Do You Think This Is Slo? Vet Trip?

Guest carriej

Guest carriej

Hi Folks,

Lately I have found Chance's toenails, especially his back ones look weird. They look like of hollowed out underneath the quick, and they're pointy ish. The front ones look more normal, but they're still a bit beat up looking.

Chance will be 4 in Feb. Think there's a chance it could be SLO or just crappy nails? He hasn't lost any.... And actually, one nail that had been removed when we got him (because it was a horn nail) actually grew back, so I thought it was a good sign.

Here are some pics.

image2%201_zpstuioj65n.jpg

image1%201_zpspmfswajd.jpg

one of mine had nails that looked like this,, I figured they were just weird nails and never had them checked out. i'll be watching for what others have to say.

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Guest carriej

When I google pictures of SLO, they are quite severe... So it's hard to judge what might be beginning stages. His nails feel pretty sturdy.

Is there anything I could give him I wonder to strengthen them up? I guess they probably don't have a "hair, skin, & nails" vitamin for doggies :P

Hard to tell from the pictures, and I think each case is slightly different anyway. When my boy started to develop SLO (but before I realised what was going on) his nails started to look very bashed up. I remember commenting on it to my husband when I was doing his nails on several occasions, but we didn't think too much of it and just assumed he was bashing up his nails because he's a clumsy boy. The other early sign I remember is that his nails changed shape and started to grow very thick at the cutting end, and some became a bit crumbly whilst other became harder. IIRC these changes appeared several months (possibly as much as a year) before he actually started to lose nails.

Probably wouldn't hurt to give Chance fish oil caps if you don't already and also biotin, which is a B vitamin said to strengthen skin and nails, or you could give a B complex supplement which has some biotin in.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Kasey has one on the back that is a little like your second picture that but it doesn't seem to bother him nor has it progressed in severity. I've always thought he might have a bit of SLO in him but I never really investigated. Keep up on some good dremeling and monitor, but I can't confirm if that's SLO or not.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest carriej

Thanks guys!

I just thought maybe some people who had houndies with SLO would have recognized some early signs or something. He is due to go to the vet soon for his rabies shot, so I will mention it to her then. She is a great vet, but she has the total "wait and see approach" so I know if I mentioned it to her at this stage she would probably think I was being overly paranoid.

Chance has definite fish allergies, so fish oil is a no go. Would coconut oil help? I had been giving it to him regularly but have kind of been slacking off the last few months as it's hard to find here.

Chance has definite fish allergies, so fish oil is a no go. Would coconut oil help? I had been giving it to him regularly but have kind of been slacking off the last few months as it's hard to find here.

It's omega 3 that you want, so maybe flax oil?

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

I answered on the facebook page but I think your dogs nails look healthy.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

I answered on the facebook page but I think your dogs nails look healthy.

i just dremeled felix's today- clipped them yesterday. they looked the same as your pic. it's normal to have the hollow in the nail- that gets dremeled as well as the tip.but only using a dremel i don't seem to get enough off. the slo nails that i have seen are funky at the nail bed. check out http://www.doberdawn.com/doberdawn/dremel.html and there were some basic instructions on how to cut your dog's nails on youtube. sometimes it's easier to hire a friend or go to a groomer.(i'm the friend in my area).

Edited by cleptogrey

Danger chews his nails into sharp points similar to the pictures.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

My lupus pup had crumbly nails. If I clipped them they just crumbled. Dremeling was easy because they were so soft. I don't think your pup's nails look anything like hers did.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest carriej

well, I kind of thought it might have been natural wear but everything is covered in several feet of snow.. He's been walking on fluffy snow for months. Mind you, he is lazy as all get out and after a few minutes he starts to drag behind so walking isn't something we do a ton of.

However thanks guys, you have put my mind at ease. I sent them off to the adoption group and she didn't seem to think they looked like SLO either.