Manuka Honey

where do you purchase it from? I live in Ontario so not all vendors ship to Canada but there is a store in Toronto. However, there are some different types (MGO vs UMF) so which is the best? tia

Edited by greytpups

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

UMF used to be the only scale/quality check, but other countries (other than NZ) have begun to label their honeys in different ways. UMF simply stands for 'Unique Manuka Factor', but it's been discovered that some rainforest honeys have a similar type of non-peroxide antibacterial activity, so they have started their own grading system - like The Active Honey Company.

MGO seems to be a kind of rival manuka honey rating within NZ.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

You often can find it in health food stores. Here in the U.S., Whole Foods carries it, and I think they have locations in Canada.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest larock

I've purchased it online - from Ebay I think, But that was back in 2008. I'm going to New Jersey in a month if you want me to pick some up for you.

Edited by larock

Jan, I can't answer which is best, but I have used both for Nadir with good results. I used a 16 UMF rated honey to heal a badly infected pressure sore and I used a 400+ MGO rated honey for his intestinal problems.

Judy, thanks for the link to the article explaining the difference between the two. I'm going to make sure to bookmark it.

Edited to correct MGO rate

Edited by 4My2Greys

Thanks Lynn, I've emailed whole foods in Oakville to see if they carry it. It's also available at the st Lawrence market.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Whole Foods carries (or did carry) Manuka honey rated "Bio-Active 15+"

Just one caution: If you use it and a wound looks worse, stop and consult a vet. I had a friend who used manuka honey on her grey's scraped toe, which began to swell almost immediately. Turns out, the dog is seriously allergic to bees.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

last night there was a BBC show, 'SuperVet', episode 2, which featured a stray rescued from thailand & brought back to the UK. it had been attacked with a machete and had one front leg amputated and the the other almost cut through at the paw, the dumped on the beach. the vacationing couple that found it had it treated & returned to the UK, and it had turned into a well adjusted family pet.

sadly the remaining leg's 'wrist' bones had been damaged and the 'finger' bones had deteriorated, and were causing a lot of pain and the dog was having trouble getting up & walking. the 'Supervet' reconstructed the paw using bone from her hips, and stabilised everything with steel rods and a frame. everything seemed to be healing OK, but they found a raging infection one morning and an evil wound discharge. 'Supervet' treated it with anti-biotics and manuka honey & it healed up nicely after a couple of weeks. the honey dried up the nasty germs and the infection where just anti-biotics would not have worked.

Capture002-4.jpg

Daphne's leg having honey poured on it.

Capture003-3.jpg

better shot of the leg (frame being removed)

Capture004.jpg

Daphne all better, going home with her new paw.

ref: Linky to Supervet, series 1 episode 2 - for those who can get it...may be regional.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.