Lymphoma?

Guest Kryspen

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Kryspen

We're struggling to try and keep weight on Pebbles. She looks as though she's wasting away, even though we're feeding her up as much as we can. Is this her illness? When a dog loses weight rapidly how long can we expect her to last?

What can we expect to happen over the next few months? How will we know whether or not she is suffering. What do we need to look out for?

Will going on steroids give her any longer?

Guest Kryspen

She's not started on Pred, or any other steroid yet. That comes on Friday. Currently she's on Synulox and Myclin (at least I think that's what it says on the bottle).

We're struggling to try and keep weight on Pebbles. She looks as though she's wasting away, even though we're feeding her up as much as we can. Is this her illness? When a dog loses weight rapidly how long can we expect her to last?

What can we expect to happen over the next few months? How will we know whether or not she is suffering. What do we need to look out for?

Will going on steroids give her any longer?

Steroids gave us about about 4 weeks, where Murphy was happy and feeling good, when he started to show signs of decline in quality of life, we let him go the next day. The oncologist predicted 10 weeks, but from what other GTers shared, 1 month is more realistic (I'm assuming since she's on steroids you're not doing chemo). There was another steroid you can switch over to if the Prednisone stops working, but it didn't work for Murphy. Signs to look out for beyond the usual ones are new swelling in the stomach area, and discomfort finding a position to lie down.

Her rapid weight loss is probably the steroids. It's hard to see, but as long as it's not affecting Pebble's well being, try not to worry. What are you feeding? Our vet recommended a little chicken with his evening and morning meals on top of the kibble, and then two smaller meal during the day of chicken and rice. That helped and he seemed much happier, but he was a lot thinner at the end even so.

He was, if I remember correctly, also on Denamarine support his liver/reduce the swelling in it, help his stomach (I think just Tums--be careful to make sure there's no sugar free sweeteners) in it, and Tramadol--of course be sure to run this all by your vet/oncologist, make sure it's appropriate for Pebbles and get the dosing right.

I hope this doesn't sound insensitive, I don't mean it this way, but I think those 4 weeks were way harder on us then on him, he was comfortable and happy and I don't know if dog's don't understand they're dying when they feel well or they just don't worry about it the way people do. He'd just been removed from an extremely neglectful home, was fed enticing food instead of his "person" forgetting to give him food and water, and was so happy to be loved and to live indoors and sleep in our room, and we cleared up a number of other medical issues that were causing him pain. What helped us then and still (and he and Henry did enjoy), was we made him a bucket list and I kept track of how many fun things he got to do--nothing fancy, but ice cream trips, getting to be off leash in a friend's yard, etc. (the list still remains on my fridge) and knowing we made a difficult but in hindsight right decision to just as it became clear he was starting to experience some pain/discomfort.

ETA: Is there a medical reason she's waiting until Friday for the steroids? You may or may not prolong her life by much more by starting immediately, but she will feel better almost instantly.

Edited by PatricksMom

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest Kryspen

PatricksMom asked "Is there a medical reason she's waiting until Friday for the steroids?"

Not particularly a medical reason, but when we took her to the vet 10 days ago she gave us a pack of Synulox and sent us away to decide whether we wanted Pebbles to have a biopsy or not. The vet told us to bring her back in two weeks to start steroids if we decided against the biopsy and chemo (both of which we turned down).

Guest Kryspen

We've just spotted that she's having quite severe nosebleeds, but swallowing them. That's why we've thought she was bleeding from the mouth. She'll be off to the vet in a few minutes. I'm beginning to wonder whether she'll come back or not.

Guest Kryspen

She's back! Vet says the bleeding is nothing to do with her teeth. It's probably another tumour somewhere, which might have been disturbed when the vet did her teeth. She's had her first dose of pred, and got a bottle of tablets for us to give her. Back in a week. She may at some stage have a more serious bleed. If that happens she's to go straight back to the vet.

He's given her 3 months, max.

We're both very cut up at the moment. Any prayers would be very welcome.

Hoping for the best. Foodwise, for the sick dogs we try to give extra meals of high calorie things like eggs and not too fatty meats.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Are her lymph nodes still swollen? If she truly has lymphoma you will be very lucky to her to live a few months. When mine had lymphoma one had to be put down within days of the swelling. The other in less than 2 weeks. Treatment would have been futile.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Are her lymph nodes still swollen? If she truly has lymphoma you will be very lucky to her to live a few months. When mine had lymphoma one had to be put down within days of the swelling. The other in less than 2 weeks. Treatment would have been futile.

I don't regret not doing Chemo, when we had to choose, a number of people told me my oncologist's prediction of a year+ was BS, they'd done chemo and hadn't gotten much if any more time than we got. Spoil her rotten, it will help you feel better afterwards and you'll both have fun in the meantime. Mostly cuddle her and love her, no one can ever get too much love.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I don't regret not doing Chemo, when we had to choose, a number of people told me my oncologist's prediction of a year+ was BS, they'd done chemo and hadn't gotten much if any more time than we got. Spoil her rotten, it will help you feel better afterwards and you'll both have fun in the meantime. Mostly cuddle her and love her, no one can ever get too much love.

My older vet told me that used chemo for lymphoma long ago but after many years he quit doing it. He said it just didn't ever buy enough time to justify the cost and putting the dog through it. He still suggests it for other cancers, but not lymphoma.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

My older vet told me that used chemo for lymphoma long ago but after many years he quit doing it. He said it just didn't ever buy enough time to justify the cost and putting the dog through it. He still suggests it for other cancers, but not lymphoma.

Just to clarify--it really depends on the type of lymphoma-T-Cell, B-Cell. One really needs to stage the disease before making a treatment decision. I have personally seen really decent results at times using the CHOP protocol. The last patient that was treated at the last clinic I worked at received 18 really good quality months-sadly she passed at the age of 14--completely unrelated to the lymphoma (she actually developed melanoma).

I hope that you and your pup have time to create many memories together. She'll be gone way too soon, but I absolutely know that she'll know love for every moment of her retirement thanks to your care. What more can anyone ask for, right?

I give my 'sick' hounds as much food as they are interested in eating; if they're dealing with any type of cancer, I work to keep the sugar content as low as possible while still keeping the protein & fat levels appropriate for their illness. I'll add milk thistle and other supplements to support the liver and kidneys. Peanut butter (here we can get little 1.5 oz travel cups) or ice cream cups are easy ways to get some calories in the hounds and try to keep the weight on them.

Gentle hugs and good luck. Please keep us updated, and we'd love some more pictures of her if you take them!

Two beautiful dogs :wub: :wub: . Thank you for sharing those.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Awww... :beatheart

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Kryspen

Off to the vet for a checkup today. She's as well as can be expected but so thin. She weighed in at 23.1 kg (50lb). Her racing weight was 27.5 kg (60lb). Racking my brain as to how to feed her up without making Mac fat or jealous.

Continuing with the pred and antibiotics.

Off to the vet for a checkup today. She's as well as can be expected but so thin. She weighed in at 23.1 kg (50lb). Her racing weight was 27.5 kg (60lb). Racking my brain as to how to feed her up without making Mac fat or jealous.

Continuing with the pred and antibiotics.

He may well feel jealous, Henry took up stealing Murphy's food dish after he ate, and taking it to his bed with stink eye looks at us. But you're the mom, and sometimes you have to do what's best for both kids, getting food into Pebbles and keeping Mac healthy. We did give Henry a small bit of Murphy's special food, and he got several health treats when Murphy got his 2 extra meals a day--maybe that approach might help?

And both of them are absolutely beautiful, Pebbles has that wise look in her eyes.

Guest Kryspen

Another vet visit today. Pebbles now weighs less than 22kg. The vet has taken her off the antibiotic, once the course has finished. He's given her tramadol for when she seems to be in pain.

We were very pleased that the glands at the base of the throat had gone right down. Apparently the pred does that, and when the glands start to enlarge again it will be good-bye time. He gives her 1 - 2 months.