Growling Is Good

Very nice, concise article on why growling is actually a good thing, and how we should react when our dogs do growl
http://wildewmn.wordpress.com/2013/10/22/why-growling-is-good/

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Interesting article.

I wonder how to interpret Peggy's behaviour on her afternoon walk in the park:

Peggy's leashed and walking towards the entrance of a field, an unleashed dog comes out of the gap and stops dead still looking uncertain. No calming signals like licking, looking away, nor doing displacement activity like sniffing the ground. Just standing.

Peggy growls deeply and I tell her not to. She growls again and i start to walk us in a curve about 20 yards from the other dog. She still growls only deeper. The other dog finally decides to run away showing signs of submission.

So what was all that about? Did Peggy growl because she sensed the other dog was weak in some way or just not behaving right?

Peggy shows respect to obvious alpha dogs too.

Ugh, I always wonder if one of Rudy's previous homes disciplined him for growling, because he just seems to be so quiet but then explode when something stresses or hurts him. A good article to share.

So are there times when growling is not appropriate? Like when I am trying to trim his nails?

I always just tell him "it's okay" if he growls and he usually calms down. Except for the nails...

61bd4941-fc71-4135-88ca-2d22dbd4b59a_zps

Payton, The Greyhound (Palm City Pelton) and Toby, The Lab
Annabella and Julietta, The Cats
At the Bridge - Abby, The GSD

Dog owners around here seem to be very knowlegable. They are always supportive of Hester when he growls at their dogs for getting a little too friendly. Not had one complaint. I still appologize for him sometimes - can't help myself. Now that I think of it I don't ever recall other dogs every growling at Hester (except for the little crazy ones).

So are there times when growling is not appropriate? Like when I am trying to trim his nails?

I always just tell him "it's okay" if he growls and he usually calms down. Except for the nails...

I don't want my dog to growl at me when I trim his nails, not because it's inappropriate but because it indicates that he's not comfortable with what I'm doing, and perhaps more importantly I don't want my dog to associate me with something aversive. However, the solution isn't to correct your dog for growling, it's to change his feelings about nail trimming through counter-conditioning.

It may take a little time, but the process is simple. Clip a nail, give high value treats, go on to other activities. The next day, clip the next nail, give high value treats, go on to other activities. Do this every day until you've made your way through all nails on all feet. By then it will be time to clip the old ones again so this time, clip 2 nails, give high value treats, go on about your business. The next day, clip two more...I think you get my point. Eventually you should be able to get through a whole paw before you pause to give some treats. Alternatively, if you have help, just stuff a kong with something really delicious and have him work on that (your partner can hold it for him) while you work through a paw, then put the kong and the clippers away and do another paw later. Eventually, if you do this slowly, you will have a dog who gets excited when the clippers come out.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I look at growling as doing us a favor. The dog is warning us that whatever we're doing is about to lead to serious hurt and giving us a chance to prevent it. The alternative is no warning at all and going straight to the bite.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

I completely agree with NeylasMom's comments about why growling for nail trims is not desirable, but also not inappropriate. Thinking about it, I really can't think of any situations where I would consider growling to not be appropriate. It is simply a form of communication, and I believe that dogs have a right to communicate their wants and needs to us. We may not be able to always accommodate them, but instead of looking at the communication/growl itself as inappropriate, it's usually the situation and interaction that needs to be changed.

For example, some people might say that it's not appropriate for a dog to get on the bed or couch and then growl at you when you approach or try to move them off. But, IMO, it's not the growl that's the problem. It's just a sign that the dog is not ready for furniture privileges, and/or needs to be taught to get off the furniture when asked using positive reinforcement.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest Wasserbuffel

Like the others said, it's best to condition the dog to be comfortable with nail trimming using treats. Mine is completely OK with me doing her nails, but she'll growl and curl her lips at me if I'm getting too close to the quick on her darker nails. It doesn't happen often, but she never has to escalate because I listen and immediately stop the trimming when she lets me know that I'm hurting her.

• 4 weeks later...

I've said to people many times "good dogs growl". I try to teach children visiting my home that ANY time ANY dog speaks to them - a.k.a growls - they NEED to listen. Dogs don't speak English - and they have many ways of communicating - but one of their most-easily recognized (by humans) means of communication is growling. It's very foolish to ignore a growl.

Dog owners around here seem to be very knowlegable. They are always supportive of Hester when he growls at their dogs for getting a little too friendly. Not had one complaint. I still appologize for him sometimes - can't help myself. Now that I think of it I don't ever recall other dogs every growling at Hester (except for the little crazy ones).

I understand apologizing - it's just being polite to the other human - even though the dog did nothing wrong. But good dog owners know that if their dog got growled at - it needs to back off.

Hester probably never gets growled at because Hester probably doesn't act inappropriately to other dogs.

Edited by sobesmom

I wouldn't consider that growling inappropriate. He's telling you - he's not comfortable with this. Hear him - and decide how to proceed. Either stop - or decide you can work through it - calming him - and get through it - good for you. Never scold him for growling. Acknowledge it - and choose how to proceed.

It's like something you don't like - getting a filling at the dentist, You might yell "ouch" when getting a filling. (Your "growl"). The dentist notes that you are uncomfortable - then decides to proceed - give you a break - do something differently - or stop all together. It's ok for you to say "ouch"!. But you then expect the dentist to acknowledge what you said - and decide how to proceed. If he just drills away without acknowledging your discomfort - bite him!

"growling is meant to avert aggression, not cause it"

If only everyone was so wise...

:nod

Interesting article.

I wonder how to interpret Peggy's behaviour on her afternoon walk in the park:

Peggy's leashed and walking towards the entrance of a field, an unleashed dog comes out of the gap and stops dead still looking uncertain. No calming signals like licking, looking away, nor doing displacement activity like sniffing the ground. Just standing.

Peggy growls deeply and I tell her not to. She growls again and i start to walk us in a curve about 20 yards from the other dog. She still growls only deeper. The other dog finally decides to run away showing signs of submission.

So what was all that about? Did Peggy growl because she sensed the other dog was weak in some way or just not behaving right?

Peggy shows respect to obvious alpha dogs too.

I would say that she was uncertain as to the other dog's intentions, and a bit fearful. In that situation I would not tell her off, but tell her 'It's OK' with a touch on the shoulder (our cue for 'I've got this covered, you can relax'). And then do what you did and take her in a wide circle. :)

I don't want my dog to growl at me when I trim his nails, not because it's inappropriate but because it indicates that he's not comfortable with what I'm doing, and perhaps more importantly I don't want my dog to associate me with something aversive. However, the solution isn't to correct your dog for growling, it's to change his feelings about nail trimming through counter-conditioning.

It may take a little time, but the process is simple. Clip a nail, give high value treats, go on to other activities. The next day, clip the next nail, give high value treats, go on to other activities. Do this every day until you've made your way through all nails on all feet. By then it will be time to clip the old ones again so this time, clip 2 nails, give high value treats, go on about your business. The next day, clip two more...I think you get my point. Eventually you should be able to get through a whole paw before you pause to give some treats. Alternatively, if you have help, just stuff a kong with something really delicious and have him work on that (your partner can hold it for him) while you work through a paw, then put the kong and the clippers away and do another paw later. Eventually, if you do this slowly, you will have a dog who gets excited when the clippers come out.

We did this with Jeffie. When he first came he would growl at me when I tried to look in his mouth, or even so much as touch a foot. I worked on that with soothing touch and treats, and also on earning his trust generally, at the same time making sure not to push him past his comfort zone. In time he stopped growling and pretty much lets me do what I need to do.

However, he is still not comfortable with his feet being handled, so I never push him. I do one foot (or even one nail on a 'bad' day) and let him go when he yips and jumps. He's trying very hard, bless him, but he's always going to be twitchy - about his feet and about so many, many other things!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I actually posted this article on fb and tagged people from the group I got my dogs because they've started advocating dominance theory dog training. (I've tried educating them by sending them tons of sources, but they won't listen and I now don't associate with them because of it.) the adoption coordinator, who takes in the dogs with aggression issues to work with, flipped out saying that all dogs should be disciplined for growling. She then deleted her post and said good article, but I doubt it got through to her. It is so aggravating dealing with people.

Bella growled at someone tonight for the first time ever. I took that as a serious warning and didn't think for a moment about correcting her because that was the only way she had to communicate that something was wrong. Growling IS good!!

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20