Sudden, Constant Incontinence

As I posted about last week, Tori had a health episode last week where she almost completely lost use of her hind legs. She was also in considerable pain (you can read my previous thread here). She received a cortisone shot and we added gabepentin to the mix, on top of the tramadol she had previously been on. Her response to the steroid has been great. She's clearly feeling much better, although her hind end is still weak.

Last night she had two accidents inside the house, including one on her bed. She pees in the house occasionally, and always in the same spot. The bed was definitely a surprise and it upset her. After that she slept through the night without incident. I should note that she is not drinking any more than usual.

I got a clean urine catch first thing this morning and brought it in to the vet, in case she had a UTI. There was zero sign of any infection.

DH just called as he is the first one home and, not only had she wet the bed again, she is constantly dribbling as she walks around. She doesn't seem to be noticing it.

My vet is currently traveling to Chicago and his office is trying to contact him before they close today. They mentioned it being hormonal incontinence, but this seems to be awfully quick and severe to be such a thing. Might it be related to her hind end issues? If so, what in the world do I do about it? We can't have her peeing everywhere she goes all day long.

I would appreciate your thoughts and advice. Thanks!

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

You should definitely check with your vet, but I suspect it may be just another symptom of her hind end weakness. It's fairly common for dogs to start going without being aware when they have something like LS, although I see more reports of boys defecating (the poop just sort of falls out when they're walking). It would make sense to me though that females would also urinate since it's all at the back end so to speak. ;) If she seems unaware of it, rather than her actually squatting to do a normal pee, that would be my guess. If that's teh case, all you can do is put down pee pads or have her wear diapers. :(

I would still want to check blood and urine for potential kidney issues. What was her USG on the urinalysis, do you know?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."