Sammi Slipped And Fell Hard

Sammi forgets once in a while that she is 11+ :( This evening, after dinner, she got excited when I was getting the leashes out and did her kangaroo hopping behind me. When I turned, she collided with my elbow while hopping up and her back leg gave out :cry1 She fell HARD on her side.

I checked her over carefully, no sensitive spots. She walked fine. No limp.

Well now, a few hours later, she is stiff and wobbly. I wouldn't say she is favoring it, more like determined to tough it out. I gave her one of her pain pills and she is snuggled next to me on the couch, staying still and looking completely pitiful.

Should I apply heat/keep her hips warm? I feel guilty because it was my elbow she bonked that tipped her balance, even tho I know that her back end is getting weaker and she has sprawled or tripped on her own accord. (Her back end is the #1 reason we moved our bedroom to the downstairs. No more stairs for our little lovey. )

Hopefully she feels better in the morning. I'm worried about her. :sad1

Edited by Gryffenne

Personally, I would not add any heat. If anything, a cool cloth (applied for no more than a few minutes at a time) could help reduce swelling. Hopefully her pain medication might provide some anti-inflammatory properties.

Positive thoughts for a speedy recovery for your girl.

She'll probably have some stiffness/pain tomorrow as well. Gentle stretches (including perhaps slower walkies) should help work through that, and a bit of gentle massage while you're snuggling won't hurt her at all either.

I'm glad there don't seem to be any serious injuries!

Hope your sweet old girl bounces back quickly and completely. My girls are 11 and they forget sometimes too.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown