Tbd Testing - How & When

Looking into this on the internet as well so that I can talk to my vet about it, but wanted to get input from those of you who may be knowledgeable. I am mildly concerned that Skye could have a TBD. I think it's VERY unlikely, but not outside of the realm of possibility so I'd like to consider testing her just to reassure myself, which is where I'm a little unsure about a few things. Basically I want to be sure that if I'm going to spend the money to test her, that I'm running a test that will check for all of the things she could possibly have.

So I have the body of the suspected engorged tick, although it's headless. I have no clue what kind of tick it is though since I am used to seeing them before they're engorged. We encounter lone star ticks quite frequently around here and they're what I find most often in my house. I've also come home with deer ticks on me and I believe we also have dog ticks, though I'm not sure I've seen them. Does anyone know how large an engorged adult deer tick can get? I am looking on the internet and still having trouble getting a definitive answer. Otherwise, any way to tell between dog tick and lone star? It seems once they're engorged they lose their color and markings so it's hard to tell. Does the white spot remain in some way on an engorged lone star?

Also, what's the timing on a titer test? If she's been exposed, how long would a test turn up positive afterwards? It's been well over a month since I found the tick so I'm less concerned about what I've read about false negatives when you test early on.

I'm likely just going to do the 4D snap test, but you know, I like to delve into things more than is necessary. :P Meanwhile, she really doesn't have a TBD, she just hurt her elbow. But I've got to be certain! :lol

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

45 days on the 4D, according to my vet. If you're past that mark, I'd probably just go ahead and do a 4D instead of sending the tick out to be tested (not sure it matters if said tick is decapitated). Ticks are bad this year. I pulled one off my own ear the other day, then subsequently went to urgent care for a round of doxo.

45 days on the 4D, according to my vet. If you're past that mark, I'd probably just go ahead and do a 4D instead of sending the tick out to be tested (not sure it matters if said tick is decapitated). Ticks are bad this year. I pulled one off my own ear the other day, then subsequently went to urgent care for a round of doxo.

45 days meaning you test within 45 days? Or not until after?

I'm going to take another look at the tick tonight, but pretty sure it's decapitated. I found it on the floor so I suspect a dog scratched it off or something like that and the head remained behind. Of course, this also means it could have been any dog, but I usually find the ticks on the greyhounds before they fall off because of their shorter thinner coats.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Could the tick have been on you?

Nearly impossible, but not really relevant. Like I said, the tick technically could have been on either Zuri or Violet as well, but it's Skye who has been lame and just seems a bit not herself lately. Again, most likely just an injury, but I would like to put my mind at ease.

Speak to the folks here-they are very helpful...

http://www.cvm.ncsu.edu/vhc/csds/ticklab.html

I know they do the gold standard testing for TBDs, but are you saying if I call them up they're going to answer questions from me directly? Edited by NeylasMom

Yup-you should be able to ask which test they would rec in your situation.

Nice, never would have thought they would do that.

Around here, when you get your annual heartworm test, they also test for a few different TBDs in the "SNAP" test.

I wouldn't bother testing the tick.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Your local extension office can probably help you ID the tick, if you feel like that's relevent to medical care. I'm not sure what county you're in, but here's MD's list.

https://extension.umd.edu/locations

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.