Elevated Liver Enzymes In Galgo Beatrix

winnie

We took our galga Beatrix in for a routine exam a couple of weeks ago. Our vet took a blood sample and noted that her liver enzyme values were high. She retested on Monday and they actually went up more. I turning to the power of GT to help make sense of what this means, what is "normal" and whether or not we should be concerned, etc. Our vet wants us to bring Beatrix back in this weekend.

Test
Catalyst_Dx 02-17-14 1:01p
ALT
Result - 400
Flag - H
Normal Range:
Low - 10
High - 100
Measure
U/L

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Henry's are in the "higher" range, but it's never really been bad enough to medicate. Did the vet seem worried about it? Your next step would be a bile acid test, but unless she's showing other symptoms, I wouldn't be too concerned. You could try a liver support supplement like Denosyl or Denamarin. Neither of them are cheap, though.

Henry's are in the "higher" range, but it's never really been bad enough to medicate. Did the vet seem worried about it? Your next step would be a bile acid test, but unless she's showing other symptoms, I wouldn't be too concerned. You could try a liver support supplement like Denosyl or Denamarin. Neither of them are cheap, though.

No other symptoms. Beatrix acts perfectly normal. Vet only did blood work before giving meds for a muscle strain two weeks ago (now gone). Vet did seem "concerned" though enough to want to see her again. We have an appointment for Sunday. I've never dealt with liver issues in dogs before, so I'm trying to educate myself beforehand.

Maybe some others will chime in, but I want to say that unless they're really high (like three times the normal reference range), it's not anything to worry about. We did a bile acid test for Henry, but only because he was having seizures at the time. I wanted to be sure his seizures weren't connected to liver disease.

Thats moderately high. I wouldn't ignore it and would see the vet. Is that the only liver function test they have done? Others would include AST, GGT, bilrubin, alk phos. Is she on any medications? Some can cause liver inflammation. If she is on any herbal supplements, make sure you know what they are when you go in also.

Good luck!

siggy2.jpg

My kitty is on Denamarin - her ALT was 642! One month on Denamarin and she is back in normal range. We are going to continue it - she takes methimazole for hyperthyroidism and she is an older kitty. It is certainly not hurting her :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Original visit on 2/3 was concerning a muscle strain - no other concerns - but vet ran a quick blood screening before prescribing meds. Liver enzymes were elevated (I don't know the #). Vet put Beatrix on Tramadol for the strain. Beatrix isn't on any other meds. Only supplement is Flex 2500 for joints.

ETA - Vet wasn't particularly concerned about 2/3 test results. She said that broodies tend to have elevated levels. Beatrix is 7 y/o. The only thing we know for sure about her life in Spain was that she had puppies - probably lots of them.

Vet wanted to do a follow-up on 2/17 to check both muscle strain and liver. These are the results from the 2/17 test which vet said were even higher than the 2/3 results. Beatrix had finished the Tramadol several days beforehand. We did not fast before the second CBC was done. In fact, she had breakfast a few hours beforehand. The 2/17 test results were sent to an outside lab. Vet got them back on 2/19 and called us to let us know she was "concerned" and wanted to see her again.

Next appointment is scheduled for Sunday. Just trying to educate myself a bit beforehand. Thanks to all of you responding!

Edited by winnie

I pulled out Beatrix's test results from 10/14/13 - right before she was shipped from Spain. Her ALT then was 84. So, this is definitely a new issue. :-(

I don't have any advice, but wanted to add my good thoughts for your sweet girl. :goodluck

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Beatrix is at the vet now. X-ray showed that she has a smaller than "normal" liver. Vet is doing more blood work and bile acid test. We'll be picking her up in about an hour. Stay tuned.

Wow that's interesting. I've heard of larger than normal liver but not a smaller than normal liver.

Hope your sweet girl is feeling okay :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest LazyBlaze

Fingers crossed for Beatrix. Let us know how you get on. Our 14-year-old terrier last week had an ALT value come back at 332, so like you we will be doing further tests, starting with the starved and after food bloods on Wednesday, then probably an ultrasound. From the reading I've done so far I'm hoping that a supplement of SAM-e and milk thistle (as per Denamarin or the likes) might help - that was our vet's first suggestion, but we will wait until we have more information after the next round of tests.

Hopefully this is just a temporary spike for Beatrix, and is something that can be easily treated.

It's going to take a few days to get the results. Vet did a super chemistry, bile acid test and is also checking for Leptospirosis.

UPDATE (and it's GOOD news!)

Most recent test had Beatrix's ALT value drop from 400 to 239. All other liver enzymes are in the normal range. Bile acid test came back normal too. Still waiting on results from Leptospirosis test. Vet is putting Beatrix on Denamarin. We'll retest in three weeks.

UPDATE (and it's GOOD news!)

Most recent test had Beatrix's ALT value drop from 400 to 239. All other liver enzymes are in the normal range. Bile acid test came back normal too. Still waiting on results from Leptospirosis test. Vet is putting Beatrix on Denamarin. We'll retest in three weeks.

Denamarin is good stuff. Be sure to follow the Vet's instructions for administering it. :)

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Great update!

Just wondering, was your girl tested for Mediterranean diseases? I knew a family whose galgo had leptospirosis, but it was dormant for a very long time (years, if I'm remembering correctly). I know lepto can have an effect on the liver, specifically bilirubin. It may be worth researching or at least having a conversation with the vet.

Edited by a_daerr

Guest LazyBlaze

That is great news - go Beatrix! I wonder what might've caused the spike? You will probably never know. That's a very significant drop though, and the bile acid test results are really positive. Denamarin ought to help further.

My terrier is awaiting his bile acid and lepto results right now (had the pre and post-prandial blood tests done yesterday), so we are just hoping for the best. He is an old boy, so we'll just take things as they come and do whatever we can for him.

Delighted for Beatrix, you must be relieved that things are headed in the right direction.

Great update!

Just wondering, was your girl tested for Mediterranean diseases? I knew a family whose galgo had leptospirosis, but it was dormant for a very long time (years, if I'm remembering correctly). I know lepto can have an effect on the liver, specifically bilirubin. It may be worth researching or at least having a conversation with the vet.

Yep. She was fully vetted and tested for the Mediterranean diseases on 10/14/13 before coming to the US. Our vet did test for lepto - still waiting on those results from Cornell.

My terrier is awaiting his bile acid and lepto results right now (had the pre and post-prandial blood tests done yesterday), so we are just hoping for the best. He is an old boy, so we'll just take things as they come and do whatever we can for him.

Jingles for your terrier!

Yep. She was fully vetted and tested for the Mediterranean diseases on 10/14/13 before coming to the US. Our vet did test for lepto - still waiting on those results from Cornell.

You may want to consider talking to the vet about whether it is worth re-doing the tests for Mediterranean diseases - It could be she was exposed but, too early to get titers or maybe exposed after the tests.