I am currently hosting the sweetest little girlhound and have only had her here since Saturday. She has fabulous radar ears and a really cute personality. I noticed though, that she seems really stiff when she first stands up after a nap or in the morning. It seems to wear off once she's been moving around a little bit. I noticed a similar stiffness about 3/4 of a mile into our walk yesterday. It doesn't seem to bother her too much, and when I poke at her and check her legs and feet, she stands still and wags her tail, but it absolutely slows her down and looks uncomfortable. She is very recently retired, but did run over 150 races, and will be 5 years old in April. Could she have some arthritis? It seems like she's a bit young for that, but I could be wrong. Are there any supplements that anyone can recommend to me that I should try out to see if they help? Or is there anything I should look into or even have checked out by our Vet?

Thanks in advance!

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Guest OPointyDog

She certainly could have arthritis - I think for some of them there's a lot of wear and tear on the joints with all those races.

Our 4-year-old has had severe arthritis in one leg - she broke it racing and is always stiff when she first gets up. We try to make sure she stretches and warms up before we walk her or let her run. She's also on a joint supplement - Glycoflex III. I'm not sure if it helps or not, but I guess it doesn't hurt.

I'm a firm believer in joint supplements. Desi was pretty gimpy when he came to me at age 7 (he ran 226 races in his career).

I immediately put him on Dasuquin twice a day and if I forget a day or two, I can tell.

For myownself I take Nutrimaxx Cosamin ASU for a bum shoulder and I can tell you for a fact that I can feel it if I forget for a day or so.

Certainly worth a try for a couple of months, see how it goes.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Desi was pretty gimpy when he came to me at age 7 (he ran 226 races in his career).

Holy smokes!

We had been using Springtime's Fresh Factors with very good results. I added their Joint Health (powder form, I fill capsules because Seamie is so picky) and then discontinued the Fresh Factors. At almost 14, he has been so good with just the Joint Health. His walks do vary from strolling to my being just about able to keep up with him but there is definite improvement with the Joint Health. He also gets Adequan injections every two weeks.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

X-ray.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sounds like a pretty successful racer, and in that case, yes her bones got a lot of pounding. Capri raced for three years at a year-round track (Daytona), over 130 races total and she has what may be called osteoarthritis. More of the sports injury kind rather than the flare up reumatoid arthritis kind. We give her Dasuquin daily and it really helps her a lot. Without it she is very stiff, climbing stairs like an old lady and yelps when she gets up from naps. When she's on it, she's spry and agile as a young dog.

I recommend you take your pup to the vet for an official diagnosis, though. You can just put him on Dasuquin (it's not prescription) but it's better to rule out other things, too.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Thank you all for weighing in! I will get her on a joint supplement, and will definitely get her looked at to check for any major issues. I still feel like four is a little young, especially since my nearly seven year old still prances around like a crazy pup. But, at the same time, the other hounds I have met did not run for nearly as long as she did. She's a pretty hilarious little thing, and clearly ran for the pure desire to catch the rabbit, and that drive led her to decent success. She only lasted for a couple of hours at her first home before trying to eat the kitty, which is why she's now with me! I just want to make sure her retirement is comfortable and happy.

Once you're sure it's arthritis, you might consider adding a fish oil supplement to the Dasequin. If cost is an issue, Costco sells Cosequin which is pretty similar to Dasequin and made by the same company.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Well, perhaps I spoke to soon. This morning she got up and was totally fine. Now I wonder if she just had a little tweak in her neck or something that caused her to be a little off-balance.

Thanks again for your responses!