Osteosarcoma And Dr. Couto- Help!

Guest georgethegreyt

Guest georgethegreyt

My precious George was diagnosed this morning with osteosarcoma (back left tibia). Devastated doesn't adequately describe how I feel. I am about to leave to take him back to the vet for a chest x-ray to be sure it has not spread. I have read forums where many mention Dr Couto. How is everyone contacting him? I am on the website right now and I see a phone number as well as an email address. I do not live near Dr. Couto (Live in Houston, TX) so I was hoping someone could inform me the best way to reach him as well as what all I will need for him.

Thank you so much,

~Price

I emailed him and heard back within 24 hours. He may be out of the country but will still respond.

Others have called and will hopefully post here for you to give more info.

I'm sorry that you are having to deal with this.

Check this thread for more info: http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/305786-osteo-thread-part-8/?hl=osteo

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest georgethegreyt

Thank you. He is 7.5 years old, and I only adopted him a year ago. I can't believe this is happening. He does not seem to be in any pain or discomfort so I feel like this is all a misunderstanding. He was at the vet yesterday for his 6 month wellness exam and the vet recommended x-rays as a precaution due to his age and racing history.

Sending prayers of comfort and hugs. Please take refuge in this forum. There are so many who have gone down this road and understand everything you are thinking, feeling, and doing and a kinder, more compassionate group will not be found anywhere.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Did your vet send the rads to be read by a radiologist?

I live in Houston too. Who is your vet?

Lots of resources here in Houston. A&M vet school is less than two hours away too.

Sadly, I lost my first greyhound at age 6 from osteo.

Edited by Devotion

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

I'm so sorry--but it's not a misunderstanding. All kinds of dogs can get Osteo., so if your vet is confident that's what it is, then you're probably just going to get a confirmation from Dr. Couto.

He's right at that age where it seems to hit so frequently, and sadly it's a HUGE problem in Greyhounds.

Wishing you both all the best in your decision making and treatment.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest georgethegreyt

Yes it is definitely Osteo. Two radiologists confirmed it and are not recommending a bone biopsy. The vet thinks his lungs look clear but we are waiting to hear back from a radiologist for confirmation. I have been in contact with Dr Couto. I believe I need to meet with the oncologist before I pay for Dr. Couto's consultation fee.

Does anyone have thoughts on amputation? I want to be very mindful that I must not let George suffer just because I am too sad to say goodbye

Devotion- George's vet is located at Sunset Blvd Animal Clinic (Dr Douglass and Dr Granson). Where is your vet? I adopted George from GPA-Houston.

I'm so sorry about the diagnosis. It sucks.

I lost all three of my greyhounds to osteo. I went the pain management route and all were sent to the bridge within a few weeks of diagnosis. There are people who have had great results with amputation, though. Please keep in mind that these are very stoic dogs and that even if they seem ok, chances they are in a great deal of pain.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest georgethegreyt

Robinw- that breaks my heart to hear that your 3 passed within weeks of diagnosis. I don't know how to handle all of this. Everything is so sudden. He is currently on pain medication as well as an anti-inflammatory.

I'm so sorry you and George are going through this. So many of us know exactly what you're feeling. I think now is the hardest time---through the shock and sadness, and even anger, you are kind of bouncing around in your mind about what to do next. When you have the info you need, and have thought about what is best and right for George, you can move forward. There is a lot of good advice in the osteo thread here, as well as the support you need.

Sending good thoughts to you both. Please let us know how he is doing.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I had one with OS and she was 12. I drove from NJ to OH just to see Dr. Couto (when he was at OSU). She acted like a dog much younger than 12 and wanted his opinion on getting an amputation on such an old dog. He said age is only a number. She spent the day getting checked out and it was determined that she was strong enough for amputation. So we did.
We had a rough 2 weeks which seems to be the norm. (whether it's pain, or the pain meds or just adjustment to losing a limb) But it seemed like a light switch suddenly turned on and she was her normal happy self running around chasing deer. She adapted very well. Her lungs remained clear the entire 6 months I had left with her. OS hit another of her legs.

And those 6 months were terrific.

I want to be very mindful that I must not let George suffer just because I am too sad to say goodbye

I am so very sorry. I've lost two to osteo and it completely stinks. You will get a lot of good advice about amputation here. You will also get much needed moral and emotional support.

You have already shown that you will be very mindful and not let George suffer.

I am very sorry to about your pup's diagnosis.

Please join the Osteo thread if you have not aleady, there is very good information in the first post and unfortunately always too many 'club members'. We went the amp and chemo route with our Charlie and luckily for another 21 happy months with him. He did great as a tripawd and there are things to consider in advance prior to making the decision on the path you will choose.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest georgethegreyt

Because his right rear leg has been bearing most of the weight (unbeknownst to me), he has developed a cruciate tear in his knee. Which makes me wonder if he is even able to become a successful tripawd. His vet is communicating with another peer for a second opinion.

Charlies_Dad, I have been combing through the osteo threads and I am beyond thrilled to hear that yall had 21 (!!!) more months with your pup. That is definitely the longest I have heard!

Guest georgethegreyt

Also, when it does come time for me to release him to the rainbow bridge, will he know that he is about to die? I am crying as I type this because I don't want him to feel sad and afraid. I know that dogs cannot communicate (I wish!) so it is impossible to tell but hopefully someone has had a sense of what they assume their greys are feeling

I've let 14 dogs go. The majority were greyhounds. None had osteo. Some had cancer. Some were just old, very old. I *think* I let them go on the right day, except for Pudge. I waited a few days too long with her. And still in her eyes I only saw love and a regret that she couldn't stay longer as she was my velcro mutt. She knew her body was failing her.

I swear there's a look they give. One when they tell you it's OK to make that final vet appointment. The sign is oh so very subtle, or maybe I'm reading my own needs into the moment.

The other look is when they are released from pain by the first injection. The body relaxes. Sometimes they look at me. Never have I felt that look said "why" or "no". In between injections my little galgo Niña, sat partway up and kissed my vet.

I am sorry that you have such difficult decisions to make.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest PiagetsMom

I'm so very sorry that you and George have received the osteo diagnosis - it's probably the one thing that most grey owners dread the most because there is no cure for osteo. Your vet, and Dr. Couto if you choose to consult with, will give you the medical options that are available to George, and will continue to offer all that they can to medically treat George - that is, after all, their job. The decisions you are facing are difficult ones, and it is clear how much you love George. I wish you the wisdom to evaluate all of the information that you will receive, and the courage to make the best choices and decisions for your sweet boy. I will hold you and George in my thoughts :grouphug

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

When it is time to say goodbye I have scheduled vets to come to the house to administer the drugs. I make sure they are as comfortable as possible. They have all had a wonderful loving look in their eyes as we all said goodbye. This is probably the hardest thing in life, to say goodbye to a loved animal. Enjoy whatever time you have left and do not beat yourself up for the decisions you will be making in the near future. It is all about what YOU think is best for your hound, NOT what anyone else thinks. Do not second-guess yourself. I have not gone the amp route, but I have seen those that have and i have seen post amp from 6 months to over 2 years and counting (twiggy).

One thing to keep in mind is that unless you manage to eliminate all of the cancer by amputation or treatment, he will not get better.

It's been my experience that they let you know. Between the eyes, limping, etc, you'll know. I think I waited a day or two too long with Loca, and have always regretted it. My dogs were all between 11.5 - 13.5 years old when osteo hit, so it might have made the decision a bit easier.

It's a very, very tough decision. For me, I had to keep reminding myself to look after the dog's interest, not mine.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.