Soiling In The Crate - Need Some Advice

Not for me but for one of our adopters.

This boy has not hesitated to pee in his crate since going into the home. In his foster home this never happened. The differences are that the foster mom was home most of the time, but anytime he was left in his crate there was no problem.

He is not drinking excessively, goes out for a walk before the fellow goes to work. We have tried having someone come in to let him out partway through the day, have also tried NOT crating him. Have put a belly band on - didn't discourage him a bit. Been to the vet -- no UTi. There is a another dog - non greyhound in the home who is not crated (but has no accidents at all)

This adopter has been amazingly patient, has come home from work everyday for the last 6 months and washes all the bedding etc. But it is wearing on him, and now the boy has started to poop while he is gone as well.

Any advice you could give that I could pass on would be really appreciated.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Can she put a webcam on him to see what he's up to when she's not home? Could be some separation anxiety.

Also - is he getting adequate exercise and fully emptying before she leaves him crated?

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

So many questions. How long is the dog alone? as mentioned above; how much exercise is he getting? Can the adopter get a dog-walker or neighbor to let him out in the middle of the day?

Just some thoughts.

Sounds like George.

The only suggestion I have is to look at what the dog is being given in the Kong!

As you know, George has FINALLY stopped peeing during the day (knock on wood) since I stopped giving him peanut butter.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I'm wondering if it has more to do with the other dog than SA.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

How long is the dog alone?

The dog is alone approx 8 hours a day.

Exercise is he getting?

The adopter says lots (but not sure)

dog-walker or neighbor to let him out in the middle of the day

I suggested this and we tried it - there were accidents before the dog walker even got. there. As for alone training, we went back to basics and started over while the adopter was on vacation. And things were good for about one month, but have just gone backwards.

Another note - this guy came from an adoption kennel where turnouts may not have been very regular. We have a few dogs that arrived that were used to peeing in their crate. Any other ideas on how to stop it?

I know the dog is NOT getting a kong in the crate,

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

What food is the dog on Deb? Ambi's peeing decreased greatly once we changed his food to one that did not list SALT as an ingredient. (This is similar to George's peeing when he was getting PB). Just a thought...

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Deb, as Jan mentioned, could it be something about the interaction with the other dog? A webcam could be a good idea. I do know when I had Indy confined, he went berserk with the other dogs being loose. He wasn't soiling in the crate, though. From your description of his previous situation, it seems like that is a normal behavior. Remedial housetraining?

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I am going to suggest a webcam. Already changed his food - put him on raw with no salt. That was at the same time the fellow was on vacation and things were better for a short time.

I think we need some remedial housebreaking - but how do you start when it never happens when he is at home.

Deb, and da Croo

Granted, Leo has other issues, and we are using an anti-anxiety medication, and a kong, and a belly band....and sometimes he still pees in his crate.

But, what seems to have helped recently to tip the balance is playing NPR while we're gone. If the new boy is hearing something that's scaring him, maybe some talk radio would help smooth over the scary sounds. Is he showing any signs of fear/anxiety about anything else in his daily life?

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

If not medical and dog is not having accidents while owner is home, sounds like classic separation anxiety to me (possibly coupled with confinement anxiety). Accidents often happen within the first 30 minutes to an hour (or so) after owner's departure if from anxiety.

Agree that video would help determine dog's behavior and timing. Another option: If crate is visible from a window, owner could drive away as usual, park down the street, walk back home to watch dog's behavior from a window (without dog seeing/hearing owner).

(Clarification for new readers: Please don't place crate near window that gets direct sun due to oven effect/overexposure.)

Depending on AM walk style and duration, possibly increase walk time.

Important: Allow multiple outings before leaving for work. SA dogs begin building anxiety while watching owners' departure cues. Some hounds hold excess urine in their tank for "marking" during walks, so an additional backyard outing may help. (Less "marking" required in dog's own yard.)

Morning potty examples:

Eliminate upon awakening.

Outing about 10-15 minutes after dog eats breakfast (before human showers/dresses)

Outing immediately before driving away for work.

8 hours during the day is often too long without a potty opportunity. It's not the same as 8 hours overnight when dog is relaxed enough to sleep through the night with owner safely at home. (After a day of high anxiety, they're exhaused by bedtime.)

Dogs feeling high anxiety sometimes can't physically hold urine/bowels like they can when they are feeling calm and relaxed.

Important: Anxiety is fear based. It's extremely important to not punish a dog for anything he/she does that was caused by fear. Scolding magnifies dogs' anxiety for a long, long time. This compounds and creates additional problems. (What's that saying...Takes hundreds of "atta boys" to recover from one scolding.) Also important to not punish a dog by placing them into their crate. Crate should equal dog's happy, safe place. Feeding meals in crate may help if it's only a crate issue.

Considering this poor dog (and owner) has been struggling for 6 months, I'd agree with veterinary prescribed medication coupled with alone training. The crate is clearly not working well (ex-pen would be the same problem), but owner might consider baby-gating dog's most frequented room, or kitchen with dog's comfy bed while he's at work. Prescribed mediation could truly be an amazing help for this dog while working through this issue. Otherwise, perhaps a retired/stay at home Greyhound owner in your group might welcome this boy into their home during weekdays as a dog sitting exchange or for minimal extra income.

Edited by 3greytjoys

How long is the dog alone?

The dog is alone approx 8 hours a day.

Exercise is he getting?

The adopter says lots (but not sure)

dog-walker or neighbor to let him out in the middle of the day

I suggested this and we tried it - there were accidents before the dog walker even got. there. As for alone training, we went back to basics and started over while the adopter was on vacation. And things were good for about one month, but have just gone backwards.

Another note - this guy came from an adoption kennel where turnouts may not have been very regular. We have a few dogs that arrived that were used to peeing in their crate. Any other ideas on how to stop it?

I know the dog is NOT getting a kong in the crate,

It is interesting that the dog is going backwards and I hope you don't take offense, but is the adopter being consistent? We all know how hard it is to juggle everything when we are working. I don't know the adopter's experience level and if this pup has problems to start with and the adopter isn't consistent that could be the problem. I really hope you are able to find something to help them adjust.

Some dogs won't touch Kongs, etc. while their human is away, but if this dog chews (channels anxiety), an appropriately sized hard "Durachew" by Nylabone could be an alternate to a Kong. Our hounds' favorite Durachew is shaped like a fist/arm, "souper" size, bacon flavored. If needed, smearing peanut butter helps initiate interest. They last a long time, but should be replaced before it becomes too worn down.

I am going to suggest the durachew type of toy. Spent some time with them tonight. Love the little retriever girl but OMG she is hyper. I also am not convinced that either of them are getting walks on a consistent basis - which does tend to be a problem up here in the winter months.

Have asked him to set up his webcam so we can observe for a couple of days . . . . 3 greyt days this week then yesterday . . . NOT so much.

Deb, and da Croo