How To Stop Play Biting/mouthing?

Guest Joni

We've had Violet for 3 or 4 weeks now, and she seems to be getting really comfortable with the kids... maybe a little TOO comfortable. On a couple of different occasions I've caught Violet 'play biting' my 9 year old son when they were out in the yard together. (I don't know what it is about Porter, but she seems to be at her most playful with him.) She's done it once or twice on me and on the six year old, but she goes after Porter like he is made of peanut butter! He and I both said NO to her immediately but I don't know if it made any difference... she seems to have situational deafness... hmm, much like the kids. She only stopped this time when she got the sleeve of his pajama shirt caught on one of her teeth (really).

Porter doesn't seem terribly bothered by it, and she really isn't trying to bite him hard - even on his bare skin, she hasn't left a mark. And I do understand that she's probably going through a 'puppy phase' right now (she's also been chewing everything she can get her hands on, from blocks to Pokemon cards to a row of metal staples - yes, really) but I wouldn't tolerate a puppy mouthing a person either.

Is there something we need to be doing besides the stern NO? Should I have her wear a muzzle every time she is outdoors or with the kids - will that actually stop the mouthing, or is it just a Band Aid? (She tolerates the muzzle just fine.) I try to redirect her with like a stuffed animal she is allowed to chew on, but by the time I can do that, the moment has passed. I need to be able to address the issue immediately. I also need to be able to explain this to the kids - they already understand that when Violet is doing something she shouldn't, we immediately respond with NO - and while she UNDERSTANDS the No pretty well, she isn't always listening! ;)

Guest Scouts_mom

If you watch puppies, you will notice that if one pup gets to playing too rough or biting too hard, the victim pup will squeal and the attacking puppy will stop. Tell your son to imitate this behavior. When Violet bites, he needs to immediately squeal or squeak. I've done this with my dogs and they stop immediately--it is instinct, and works better than "no".

If you watch puppies, you will notice that if one pup gets to playing too rough or biting too hard, the victim pup will squeal and the attacking puppy will stop. Tell your son to imitate this behavior. When Violet bites, he needs to immediately squeal or squeak. I've done this with my dogs and they stop immediately--it is instinct, and works better than "no".

Great advice, but I just want to add that you should tell your son to immediately stop whatever play was happening at the same time as he makes the noise....a child running around, or whatever, squeaking might be a recipe for disaster.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

My Diana was a big-time mouther. It was an affectionate, play gesture to her. She'd mouth hands or arms. Mostly mine - not other people's. NO didn't work. The "yip" didn't work. What worked - was turning my back on her and crossing my arms over my chest.

Porter is 9 - that's old enough to be taught how to deal with this. Even if it doesn't bother him and isn't a "bad" behavior - it's not right or necessary. And - you certainly don't want your dog to think it's ok to chew on people. So - I'd tell Porter that when Violet starts chawing on him he should turn his back, cross his arms over his chest and not look at her. When she gets over it they can play. I'd explain to him that other people might not understand Violet's play-chewing and might be scared so he needs to teach her that it's not OK.

At that age - you can also tell him that because Violet chose him to chaw on - maybe he's her favorite - he can have the JOB of teaching her a very important lesson she needs to learn. And only he can teach it.

I'd give him some tips - and trust him to deal with it. Kids are very capable of dealing with things if we give them a bit of guidance. And I truly believe - kids and animals have a bond than adults don't get.

I agree, but would rather have a child 'yelp' than 'squeal'. A quick, loud, high pitched 'OUCH' should do the trick. :)

That's what we've done with River (who, BTW, I noticed is exactly 1 yr older than Violet & also a brindle... annnnd also still very puppy-ish ;) )

I warn everyone that she still has some puppy in her- how, I don't know. She's turning 4 on Saturday :blink: But she does. She chews (thank you Nylabone!!) She's clingy like a toddler. And she play bites/mouths. Anyone that comes over, I warn them about her mouth and if she does mouth them, to immediately stop petting/playing and give a very loud, high, dramatic OW!

Guest SaltiDawg

My experience with other breeds is a good loud "Ouch." Turn away and it would be great to re-direct by offering a Nylabone or similar. As often as not outside, there will not be a Nylabone/Kong readily available.

When I was a breeder, I would not allow a pup of even four weeks to put his mouth on a human... it's a more difficult task when you are starting with an adult dog.

Good luck in your effort!

Whenn she gets mouthy in the house, we quickly offer her a stuffie to murder, and that usually works pretty well.

I've been putting Volet's muzzle on her when we let her in the yard with Porter, as well as making sure they are closely supervised. Actually, the only time she broke the skin was when she was muzzled - but I think it may have either been one of her claws or maybe a sharp plastic edge somewhere on the muzzle. Porter has a small scratch on his cheek. He's not the least bit bothered by it - to be honest, I think P actually *enjoys* the play biting! She has a different bond with each member of her family, and Porter is definitely her Crazy Aggressive Play Buddy.

So we are continuing to work on it. She's a good dog, but she's definitely a silly little puppy at heart!

Guest Johberry

Ah! Our hound is starting to playbite too. Usually happens when he gets over-excited. I also say "OW" or "NO" and turn my back to him and ignore him. Hopefully, he starts to understand it's not okay to use his teeth on us.

I agree, but would rather have a child 'yelp' than 'squeal'. A quick, loud, high pitched 'OUCH' should do the trick. :)

This, and the advice for him to stop moving above, except you need to be the one who makes the noise, not him. As soon as you see her mouth on him, "OWWWWW!!!!" and play stops for about 30 seconds.

Also consider how much exercise shes getting and when relative to when shes doing this to your son. I know people dont like to hear this, but if your dog is being overly mouthy, she's not getting enough exercise (and/or mental stimulation). So you might increase her number of play sessions per day (if she won't run on her own, play fetch, tug, or chase me) and/or consider taking her to a training class or pick up something like nosework. Most importantly, while youre first out doing these things to tire her out, and when shes most aroused, the kids arent out with you.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

but if your dog is being overly mouthy, she's not getting enough exercise (and/or mental stimulation).

:nod

Absolutely that is correct. Peggy gets like it when she doesn't get enough attention and exercize.

She's currently on the leash in the park and other safe public places because the ground is just too hard for her to run flat-out without bruising her back feet. She so hates not being allowed to run and so the displacement activity starts: mouthing, pawing one's leg and, most annoying of all, zoomies followed by digging instant holes in the back garden where the turf is weak. The mouthing is stopped by: "Ouch! Silly dog!", gripping her muzzle (nose) lightly with one hand and then walking-on. The hole digging yet has no remedy and was made worse after the water utility people mole-drained in a new pipe along the house to the kitchen area. 3 patches of weak turf are irresistible! Soon it will rain and the running surfaces will soften, and I know for sure the mouthing and digging will drop off.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest fastcasper

Tell your son to say "ouch" in a high pitch voice and get up and walk away. Ignore the pup because they HATE being ignored! Then they can resume play and repeat!!