Result Of 2Nd Opinion For Chase's Limping

I took Chase in this morning to get a 2nd opinion concerning his limp. This vet agreed with my vet. It is a corn causing him to limp and favor that leg. Seems like it has been affecting him longer than I realized because this vet noticed considerable atrophy of the muscle on that side. I spoke with my vet regarding surgery to remove the corn, but told him before I do that I was going to try the duck tape method first.

He also gave me some Trazadone for him, but I definitely will reserve it for occasions where he has to go somewhere that brings on stress for him and not on an everyday basis. Vet said to start him with (2) 100mg tablets and work up to (4) every 8 hours as needed. I did some searching on here when I got home and saw where Chris posted that Cashy was getting (2) 50mg tablets. Based on that I felt double that dose was too much to start with so I only gave him 1-1/2 tablets (150mg total) and that completely knocked him out. It has been a little over 8 hours since giving it to him and he is finally looking more alert and not zonked out.

Two 100mg tablets sounds like a lot. Let your vet know just how zonked out Chase was and for how long. My vet said the correct dose would last 4 hours but I don't know if that's the standard she preferred. :dunno

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Try getting him a boot - one of the Voyager greyhound boots - or one equally as padded. It will take a little while for him to get used to it, but many people report that they really help cushion the corn when walking.

If you're on Facebook, there's a whole group called "Greyhounds with Corns." It might even be one of the pages worth joining FB for - it's VERY informative and has a lot of different treatments you can try, plus many people with lots of experience.

Do NOT do surgery. General consensus is that you shell out a ton of money, put your dog through surgery and recovery, and it really doesn't work. If the corn doesn't come back on that toe, it will come back on another.

Something you can do beginning tonight - soak his foot in warm water (epsom salts optional) for 5-10 minutes, two or three times a day. It will help bring the corn to the surface so you can hull it out easier. Sometimes you can even get the whole corn out after several months. Then moisturize the pad with Bag Balm or another super-moisterizer, and cover with a sock.

Trazadone affects each dog differently. It is generally very safe and side-effect free however. That sounds like a LOT to give an average size dog though.

Edited by greysmom

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Batman has corns and a Therapaw boot has been a miracle for getting him to put weight on his poor sore footpad. WWW.Therapaw.com - they have great customer service too. He doesn't wear them all day - only during exercise.

8409816506_4027b1afc8.jpg

Batman (racing name CTW Battle Plan) adopted May 2011, passed away July 2017

Buffy (racing name CTW Bathsheba) adopted Oct 2012, passed away March 2022

Olivia gets corns, too. When she has one, she wears her boot on walks, and it really helps. My vet prescribes her a 60% salycylic acid paste (a really strong "compound W)) that I put on her corn every night and cover with duct tape. It softens up her toe pad and the corn eventually ends up falling out. Diamondback Drugs, a compounding pharmacy, makes up the salycylic acid paste.

Qui me amat, amet et canes meas...et felem.

Olivia (RDs Merrygoround, b. 4/6/07, Gotcha 12/19/11

Chloe (PAR Candice, b. 5/22/08, Gotcha 12/18/12)

You might consider 2 Therapaws. Many dogs find it easier to walk, or at lest harder to resist walking with the them on both feet. ;)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Do NOT do surgery. General consensus is that you shell out a ton of money, put your dog through surgery and recovery, and it really doesn't work. If the corn doesn't come back on that toe, it will come back on another.

I've actually had very good experience with corns being surgically removed. The first time with Nadir was expensive, but worth it because I finally knew after years of him limping what was causing the problem. A corn never grew back on that foot. Some time later he did develop a corn on another foot, that one being removed by my regular vet during a dental. That removal I think only added an additional $80 to the bill. With Chase though I do want to avoid surgery because of his propensity for rhabdomyolysis.

Batman has corns and a Therapaw boot has been a miracle for getting him to put weight on his poor sore footpad. WWW.Therapaw.com - they have great customer service too. He doesn't wear them all day - only during exercise.

Chase would need to wear them all the time as he is severely lame on all surfaces, but especially inside the house.