New Greyhound -- Freezing Outside...does It Get Better?

Guest jaxshumans

Guest jaxshumans

Hi everyone,

I'm back with another question about Jax and his transition to our home!

We brought him home a week ago and he's been adjusting very well inside the apartment. The first few days we only took him out to potty (per our adoption agency's advice) and he was doing great. He was doing so well with the times he was outside that we started taking him for short walks and then eventually a longer 30 minute walk. This was all going fine when a couple of days ago on our walk he just stopped and refused to go any further. Since then he has also been statueing often, even when we take him out to just pee.

At this point we have nixed the walks altogether and have gone back to only taking him out for bathroom breaks. We live in the DC metro area so unfortunately it's not really an option to take him out to less busy areas. He's not terribly skittish and doesn't try to make a run for home or anything, he just freezes and stares straight ahead like he's trying to figure things out (which he probably is) and displays signs of stress (drippy nose, walking slowly, looking down/to the side). I've tried treats, gentle nudges, and tight circles and they do eventually get him going again, but walking calmly and assertively doesn't seem to prevent the statueing from happening.

I guess I'm feeling anxious that he is never going to be able to go to new places without freezing up. I know we need to give him time and be patient, but it would be nice to hear that there is light at the end of the tunnel...

I was also wondering if anyone has any advice about when we should start reintegrating walks into his routine? I don't want to do too much too quickly, but I also want to keep him healthy and get him the exercise he needs.

Thanks for any advice (and "it gets better" stories!)

Took us 2 weeks to be able to do the full "loop" walk when walking as a pack (all the household member together) and almost a month for me (his momma) to be able to walk him for the full loop.

It started getting better when I stopped trying. We came to a gentleman agreement that he would pee, then poop, then walk as far as he would and when he froze, we headed back home. Ultimately we were able to walk further and further and one day we did the full loop with minor freezing (I mean we were literally 30 meters away from home, I wouldn't have turned around!)

Hang in there, it is all normal and overwhelming for him :)

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

It gets better. So much better ! We always, for 12 years had to drive somewhere to walk. We found empty corporate center parking lots, churches at off times, fields, anywhere but the neighborhood because there were too many scary things there. More time is needed for sure.

And, we have a Jax too :) !

ho5U2p6.jpg?1

When he's tense send him the special Calming Signal: 'Lick, YAWN and look away' and try not to appear or act worried. You've just told him that you understand but there isn't really any problem which you don't have under control.

Peggy would freeze in the early days when she didn't want to go somewhere, but could be treated or encouraged/redirected to go in the 3 other directions. It helps if there are two of you on the walk so a 'Look! What's that over there... let's go see...' can happen.

This is so very common. I remember being in tears the first time Annie did this because she would. not. move.

One way to avoid (sometimes) the whole planting issue is not to slow down when he slows down. Too often we who walk our dogs, especially newbies, will let the dog set the pace of the walk, meaning when he slows down, we do also. This gives Jax a chance to stop. Keep the leash short and his head near your body and walk strong and with confidence and do not let him set the pace. Once he's used to walking and he knows you're walking him, not the other way around, he'll be able to stop and sniff and you'll be confident that he'll get going again.

Don't panic. I swear most of them do this. Why? I think it's because they can. :)

I remember the first couple of weeks after adopting Annie. It wasn't all fun and games. She was stubborn (planting was common). She didn't want to go out for a potty break, even if it had been 8 hours or more. She would not learn stairs. I got advice from a trainer about getting her to move on walks when she didn't want to, and after a couple of weeks I realized that she is a dog... granted a Greyhound.. but still a dog and I am a human. An intelligent, confident human who was being pushed around by a dog! LOL It got easier and better for both of us when I took charge, so to speak. She learned that I had rules (we don't not walk and stare at the sky unless her human allowed it) and she learned to trust me. It was pretty much a piece of cake after that.

Edited by Feisty49

Our first grey was a major statuer. However, I would stand there and wait her out. Then all of a sudden we would move. The longer we had her the less she did it. Later when she was older, she began doing it again. It seemed like she was taking in her surroundings so she could always remember it. We knew we were losing her and I would just stand there with her and talk about how beautiful it was outside and how beautiful she was.

I have to stop talking about her. I am sitting here crying. I miss that girl so much! I would stand outside for 30 minutes or longer if I could have her back.

Completely normal. It will get better.

Remember, he's been dropped down in a completely alien environmnent and needs time to process and get used to it all. Especially a big, busy city like DC. Just encourage him gently. Maybe see if you can go for longer walks when it's quieter - earlier in the morning or mid-day when the traffic isn't so heavy. Don't worry about getting him exercise at this point - unless he's being destructive or has some separation anxiety. Play inside with him - with a toy or tug rope, or throw treats for him down the hall, or hide yummy treats and let him find them. There are special treat/food puzzles that will engage his mind too.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Imagine someone grabbed you, put you in an absolute strange environment and told you to have fun, but mind the rules. You would have to observe and get used to your new surroundings. It is like this for your grey, too.

They are not used to that much thinking and need time to watch everything and to learn.

I remember standing next to field for 15 minutes to watch a machine harvesting potatoes. Andy was completely transfixed by it.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Guest normaandburrell

Our Iceman statued for months, not just weeks. You have all the suggestions you need. It will get better. The only thing I have to add is that some grey owners have had success puttting the dog in the car and taking it somewhere new for a walk.

Guest jaxshumans

thanks for the words of encouragement everyone :) today was a little better -- I just took him out to potty and made the whole trip without using treats! A few stops but I just waited thirty seconds or so and he snapped himself out of it. Hopefully we will just continue to progress! :hope

Glad it's getting better! That's great! I agree with everyone else. It's hard, it's frustrating, it's worrisome, but it's normal. And it WILL get better. Just don't push it. It's also normal for them to regress after doing really well. Hang it there!

Guest ParamagicFF

Amber did some statueing early on, but has mostly gotten over it. Maybe once or twice a week she will be a little stubborn while on a leash, but now the "come" command gets her every time! Keep working at it!