they* can make an informed decision.

Edited by JJNg

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest Kryspen

Well, just got back from the vet again. Carole (my wife) thought Pebs was in severe pain at night because she was panting, wandering, didn't seem able to settle, so I was prepared for the worst.

PTL it didn't happen. All those are side effects of pred and/or lymphoma. She's otherwise fit and well and putting weight on. Back to 24 kg (about 53lb) which was good. Came away with a pharmacy load of meds for her - pred, antibiotic, zantac and tramadol.

Thanks for all the support - please keep praying.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kryspen

Another Vet visit. He said she's doing very well - he couldn't feel most of her glands. She's also put on another pound (0.5 kg), She looks really good and is into everything. She's a loving, gorgeous dog.

I'm glad she is doing well. Our thoughts are with you during this difficult time. Pebbles is beautiful.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

So good to hear this. Hoping you have many many more wonderful, into-everything days together.