Long Time Sniffer, First Tine Eater

Bella started eating a poopsicle for the first time ever :puke. No changes to her diet (other than some extra treats), routine, etc. Why the sudden start - because she could for the first time?

Eta - she had a split-open elk antler for the first time and I thought she was going to turn herself inside out with excitement. I wonder if it was this that was so tasty she wanted to experience it again? Ugh. Yes, I know its a dog thing but still, yuck.

Edited by sarabz

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Gracie was my only one to eat poop. Blech! At least she didn't do it all the time. We found that adding pineapple juice instead of water to her kibble made the poop less tasty.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Lol! Payton will partake in a kitty litter buffet if given the chance. Every once in a while, he will eat poop out of the yard. I make sure to clean it up every day or two, but he still finds it sometimes. I have no idea why, but he seems to so it more when he is hungry, especially when I am adjusting his food.

61bd4941-fc71-4135-88ca-2d22dbd4b59a_zps

Payton, The Greyhound (Palm City Pelton) and Toby, The Lab
Annabella and Julietta, The Cats
At the Bridge - Abby, The GSD

Well, thanks, all, I think :D At least the stories are making me laugh!!

When I googled "suddenly eating poop" up popped all of these warnings about getting your dog to the vet to check for deficiencies. Considering that nothing has changed and she just had a checkup a few weeks ago I wasn't inclined to do that immediately.

Beth has done it forever and with any food. Considering her great overall health and wonderful coat everyone comments on I highly doubt it's medical in any way. And she's on a fixed formula food.

It is the time of the hard freeze that makes poopsicles perfect. Beth's focus on them has increased in the past two weeks.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

• 4 weeks later...

Some does just do it. It's the dirty family secret. Some dogs do it all the time - some never - some at specific times (frozen only) - some at weird random intervals. I've given up trying to figure out "why". I definitely don't think there's a nutritional reason.

I try to curb it when possible - because it's gross. Other than that - my poo-eater - is living a long, happy life. I just try to to think too much about it.

I meant to come back and say that it turns out that a very brave (or very foolish!) rabbit lives somewhere in the neighborhood and has been pooping in our backyard. So, bunny poop, not her own, was the snack of choice. Somewhat better... :P

Guest dragontearz

I meant to come back and say that it turns out that a very brave (or very foolish!) rabbit lives somewhere in the neighborhood and has been pooping in our backyard. So, bunny poop, not her own, was the snack of choice. Somewhat better... :P

Ah, Nature's M&Ms!