Cheap Trick Suggestions?

I'm trying to think of things Milo the Wonder Hound could do when he's visiting as a therapy dog. He doesn't always pay attention to people who don't pay a lot of attention to him first, and I'd like a few structured activities for him to "invite" people to engage with him. He trains very quickly. He knows the basics. What do you suggest for a "cheap trick" that could be seen by a person lying down in bed, for example? And we're not allowed to let people give the dogs treats.

How would I train him to shake a paw with someone else, not me? Would teaching him to lay his head on someone's knee/leg/arm seem too invasive? Not everyone would be physically/mentally able to give permission first.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Teach him to wave. Requires no contact with the person but is cute and engaging. Also "shame" (cover nose/eyes with paw).

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

So ... a friend of mine has a therapy grey that she taught to 'play the piano'. She got Yaz a little kiddie piano, and taught him to place his paw down on the keys for treats.

He wasn't Bach (ok, he sounded more like Shostakovich), but he certainly was a charmer!

The other idea I had was to get him a little girls' baby doll carriage (one that has good-moving wheels, and is about 18" tall), and teach him to push the carriage around with his nose or mouth (maybe with some little treats for the patients). Again ... who could resist? And it would be unique without invading anyone's 'space'.

Bow is really easy and everyone loves it! I taught it by capturing it when the dogs would stretch. They now do it on voice command and if I bow to them.

Touch is also good. Just have him put his nose to their palm. They'll be giving consent by offering their hand, but it's also easy for most people even if they're bedridden to put their hand off the bed.

Spin is cute.

If he's not normally a big tail wagger, you can teach him to wag his tail on command. It works best to start them in sphinx position and any time he moves his tail, click and treat. Once he has that down, start while he's standing. It only took Bu a couple days to learn to wag on command while laying down. He doesn't stand often enough to bother while he's standing. :lol

Thanks for the great ideas (and the album cover). Milo says thanks, too. He loves working on stuff.

Wendell puts his paw out and puts it on your arm or leg if you are sitting. He normally does it when you stop petting him, but when we go to meet and greets or he is with my family people melt over this move!

I'm sure its endearing when Wendell does it, but with Milo it's pushy and obnoxious. :shakefinger

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter