Food Obsession Is Getting Very Old, Please Help

I agree, I will definitely start the impulse control training when nobody else is here. Phoebe knows that her 'daddy' is the weak link, and everything I teach her sort of goes out the window when he's home. He may require the more intensive training. :lol

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Sounds to me like perhaps she is just a high drive dog. While that is a wonderful blessing for working purposes it does tend to make them not so good at the pet thing. She would probably be a champ working at something like Nosework and once they have that job the other "issues" have an amazing tendency to dissipate. If at all possible try to find her a job and you might be surprised how much it helps. Honestly :)

Just an anecdote:

On Thanksgiving I took Toni, our food hog dog, to my brother's house with me. They have a Great Pyrenees and the two love to play together. But my SIL doesn't allow dogs in her kitchen, which is different than our house. Once we got there, Toni immediately took up her station as the kitchen crumb dropper cleaner-upper. SIL calmly but firmly told her OUT and moved her beyond the threshold. That lasted for about 5 seconds until her back was turned and then Toni was right back in the kitchen again. SIL had to repeat the OUT and move three or four times, but Toni caught on very quickly and didn't go into the kitchen again the entire time we were there.

It just takes calmness and consistency. In addition, we teach all of our dogs a "wait" command at doors, so there isn't a huge breakout every time we want to go outside. It works equally well for inside doors.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I agree, I will definitely start the impulse control training when nobody else is here. Phoebe knows that her 'daddy' is the weak link, and everything I teach her sort of goes out the window when he's home. He may require the more intensive training. :lol

agree 1k%

i have learned to send dh to classes with out me and preferably with a male trainer. it helps, they are so darn difficult to train!

There's a simple solution here (maybe not simple to execute, especially with family members who are inconsistent, but the concept is simple ;) ). Dogs do what works for them. Even if Phoebe doesn't get food when she goes in the kitchen (and I suspect she does, even if it's just licking bits that have fallen) she's still getting closer to the food, which in and of itself can be rewarding to a food motivated dog. If nothing else, she gets a lot of attention (that's what all of that "out" "out" "Pheobe out" is to her). All you have to do is make it MORE rewarding for her to be outside of the kitchen than in it. Frankly it continues to amaze me how little people reward their dogs for doing the things we want them to do even though they may be completely counterintuitive to our dogs - laying quietly on a dog bed while we watch TV, walking with us on a walk rather than trying to run off and do doggie things, and yes, staying out of the kitchen when food is being prepared ;) - but that's a digression and not directed specifically at you. :)

Anyway, anytime you go in the kitchen and she doesn't, toss a treat to her. If you need/want to, pick a designated spot and ask her to lie there, continuing to reward her when she does. Reward often with high value (people) food anytime you're in the kitchen and she's not. Stick with it. You have a long history of the opposite behavior to overcome, but bright as she sounds I think she'll get it quickly once she figures out that what really pays is to be on her bed outside of the kitchen. I'd probably also work on training her to be baby gated away so you have that option when you have guests.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Johberry

Don't have any advice since my hound is the same with food, but wanted to offer my empathy. I love others' suggestions of the "it's your choice" game. We may have to start doing that with our hound. We have our kitchen babygated so that Enzo can't get in there, but when it is open even in the slightest amount (for instance, when we're putting groceries away and have to be in and out of the kitchen), he walks right in and attempts to countersurf. Good luck with your girl.

.... Even if Phoebe doesn't get food when she goes in the kitchen (and I suspect she does, even if it's just licking bits that have fallen) she's still getting closer to the food, which in and of itself can be rewarding to a food motivated dog. ...

Which is why Heyokha goes into the kitchen and barks at food on the counter while wagging his tail :lol

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

You do need to train your husband.

Also, exercise, exercise, and more exercise! The more tired she is, the easier it is to train her. Have you done obedience classes? It's mentally exhausting and will help teach you good skills. Make your husband go too so he also learns.