Recently Boarded, Now Depressed? Any Ideas? Help!

Guest joviemom

Guest joviemom

I boarded Jovie last weekend on medical board (had to go out of town unexpectedly for work). Got a recommendation from my vet for another vet clinic in the area that I had never been to that offered medical board.

She had a toe amp about 2 weeks ago and previously go going into boarding she was walking around pretty well and seemed to be in pretty good spirits.

After picking her up from boarding it seems like she has regressed. She almost immediately pooped on the floor when I brought her home (I think she just needed to go, but still strange for her to do this). And has seemed “off” since I brought her home.

She had her stitches taken out on Wednesday and has been not using her foot really at all since we took the stitches out, which I think could be just due to her foot being really sore after taking them out.

I am going to talk to the vet about her not using her foot, but have you guys ever seen this happen with a grey after boarding?

I have boarded her before and she did great! Happy tail when I brought her home, no weight loss, seemed like she didn’t mind it at all.

This time though she still doesn’t seem like herself, she has had squishy poo since she has been home, she has been semi “off” her food and she overall just seems depressed.

Ideas? Has this happened to any of you? Anything I should be doing to help my little girl out?

Hoping it turns out to be nothing to worry about and Jovie will be back to herself soon.

If you were closer and she is cat friendly she'd be welcome to stay with us anytime! I always prefer to watch someone's dog for them than for them to be boarded. I know sometimes it's the only option people have though. I used to work at a boarding kennel and the few greyhounds we boarded did not deal with the environment very well.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest Giselle

Pain can cause depression and suppressed appetite. Who wants to eat when they're in excruciating pain? Phantom pain is a major concern of mine when it comes to amputees, and 2 weeks is hardly enough time for full healing. I'd be worried about any problems relating to her toe amputation... Good luck to you! Poor baby! Hopefully, they'll find some ways to alleviate her discomfort.

Guest joviemom

Just got back from the vet. They said the toe amp is healing really well and everything looks great with it. They decided to remove her bandage and leave it off because it does look like its causing some irritation and they feel like the bandage was causing more pain than doing good, she wants the wound to get some air anyways.

It does actually look pretty good, better than I thought it would look!

They did a laser treatment and a hydro treatment while I was there. Poor thing has to wear a cone of shame though for the next few weeks (she wont lick with a bandage on but will without it).

She thinks the appetite is due to being in pain more than anything so we bumped up the tramadol and she wants me to feed warm wet food for now (she was down three pounds since Wednesday).

She is completely pathetic with the cone on though, it makes me feel bad for her!

ETA - As far as boarding, I totally agree. I always try to have someone house sit or have her stay with someone else.

Issue I have is I do not know any greyhound people in Milwaukee yet, so I dont have anyone that she could stay with. And I do not know of anyone that could house sit yet.

Glad to see she had a good check at the vet's. I hope she will be feeling better soon. I will always think of her soliciting everyone for belly rubs at the Fun Run :). Get better soon Jovie :dogcookie

You know she can wear a muzzle with a stool guard (or duct tape over the end holes that she could lick through) much more comfortably than a cone of shame, right? It will work just as well. Really little need for a greyhound ever to wear a cone.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

You know she can wear a muzzle with a stool guard (or duct tape over the end holes that she could lick through) much more comfortably than a cone of shame, right? It will work just as well. Really little need for a greyhound ever to wear a cone.

That's worked very well here for one hound who worries any little wound that's exposed. It didn't work as well with a different hound who simply used the muzzle to rub & rub at the spot. I'll always try the muzzle first & then switch to the cone if the muzzle doesn't offer adequate protection. Good luck.

Guest joviemom

Thats Jovie's problem, she rubs the muzzle. When she first hurt her foot I used a muzzle with her stool gaurd and she made her foot bleed with her rubbing.

I have a stool gaurd for her because she does the unthinkable (lol) but she takes the muzzle and rubs on her wound. With how raw her foot his right now she would cause a lot of damage with the end of her muzzle.

Guest joviemom

Update on my girl,

after taking the bandage off, upping her meds, and doing hydro twice a day she seems so much better!

I am giving 50/50 wet food and she is chowing down her food, wagging her tail, and seems to be back to her normal selt

She is starting to use the foot a little bit more now, but its looking so much better with each day!

Even if she has to wear the cone of shame :(

995003_10101614301109739_2050785790_n.jp

But when I am home, and can watch her like a hawk she doesnt have to wear it and is MUCH happier

(you can see her little footie here)

1503293_10101615401903739_333571693_n.jp

Can you borrow a bite not collar? They're like a really stiff plastic turtleneck and she might tolerate it better than the cone.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.