Giving Up A Dog?

Guest queenme2

Aw I'm so sorry to hear about this, but I think you are doing the best thing possible for your girl. I agree with other people here that she is acting out since the new baby, and it would be horrible if something happened like another bite that got her labeled as a dangerous dog. I was over at a friends house just today and she has a three year old who was doing all the things small ones do, like running about and messing with the dog, all the while her little dog was snapping and growling at her kid. I was worried not only for the dog but for the three year old who has already been bit by the dog. Definitely not a good situation for child nor dog. I know its hard but good for you for admitting that you need to do what's best for your dog and your baby and not just turning a blind eye to the problems. I hope everything turns out for the best for all of you.

Sounds like you've already decided so I agree. Skip the vet. Return the dog to the group so she can get into a home where they know how to work with these issues, which will most likely to away anyway.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest lynne893

I just want to add my support for your very difficult decision to return her to a greyhound adoption group. Someone will help you get through this.

You're doing the right thing for all involved.

Hugs to you and dear Nina,

Lynne

I'd also just like to add my support. I know this is very difficult, and I'm sorry that you're in a situation where there's not the easy answer of "just call the group" that many of us are used to. GT is a wonderful place, though. And the folks here will help you make sure your dog gets placed in a good greyhound home.

I've had 2 former fosters that had to be returned by wonderful, loving families because of major life changes that they just couldn't work the dog through. They contacted my group, who contacted me - and I took them back in. That was a great relief to those folks, I know. They both went on to be adopted by wonderful families and got through the transition just fine.

I'm very happy that you're working so hard to do the best thing for your dog and your family. That's an honorable thing. Please don't feel guilty about it - and please accept the help of those who've offered.

Any updates on this?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

If her MIL has taken the dog, I HOPE she will ask her MIL to join Greytalk, and to (at least) read the book: "Retired Racing Greyhounds For Dummies" by Lee Livingood. Greyhound owners need the benefit of specific education geared to retired racers.

Retired Racing Greyhounds For Dummies:

http://www.amazon.com/Retired-Racing-Greyhounds-For-Dummies/dp/0764552767

If original owner's children will ever be visiting their grandmother's home, additional assistance from a qualified animal behaviorist is extremely important.

Agree with Burpdog. Another highly experienced Greyhound group would accept this Greyhound, likely adopt to a highly experienced retired racer home without children, and offer ongoing support.