Any Problems With The New Costco Kirkland Lamb & Rice Bag?

Leo's been a bit finicky about eating lately anyway (heat I think), and when I picked up his Kirkland Lamb & Rice I noticed the bag changed. They say they haven't changed the formula, just added probiotics, but I'm wondering if anyone who uses this has noticed any changes--shape, texture, dog's interest or health? I've got about a week of old food until I have to change him over

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I noticed the bag change also. Brady has had no issues with the new bag.

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

I didn't notice a change so I might still have the old one, but I have noticed times where the kibble is lighter in some bags and darker in others?

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I don't feed it anymore because I switched to raw, but a friend does and has a lot of problems with the new formula. Why, why, why do they tinker with a good thing? If it isn't broken, don't fix it!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Well, we'll see how it goes I guess, Henry's stomach is touchy so I hate to switch him unless I absolutely have to because this works really well for him. Switching Leo from 2 cups and 2 cups to 1 cup at breakfast at 3 at dinner has helped a lot, so it may be the heat.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Well, we'll see how it goes I guess, Henry's stomach is touchy so I hate to switch him unless I absolutely have to because this works really well for him. Switching Leo from 2 cups and 2 cups to 1 cup at breakfast at 3 at dinner has helped a lot, so it may be the heat.

I know how you feel, I almost did not buy it when I saw the new bag but given Brady's issues with other food and chicken I felt I no reliable options. I am thankful that he has not had any issues. Good luck.

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

Guest Rubysmama

My parents dogs had issues with it recently so they switched back to Natural Balance. My dogs eat natural balance lamb and rice for breakfast and raw for supper. Whenever they sleep over at my parents they would get the Korkland lamb and rice and it was fine for two of them but the other would get red itchy ears for about a week after one meal of it. I wish it was easier to trust dog food companies, you just never know!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Memphsmom

We were feeding Kirkland chicken, but we have had issues with itchy spots on my cattle dog since they changed the bag, I think they must have changed the formula because that's what we fed for years with no problems. I'm trying to find a good substitute that doesn't break the bank feeding 3 large dogs, Right now we are trying out Whole Earth Farms grain free.

Guest awruth

I've fed this food for the last couple of years. Seemed like a quality food for a good price and my dog liked it. His coat and poop were OK but could've been better. On the last bag I got (which was not the NEW bag), the poops got very soft. I thought maybe my dog needed the "mature" recipe (he's 7), so tried gradually switching to that (which was still not the new bag), which was even worse.

Kirkland food seems to have good ingredients and you can't beat the price, but it's just not working for us anymore and I've decided it's over. I'm trying Nutro Max lamb and rice now - it seems high quality at a reasonable price. If that doesn't work, I may try Pro Plan. If all else fails I'll go back to Taste of the Wild (Pacific Stream). My dog did great on that, which is what led me to Kirkland in the first place - their Nature's Domain Salmon is made by same manufacturer (Diamond, like all their food), but he didn't like it.

I'm not sure how reliable this site is, but I noticed a lot of recent complaints about soft stools and other issues with Kirkland: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/kirkland_pet_food.html

Good luck

I've fed this food for the last couple of years. Seemed like a quality food for a good price and my dog liked it. His coat and poop were OK but could've been better. On the last bag I got (which was not the NEW bag), the poops got very soft. I thought maybe my dog needed the "mature" recipe (he's 7), so tried gradually switching to that (which was still not the new bag), which was even worse.

Kirkland food seems to have good ingredients and you can't beat the price, but it's just not working for us anymore and I've decided it's over. I'm trying Nutro Max lamb and rice now - it seems high quality at a reasonable price. If that doesn't work, I may try Pro Plan. If all else fails I'll go back to Taste of the Wild (Pacific Stream). My dog did great on that, which is what led me to Kirkland in the first place - their Nature's Domain Salmon is made by same manufacturer (Diamond, like all their food), but he didn't like it.

I'm not sure how reliable this site is, but I noticed a lot of recent complaints about soft stools and other issues with Kirkland: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/kirkland_pet_food.html

Good luck

Yikes :( :( I just purchased a bag of this (the new stuff) a week ago but have not opened it yet and now am terrified of feeding this to them :( CRAP.

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Yikes :( :( I just purchased a bag of this (the new stuff) a week ago but have not opened it yet and now am terrified of feeding this to them :( CRAP.

Well, other than Leo going on his "I don't want to eat Mom, just because, to see if I can make you crazy" phase again, no problems with the new bag (and he's done this repeatedly before. It usually lasts a week (so less than 1 bag).

Guest Lillypad

I don't feed it anymore because I switched to raw, but a friend does and has a lot of problems with the new formula. Why, why, why do they tinker with a good thing? If it isn't broken, don't fix it!

I believe they have to shake things up by adding "extras" or re packing to keep things "fresh" Purely marketing techniques. It is all about the sales! They need to encourage new buyers and keep old buyers interested. What "probiotics" (most likely not even necessary) could they really be adding that was not there already? I gave up playing this silly game and I too switched to raw. Best move ever !!!

Both of mine are long term consumers of Kirkland Lamb & Rice. So far there have not been issues related to the "new" formula. I have noticed some slightly loose stools with MoMo but she has also been on meds related to her broken toe and I suspect the soft serve poo is a medication side effect. She's almost through with the meds, so I'll keep an eye on her to see if things firm up. If they don't, that may point to issues with the new food.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

• 5 weeks later...

Other than my dogs being brats, no, currently they both want the other one's (identical) food. I think Leo's issues were about settling into the prozac, now that that's gone well, they're both just being pains in the neck.

• 3 weeks later...

well, so far my fears were for nothing :) I DID transition the last of the old bag into the beginning of the new (like if you were switching brands completely -- actually, I do that on a smaller scale with each new bag as one bag seemed slightly different than the last!) and all seems to be well. To be honest, Larry's poops are actually a little more firm than before :D