How Worried Should I Be?

Corinna was in the yard with me this afternoon and she somehow found a rotting squirrel carcass. I saw her with it in her mouth and she dropped it the second I told her too, but I don't know how long she had it for or if she actually ate any as I was doing some gardening at the time so wasn't paying all that close attention to the dogs. The squirrel definitely was dead a while.

Should I just watch and see if she shows any sign of illness or should I be doing something more like a vet trip?

thanks in advance.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

I probably would have immediately flushed her mouth out with water.

It would be just watch and wait in my house.

And no kisses. :lol

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

My dogs have eaten some equally disgusting things over the years. Never got sick from any of them. :) Fingers crossed!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Personally, I wouldn't be that worried. I have never had a problem with any of my dogs picking up nasty stuff (like rotten carcasses in the woods, dead birds, etc.). I have also caught them on occasion digging up old marrow bones from the garden and chewing on them. Dogs are scavengers, they generally don't have problems with this kind of thing. Squirrels can carry worms, but since she didn't swallow it (and it had been dead a while) I wouldn't worry about that too much either. Unless she starts acting ill, I wouldn't call the vet :)

Guest Memphsmom

Lol Bruce, our ridgeback, once brought me the hind quarter of an deer that had been dead heavens knows how long, (long enough to be "ripe") Don't know if he chewed on it before he decided to share his prize. It didn't seem to have much of an effect on him, other then make me a little reluctant to give him kisses.

Edited by Memphsmom

Baby loves road kill too :sick.

The worst consequence was finding that she picked up some nasty worms that had to be treated with antibiotics. Symptom: diarrhea.

If you do notice diarrhea, you might want to make sure to stay on top of yard cleanup so that you don't have recurrences of the infection.

I found Doodles with a stiff dead squirrel in her mouth, I called her to come to me, she did, but not before she bit the head off and happily crunched it as she walked to me! I called the vet, they said not to worry about rabies, squirrels in our area don't get it, but keep an eye out for fleas.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014