Really Dry, Flaky Skin

Guest Lygracilux

Guest Lygracilux

Fusion's skin has just been so flaky and dry lately.

He's not itchy or anything, it just looks kind of crappy & and he is on TOTW grain free salmon- so I know it cant be an allergy of some sort.

We washed him the other day, and it got rid of the flakes for a day or two but now they're coming back.

Is it just this super dry and cold New England weather doing it? I know my skin has been pretty tight and flaky as well because of this.

Anything I can supplement him to help? I didnt know if fish oil + salmon food would be a good idea or if there is something else.

Thanks guys!

Fish oil and coconut oil can both help. But the Missing Link that Alicia mentioned is also a great product.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Guest Houston1219

We give a capsule of fish oil with each meal and then rub skin so soft into the really flaky spots.

I wonder if this would help on bald spots that get dry. Houstie has some scars where no hair grows, but the rest of his coat is velvet soft. The nekkid spots get dry in winter. It's scar tissue, I suppose, because the skin is really thick in those spots. Thanks, I'll have to try this! :)

Guest Lygracilux

Thanks guys! Im going to do the coconut oil topically and fish oil orally. Hopefully that helps!

It may just be coat refurbishing time...

Wheatgerm oil usually helps. Just 1/2 teaspoon a day or a capsule. There's hardly any gluten left in it.

Sebocalm shampooo helped Peggy.

What exactly is coat refurbishing? Just shedding and growing a new one?

all of the products mentioned above are excellent. be patient they take at least 6 weeks to kick in and yes the cold dry winter and the dogs getting ready to blow winter coat will produce dry flakey skin.

currently we use cold pressed salmon oil with great success, but .......

I can't say enough good things about Missing Link! Everyone comments on how bunny-soft Henry is.

alicia, i;m thinking of trying missing link since i'll be on the road this summer. i looked at the web site and i am totally confused. which one do you use?

Edited by cleptogrey

Thanks guys! Im going to do the coconut oil topically and fish oil orally. Hopefully that helps!

What exactly is coat refurbishing? Just shedding and growing a new one?

Yes... a seasonal change of coat often brought on by too much central heating.

Guest chickenpotpie

Its definitely the dryness + if you have forced hot air it makes it worse. Lucky gets fish oil / coconut oil daily, sometimes I hit her naked spots with a spritz of rosewater or a little bit of coconut oil (which ever is closest...lol) But certainly a natural oil helps in their diet as well. Seems like the dang heat barely turns off anymore because its so cold.

Just an anecdotal word of caution about Missing Link -- it mildly upset one of my hound's digestive system, even starting slowly.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

alicia, i;m thinking of trying missing link since i'll be on the road this summer. i looked at the web site and i am totally confused. which one do you use?

This is the one we use. I just put it in an empty parmesan cheese shaker and give them a few shakes on their kibble.

8640676_1405452350_1.jpg

Guest k9soul

My black boy Cole has had the same issue. He's not itchy, but very dry/flaky. I don't think he's losing coat either, if anything he's filling in more where he was more bald (on his thighs). I've started giving him coconut oil but I suspect it will help when this dry cold weather passes.

I also wondered if growing in new coat can cause more flakiness? He retired from racing last fall so his coat actually seems to be filling in more.