Arthritis At Four Years Old?

Guest Newbie

Guest Newbie

This morning our boy was favoring one foot and yelped when we tried to look at it. I noticed a spot on his pad and was dreading the vet telling us it was a corn. To my surprise, he said it wasn't a corn (just a small, healing cut) and that he believes instead that he has "pre arthritis." We were given some anti-inflammatory and supplements to help him recover over the next few days. If he doesn't get better, we'll do x-rays, etc. He has a very pronounced limp (basically a tripod) when he first gets up from a long time laying down, but seems to get much more comfortable after he moves around for a while.

Has anyone else experienced arthritis in their hound at such a young age? Our vet said that the high number of races and wins our boy had may be what's causing his pain now. His theory is that he was just run hard and his body is broken down a bit. It just seems crazy to me that a four-year old could have arthritis. He's been retired for about four months and with us for 6 weeks.

Any experience or advice here would be greatly appreciated. It kills me to see our sweet boy in pain!

Thanks!

When Paul was about 4-1/2, he was limping and holding up his leg. I was very afraid that it was osteo and we had just adopted him a few months earlier. Our vet took xrays and determined it was a soft tissue injury. While I would not pretent to know everything, I would lean towards something other than arthritis. But, then again, I am not a vet, and maybe your's is correct. Paul did recover with NSAIDs, but that leg was always on the sore side.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest AimeeBee

I give my 5 nearing 6 year old (he retired at almost 5) a glucosamine supplement and have been doing so for about 4 months. While he wasn't having pain to the extent your boy is, he was a little hesitant to jump into the back of the car and seemed stiff at times when getting up over the winter. I have noticed improvements -- he seems happier and is eager to jump in the car/zoom with other dogs more so than before I started him on it. Next time you speak to your vet see what they think about potentially adding in some kind of joint supplement?

Me being the paranoid overprotective mom would probably get the x-rays done just to rule out anything dire. Also, please be mindful of his weight! Something important for all dogs, but if arthritis is a concern then carrying extra pounds won't do him any good. Others may be able to give you more information, but that's what has worked for me so far.

Edited by AimeeBee

We adopted Joe at 4, and he's always had owie back legs. We went through the "OMG! He must have osteo!" thing, had x-rays done, and, as above, it was diagnosed as most likely being a soft tissue injury. He got drugs and a lot of rest. It still flares sometimes, but I know what to avoid, and monitor his love of running around like a lunatic. (I still let him run, but I give an NSAID shortly after anything excessive.)

These guys are athletes. Athletes get hurt. After you've ruled out the worst, you manage, and it's ok.

I also wouldn't rule out a corn unless this is a vet truly experienced with greyounds. Can you post a pic?

Edited by Riverhound

Guest OPointyDog

Our Zoe has had severe arthritis in one of her legs since we got her - at age 2. The same leg was broken and operated on twice. Perhaps your dog had a serious track injury that has healed, but is still causing him problems. It could be arthritis, I think. Zoe gets supplements (Glycoflex III) and had physical therapy to strengthen her leg.

I actually just went through the same thing with Zoe - limping horribly all weekend, so she went to the vet today. I was fearing osteo or worsening arthritis (she's now 5), but she seems to have the beginning of a corn. Trying to sort out what to do about it now....

My first greyhound Finn was diagnosed with arthritis at 3.5 years in his left wrist. Glocosamine then hyaluronic acic supplements were helpful until at 8 years was diagnosed with osteo just above that wrist. Poor boy never could cut a break as he suffered with corns as well.

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

It could be arthritis but there is no way to diagnose that without an x-ray.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.