Possible Herniated Disc In Neck

Guest lynne893

Guest lynne893

Our Greta may have a herniated disc in her neck. We took her in to the vet late last Friday night and have had her on three pain meds for the last 8 days (methocarbomal, rimadyl and tramadol) and will continue treatment for the week ahead before the vet has her do an MRI or Xray. Please send up prayers for us that her symptoms resolve before that. We can't afford those tests right now much less extensive treatment-- can't afford it in terms of money or time. We just had a newborn baby 16 days ago and our hands are so full right now with no family in the area to help out.

She was stumbling around, head bowed, shaking and seeming out of it. She's still moving slow and a little uncoordinated with the pain meds and we're doing all we can to keep her calm and inactive. With the new baby, both of our hounds are going stir-crazy with the crying and inactivity. DH is walking the other hound as often as he can, which isn't very often, but we're doing our best to give everyone what they need.

It's so hard and stressful right now, worrying about Greta, taking care of baby and dealing with my own physical and lack of sleep state of being state post-partum... Goodness, when it rains it pours.

Please send good thoughts that Greta's neck gets better without further ado.

Fwiw it's a common condition with our retired hounds and often will resolve with medications and rest. Please make sure she is leash walked with a harness and only long enough to do her business. What can help is applying warm moist heat to her neck if she'll allow it.

Congrats on your baby--hang in there it will get better.

My Lou had that for years. The first night we adopted him we had to rush him to E-vet. I have had him to vet chiro which helped, but I always have deximethisone (sp?) in the house as well as a muscle relaxer. Symptoms will happen when you least expect it and having these meds on hand helps tremendously along with rest.

Good luck

Fwiw it's a common condition with our retired hounds and often will resolve with medications and rest. Please make sure she is leash walked with a harness and only long enough to do her business. What can help is applying warm moist heat to her neck if she'll allow it.

Congrats on your baby--hang in there it will get better.

a dog walker & harness will be your best friends- as tbhounds said,even if it is just a quickie and rest for both you and greta. that was the one thing that really helped w/ my sanity when DD was born. DH was back at work when she was 2 days old and yes, it's most difficult getting out with a dog and a new born.

hopefully the inflamed/herniated disk will shrink back quickly- that's exactly what happens to humans when they herniate a disk. it's time, rest and anti-inflamatories for humans. hopefully your vet will be supportive of your wise decision. best of luck with the new baby- once they hit 11lbs the world changes, their tummies are big enough to hold enough milk/formula for a good couple of hours. that day will come...congats!

What can help is applying warm moist heat to her neck if she'll allow it.

A rice filled tube sock put in the microwave for about a minute works as a good, quick means of moist warm heat. I usually roll it a bit in my hands to redistribute the rice grains after taking it out of the microwave in the event that it has gotten too hot in certain spots.

When Susie had that we took her to a holistic vet who gave her massage therapy. We carried her in the 1st time because she couldn't stand and 2 months later she was running. She was 14 1/2 at the time and lived past her 15th birthday.

PRINCESS
ANGELS: SUSIE (BANDIT SUE) 3/26/1991-5/13/2006, TIPPER (MPS KRISTINA) 7/23/1999-2/4/2008, LADYBUG (BB'S LADYBUG) 5/19/2005-7/9/2008,
HAPPY 12/2000-10/9/2013, RICHY (DON L RICHY RICH) 11/5/2002-5/17/2015, DARREN 9/24/2005-3/2/2017, TUCKER (AWESOME ABILITY) 12/29/2004-12/4/2017,
BUG (BB'S DANCING BUG) 5/19/2005-11/17/2018, Dee (KIOWA DIANDRA) 10/9/2007-6/20/2022, Buddy (PJ PLUTARCH) 11/21/2013-9/8/2023)