Licking Her Feet

Charley has been licking her feet a lot lately. Mostly the front ones. I have examined them several times, can't find anything wrong. She doesn't object to me handling her feet, she's not limping :dunno Nothing red, sore, or swollen.

My thoughts are, allergies (they are bad here this year) or maybe a little arthritis that makes them hurt? Any other ideas? She will stop when I tell her to, but if I don't watch her she will start up again in a few minutes. After a bit she does stop for awhile, it isn't constant.

My foot lickers were all generally dealing with allergies, although I will say that Sam also licked his joints, had no allergies, but was probably licking due to his arthritis--at least I did suspect that. Other than that--any lawn chemicals/additives/etc that Charley could be licking off her feet?

If you've done any road walking lately it could be from the salt/weather treatment.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

a good medical grade Lavender Essential Oil used daily can really help allergy sufferers!

a drop or two, morning and night on Charley's chest area or armpit area (not on the already sore feet and someplace that is almost bald) will really help!!!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

a good medical grade Lavender Essential Oil used daily can really help allergy sufferers!

a drop or two, morning and night on Charley's chest area or armpit area (not on the already sore feet and someplace that is almost bald) will really help!!!

Thanks, I will try that!

If they're not itchy and red or sore, it's more likely to be just a habit -- self-calming behavior, kinda like sucking one's thumb -- than allergy or arthritis.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

If they're not itchy and red or sore, it's more likely to be just a habit -- self-calming behavior, kinda like sucking one's thumb -- than allergy or arthritis.

could be that as well, I just don't want her to lick to the point of creating sores, you know?

If she's an only, or if you have a gentle way to separate her out from any others, you could try giving her something else to lick (Kong with a little frozen peanutbutter, for example) and see if that helps her leave the feet alone. I do know what you mean about not wanting her to *make* things sore.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sobe licked his front feet every autumn. He probably had an allergy to fallen leaves or whatever else was around in the fall. The vet suggested Benadryl. It worked. We used it for a couple weeks, then stopped after the first frost. Same pattern for his entire life. We never bothered to get testing to find out exactly what he was allergic to - because it didn't matter. Every Autumn - foot-licking - every Autumn Benadryl for a while. Easy, cheap, effective. It could be other things - but try this because environmental allergies are easy to deal with, and easy to rule out.

I also have a grey that's a "pacifier" licker. Diana licks anything around her when she's tired or sleeping. Any body part, or the couch, or bedding. It's a habit. A pacifier. But - she's done it forever. There's nothing at all wrong with her. It's just her "pacifier". No allergies - no issues - it's just her "odd thing". I probably could've stopped it - but - no harm - no foul.