Anal Discharge - Glands Are Empty, What Could This Be?

Late last week Jeff, who is 5 1/2, was really going after his butt. Although he hasn't had problems before, I thought maybe anal glands were the issue, and took him in. Tech expressed them, said the left side was virtually empty, right side not full and emptied with no issue. I thought we were done.

However, he has continued to lick his anal area and lick to either side. He has a discharge - not constant, but that seems to be what triggers the licking, and I think the "either side" thing is because it sometimes runs.

It looks dark on him, on an (unscented) baby wipe looks reddy-brown, and a couple of times has looked like blood to me - very light though, as if dilute.

He's going in to the vet first thing in the morning on Monday, but if anyone has any similar experience or ideas, I would greatly appreciate having that information going in.

Thank you very much!

Edited by Rickiesmom

It could be an infected (vs. impacted) anal gland. Pal had to deal with that at a very late age - it took three rounds of antibiotics to clear it up.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

No offense to vet techs but I'd rather a vet examine and empty anal glands. I don't let groomers do it either.

The way your boy keeps licking sounds like an anal gland about to rupture. It happened to my Gracie. Once it burst she felt much better and was treated with an antibiotic.

Tessa had a bulge that wasn't quite in the right place. It wasn't a swollen anal gland. It was a hernia of the bowel at the rectum that came and went.

Editing to add: This photo shows where Gracie's gland ruptured. Is this where your boy is licking?

65502607-b530-4a47-8396-a856a83ed64c_zps

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I wouldn't mind letting a tech express the glands, but would certainly want a vet to take a look in this case. The 'nearly empty' one could in fact be infected or simply contain stuff which isn't emptying in the proper way. If there's any trace of blood it needs attention.

Let us know how you get on!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Thanks everyone.

Vet said, as the tech had also found, left side to be empty, and right not very full. Discharge was coming from the right, vet believes there is likely infection, and has put Jeff on Clavaseptin. He did not feel any mass, so believes there is no tumour (whew!).

We have a recheck on Thursday.

Hope Jeff recovers from this quickly and it really is just an infection that will clear up soon.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Off and on Brady has had problems with his annal glands.

This past fall he developed an infection in the right gland and we had to do 2 rounds of antibiotics. After the round of anibiotics, my vet could not believe I was back with the same problem, so the second antibiotic was a broader spectem one and he been fine since.

I am glad no masses were felt and that the antibotics clear everything up.

Debbie

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....