Help

Guest kar

this morning scotch would not eat - then vomited blood - took to my vet - then went to evet for ultrasound - e vet did bloodwork liver enzymes were up and clotting factor was off - did ultrasound nothing showed but some free fluid. scotch was a rimadyl for 5 days for his leg - they said maybe that is why clotting factor was off but they really do not know - sent him home with stomach meds and I have to bring him to my vet at 5 to see if he is anemic - because he still might be bleeding - has anyone ever had this situation? I don't know what to do. Now I have two sick dogs.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has Scotch been on Rimadyl before? Any of the NSAIDs can cause stomach issues, including bleeding. I'm surprised that the e-vet released him if they are not sure whether he is still bleeding at this time. You could call your vet to get in ASAP / sooner than 5pm given the circumstances, I hope??

I have not had this happen with Aston, but beaming tons of good thoughts. Please keep us posted :grouphug

gums are fine - not very energetic - can't understand was fine yesterday. he has had some water and his stomach pills - back to the vet at 5. I can't believe 1,000 and no definite answers.

The vet should have kept him and monitored him. Rimadyl can cause IMHA and that is very serious. Tell them to treat as if it is a side effect of the Rimadyl. The faster they are, the better his chance of surviving. If they don't believe you, tell them to read the product insert.

:nod

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Home » Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia (IMHA) BackIcon.gif TopIcon.gif BookmarkIcon.gif Dot.gifDot2.gifSearchArrow.gif | Advanced Search Dot2.gifDot.gif

WendySmall.jpgTHE PET HEALTH LIBRARY

By Wendy C. Brooks, DVM, DipABVP

Educational Director, VeterinaryPartner.com

PrintBtn.gif EmailBtn.gif

Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia (IMHA)

(Formerly known as autoimmune hemolytic anemia or AIHA)

Immune-mediated hemolytic anemia is a condition where the patient’s immune system begins attacking her own red blood cells. What occurs on a microscopic level is that the branch of the immune system that produces antibodies begins to direct them against the patient’s own red blood cells. The red blood cells quickly become coated with tiny antibody proteins, essentially marking these red blood cells for destruction. When too many red blood cells are destroyed the patient is said to be anemic and will feel cold and weak. Because the red blood cells are being destroyed internally (and not lost through bleeding), the patient will become yellow-tinged (jaundiced) rather than pale (see picture below).

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=1390

it can be caused by Rimadyl and I know because rimadyl killed my first greyhound. And yes, it could happen from one dose

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

I should have never given him the rimadyl but he had it before with no ill effects. took him back to my vet - she checked the anemia and it was unchanged. he drank a little water and ate a little wet gastro diet but does not seem himself. I had mentioned the rimadyl to the e vet and she put him on stomach meds - said other than the reduced clotting time everything else was normal. I am very worried about him.

just called e vet and she said she is not seeing that in him now

I am very worried he just does not seem himself

Best wishes.....thinking of you.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Best wishes, I would take him to a third vet if at all possible.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

thank you all for your good wishes - don't believe there are many vets near me experienced with greys. I thought I liked my vet but now am not that sure. I had to be very insistent just to be seen at 8:30 they wanted me in at 9:30. either that or their office staff needs to be educated on what constitutes an emergency situation.

Where are you in CT? My friends in Darien are very happy with their vet. If that works for you I am happy to get a referral.

Darien is not far from Fairfield. Would you like the name of the regular vet and emergency vet that carronstar and I know of in Darien, CT? Just let either of us know and we can get you the information.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

I know for sure they go to the VCA hospital on Post Road right off 95 (exit 11, US 1). I'll email them for more details. Carron, if you happen to know this info you can post here. :)

Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

no more bleeding but just does not seem right -

unfortunately there are no other e vets in the area

i will call my vet today to see if he should be checked for anemia again today

unfortunatley i am running out of money - it was 1,300 for just yesterday and I love my hounds but on one paycheck it is very hard -

Rimadyl caused bleeding in one of our hounds, but we caught it in time.

scotch had been on rimadyl before with no problems - i did notice today his urine is more yellow and not orangey. dont know if that means anything

Do you have Care Credit? It's a credit card you can use for health and dental for both humans and pets. It will allow you six months of no interest to pay off the charges. I highly suggest you apply for care credit online so that you have a bit of cushion for their vet care. :)

I sent you a PM with the vet referrals. :)

Carron, I don't mean to step on your toes. I hopes it's okay that I reached out to R + E. :)