Weight?

Guest OhCatastrophe

Guest OhCatastrophe

So I know greys are suppose to look a bit skinnier than normal dogs.. But I still am unsure about my Cleo's weight.. If she should gain or if she's good.

The foster family who had her for a month have been feeding her 2 cups twice a day (morning/night)

She said that she did stop eating as much after she got fixed.. So if she is too skinny that is why.

I've been feeding her the same as they did since I got her a couple days ago. What do you guys think?

t7Flnsul.jpg

ZHilqQfl.jpg

PBdIhMJ.png

If she does need to gain, how should I go about doing that??

Also, isn't she just wonderful.. She just stood their and let me take pictures!! Haha

Edited by OhCatastrophe

Just by her backbone she looks a bit on the skinny side for my taste, but not a lot. If she hasn't been fecal tested that might be a starting point.. It also depends on what kind of food she's getting. 4 cups of food a day is a lot more most girlhounds but like people foods, kibbles can vary widely in calories per cup. I just might keep the status quo for a little bit. She's going thru a lot of stress right now.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I find white and fawn or all fawn greys always looks skinny more so then others. I think maybe a pound or 2 more. I like to keep mine around her racing weight or a pound above. I add and subtract food as needed.

Kristen mom to-

Sp FancyPants (Fanny)- 4.20.12 Adopted 3.8.14

Rico's Maggie (Maggie)- 12.3.12 Adopted 1.21.15

She's thin, but fine. Very well muscled. A fecal is a good idea, but beyond that, keep up with what the foster home was doing for at least a couple weeks before you decide to fatten her up. Let her adjust to you, and you to her. You're probably going to spoil her with treats anyway! (And, yes. She's wonderful and beautiful, and a very good girl for letting you pester her with the flashy box!)

Agree with the others! Lots of new adopters try to put weight on their dogs by increasing kibble and loading up on treats. Both of those things are likely to cause diarrhea (counter-intuitive, since a dog doesn't gain when the food is going right through them). I'd probably just keep things the same and let her adjust. When they stop racing, they fill out pretty well with a regular diet. Four cups is pretty standard.

ETA: Oh, and get used to people constantly making "you dog is too skinny" comments. You're bound to get those all the time, especially with a fawn. Their ribs and body contours tend to be more obvious, since they don't have stripes or spots to act as camouflage.

Edited by a_daerr

Guest roweboy

I'm a pretty new owner (3 months) and I had concerns about CJ's weight when we got him. He had been off the track for 2 months and spent most of that time at a prison training program. We've added a couple of pounds to him, and I think he looks good. His backbone is somewhat visible but less pronounced and his shoulder blades have lost the deep valley between them. We can still see his last few ribs and I weigh him when I take him to the pets store just to see where he is. He is about 78/79 lbs. I give him a cup of kibble in the morning mixed with something, another at lunch and 2 more at dinner. He's not a voracious eater and will occasionally take a few bites and leave it to another time. As long as his weight is good, his coat is shiny and his behavior is normal, I don't fret about how much he eats. I mix raw chicken ground up at a butcher sometimes and he gets 1-2 frozen turkey necks per week.

She's so pretty and patient! This is my first grey and I'm so amazed at how patient & easy-going he is.

Guest OhCatastrophe

Agree with the others! Lots of new adopters try to put weight on their dogs by increasing kibble and loading up on treats. Both of those things are likely to cause diarrhea (counter-intuitive, since a dog doesn't gain when the food is going right through them). I'd probably just keep things the same and let her adjust. When they stop racing, they fill out pretty well with a regular diet. Four cups is pretty standard.

ETA: Oh, and get used to people constantly making "you dog is too skinny" comments. You're bound to get those all the time, especially with a fawn. Their ribs and body contours tend to be more obvious, since they don't have stripes or spots to act as camouflage.

I've already gotten those comments.. How am I suppose to respond?

I've already gotten those comments.. How am I suppose to respond?

some of the ones I have used (based on how offensive the person is, or if I know them or not)

-you dont see overweight track stars very often

-she is perfect for a greyhound

-it is actually an optical illusion

- she has the waist n hips to die for!

- *just smile and move on*

As for a retort years ago to a really really rude n pushy owner of an obese beagle that was wheezing and waddling.... my irish temper flared at that one.

my general reaction is usually just mild humor, a smile, and a quick "its a greyhound." You will find some people are willing to learn new things, while others will roll their eyes and not believe anything you say.

Edited by Gryffenne

She looks just right to me. She'll naturally "soften" up a little unless you exercise her a lot, and that'll blur those edges a bit, but don't let anyone tell you she's too thin. She's supposed to be thin!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest OhCatastrophe

How old is Cleo? 2 yr olds often look a little skinny as they are still filling out.

She will be 2 on June 4th!

some of the ones I have used (based on how offensive the person is, or if I know them or not)

-you dont see overweight track stars very often

-she is perfect for a greyhound

-it is actually an optical illusion

- she has the waist n hips to die for!

- *just smile and move on*

As for a retort years ago to a really really rude n pushy owner of an obese beagle that was wheezing and waddling.... my irish temper flared at that one.

my general reaction is usually just mild humor, a smile, and a quick "its a greyhound." You will find some people are willing to learn new things, while others will roll their eyes and not believe anything you say.

This should be wonderful.. I don't deal with ignorant people very well. Hahahaha

Guest jschwe

My grey is different from yours (very tall boy) but for what its worth, he has eaten 2.5 cups twice a day since we got him a year and a half ago, and still he has a good portion of his spine and hip bone visible. He's definitely put on weight since we got him, and he's healthy. He's just built skinny.

I posted a pic a while back of my tall, bony grey and his short, stocky friend. They are the same weight. Some greys just always look skinnier than others!

Guest carriej

My Kowalla was always bony, his spine and hips always stuck out even when he had a soft belly. He was built differently than my other guy and always looked very skinny. It was just the way he was.

I think she could use another couple of pounds.

As far as what may be critical comments regarding her weight, if there's the time, I consider it an opportunity to educate people about Greyhounds and what's required to keep them healthy, which, IMO, starts with them being kept at a weight that makes them look skinny. I just don't find it necessary, or nice, to be rude to questions like that.