Osteosarcoma And Dr. Couto- Help!

Guest georgethegreyt

Guest sireltonsmom

I'm so sorry you have this in your life. When we let Sir Elton go, we had the vet to the house, his 'sister' Mindy stayed nearby. It was the kindest way - we had time with him beforehand and while it broke our hearts, we were grateful that we had the ability to stop his suffering and we were there to love him off to the bridge. Good luck with your tough decisions going forward. It's true they take a piece of our heart with them when they go. And when (if) you ever get a new one to give a forever home to, that dog puts a piece back into your heart. Our beau is not Sir Elton - he has made his own place in our home, lives and love. :goodluck:gh_lay

:ghplaybow Beau :gh_runner Mindy

Contact Latifa at Animals Can Talk. She is an animal communicator. I used her before I had the offical diagnosis of bone cancer, Peace kept saying she had cancer, the vet was not ready to say for sure it was cancer. It was. We talked to Latifa again and was able to find out how long she could stay with me, what she wanted to eat and who she did and did not want in the room when it was time to be let go.

She had a peaceful passing and I took comfort knowing she was not in terrible pain, staying here for me because I was not ready to say goodbye. Latifa helped us so much and 4 weeks later I adopted a new hound.

Peace has been back in the house to visit, we hear her tags rattling. She said she will be coming with me to Gettysburg.

I know the sorrow in your heart. It will never get easier to let them go. The pain of bone cancer can't be controlled with drugs.

It sucks.

Sending gentle hugs.

Jan, Luka and Carter and angel Peace

Regarding your inquiry about amputation. I have zero first hand experience but I do have a philosophical position. I might consider it with a smaller, younger grey. I would never do it to a large grey. My boy is very large, I couldn't do it. Keeping him going with an amputation would be more for me and than for him. Easy to say now when he's healthy. I hope I have the courage to do the right thing if he gets sick.

Best wishes and so sorry you have to experience this. It is particularely cruel that you have had such a short time together in good health.

I am so sorry. :grouphug

As others have posted, the actual passing of all of mine has been peaceful. You have already avoided the biggest mistake I ever made, which was not being assertive about getting an accurate diagnosis early enough to minimize pain.

Whatever you decide, it will be out of love. Go ahead and cry. It's scary to have to make these choices.

One hurdle is money. Even if there is financial help from pet insurance or a cancer trial/program, treating cancer is very expensive. It's hard, but try to be realistic about what the expenses may be and how that will affect any other pets you may have (now and in the future) and even your own financial soundness. George being so young makes it an extra hard decision. :grouphug

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest georgethegreyt

Another reason why amputation seems like an unrealistic option is due to the suspected cruciate tear in his right, rear leg (his "healthy" leg). However, I feel sick to my stomach at the thought of just doing nothing. For a male, he isn't the biggest I have seen...he weighs just about 77 pounds while on the other hand his "girlfriend" greyhound is a tiny thing

His vet is making me feel a bit guilty. She said "if he were my dog, I would amputate...". I am not sure if she is being sincere or just trying to make an expensive decision for me. My "sponsor" at the greyhound rescue group here in Houston recommends the pain management route and no surgery/chemo.

Another reason why amputation seems like an unrealistic option is due to the suspected cruciate tear in his right, rear leg (his "healthy" leg). However, I feel sick to my stomach at the thought of just doing nothing. For a male, he isn't the biggest I have seen...he weighs just about 77 pounds while on the other hand his "girlfriend" greyhound is a tiny thingHis vet is making me feel a bit guilty. She said "if he were my dog, I would amputate...". I am not sure if she is being sincere or just trying to make an expensive decision for me. My "sponsor" at the greyhound rescue group here in Houston recommends the pain management route and no surgery/chemo.

It's so difficult when people "advise" you. You know your dog better than anybody else, as well as your personal circumstances. Only you can make the "right" decision. As Ellen stated, whatever you decide will be out of love.

No matter what you decide, you may have second thoughts, just like I did. It's normal. It's a no win situation.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest PiagetsMom

I've seen those who've gone the amp route and had no regrets, and those who've gone the amp route and swear they would never do it again. I think that one of the main questions you have to answer for yourself is how you feel about the "quantity" of time you might be achieving going the amp route. While there are some pups who have an extended time after amputating, they do seem to be the exception and not the rule with most seeming to have several months, and then are once again facing the decision that you are now. It's a roll of the dice, and you have no way of knowing if your pup will be one of the lucky ones. So, with the outcome being uncertain, if the amp might bring you several months of extended time to George, do you feel that it would be worth going forward with the amputation? Not a question that you have to answer here, just one you have to answer for yourself. :grouphug

Guest OurGreytLife

I am so sorry you are going through this. My heart breaks for you. I lost my Joey last year to Osteo 9 days after his diagnosis. He became so painful so fast regardless of the pain meds. My wonderful vet came to my home to set Joey free of his pain. Joey had just turned 9 yrs old. I am still so heartbroken over his loss.

I read somewhere on Greytalk from a vet which said that not all dogs are good candidates for amputation. He was so right. It's a tough surgery to go through and the dog should have the personality for it. Meaning they should be able to handle it mentally besides physically. Unfortunately, my Joey was not a good candidate for amputation. He always had a low pain threshold and would scream for a vaccine or a nail trim. I wasn't about to put him through such a tough surgery and my vets agreed with me.

I feel your pain and heartache in trying to decide what's best for your beloved companion. That is all the best you can do. If you decide to send him to the bridge, know that they go quickly and peacefully. It is so difficult to make that decision but know that you are looking out for your dog's quality of life. Your dog is fortunate to have you looking into what's best for him.

We are all here for you and are in our prayers.

I'm terribly sorry about the diagnosis. I'm in NE Houston.

You're at a good vet. I am Shocked at their opinion as well as GPA-H if this is what they really meant.

I've had several grey's with osteo & only went the pain management route for numerous reasons.

I think the most important decision is what You think is best for George. No One knows George like you do. That's why I'm shocked at your vets & Adoption reps opinion. Do what's right for you two & the heck with the rest.

Prayers for peace, comfort & wisdom.

Edited by Devotion

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

The questions to answer if you are considering amputation are:

1) Is my pup healthy enough to handle the operation?

2) Are there any serious health problems my pup has that will make being a tripawd impossible?

3) Can I afford the operation, follow-up appointments and Chemo? This can range from

several thousand to eight depending on many variables.

4) Can I mentally and physically handle having to care for my pup 24/7 for 1-2 weeks post amputation?

Greyhounds do very well on three legs so being a tripawd is not an issue unless some other physical ailment will it too difficult. Also consider that amputation removes the pain of Osteo which is the key objective.

No matter the path you take, we all know Osteo is terminal however there are some incredible success stories, e.g. Twiggy who has past 36mths post amp and another pup who made it to 60mths but these are the exceptions. Going palliative care one just needs to stay ahead of the pain which can be difficult but you can also get some good quality time with your pup and spoil them rotten like you never have before.

Whichever path you take, again it is your decision and none are easy choices.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

When you decide it's time, he won't know he's about to die. He'll know only that he feels relaxed and sleepy (preliminary shot), and that his beloved person is with him.

Some pups can have some good quality time after diagnosis with pain management alone. No rhyme or reason to whose pain can be well controlled, whose can't; whose leg will spontaneously break, whose won't.

I let my osteo pup go just a few days after the suspected diagnosis was confirmed. We had all the recommend pain meds and used them at beyond maximum doses, and she still hurt. She fell gently asleep while nibbling on her favorite treats, and slipped quietly away with the vet's and my tears on her face. It was hard and horrible for us people, yet the only fair thing for our beloved dog.

Hugs to you and your pupper.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.