Heart Breaking Decision

Guest Amis_Ma

Guest grey_dreams

Amis mom, please don't let the group take the dog until we find out if we can help. There are several people trying different avenues, there is hope.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a travesty. After some thought I hope they just told the OP that to make her feel worse. That would be a nasty, horrible thing to do, but just a shade less horrible than actually euthanising the dog. Either way, this is a group to avoid. They should be ashamed.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Apalling. This is not how it's supposed to wortk out in rehoming.

If i could have sent Ami's Mom a message i would have sent something like this:

I was following your thread and hoping for a different outcome for you and your dog. Sadly, once insecurities begin to set in they tend to produce a cascade of unintended consequeneces which lead to new people getting involved and making choices which they would not normally make so soon.
Your Greyhound rescue group clearly wouldn't win any awards for customer service, and I suspect they got into a state of unhelpfulness out of watching their backs against criticism.
It may be that your poor dog had untreatable physical problems with her brain, it may have been purely pyschological, but whatever it was that group let you down. They should have taken the dog back to be fostered by an experienced handler and not left you feeling that you had been in some way inagequate for not being able to handle a fear-biter or resource-reactive dog.

Now I do know how this feels having had to return one over aggressiveness to tiny little dogs. It was only about six weeks after my lovely previous dog had died too, so it was kind of like a second bereavement. The dog got a new home within a week and I never heard of any further problems. Maybe they didn't have any little dogs where they needed to walk.

So, you're going into an acutely difficult breavement period now and I want you to try to take any assumption of self-guilt out of the equation. Even the so-called experts couldn't make it work.

Returning for reasons of unforseen aggressiveness is actually as rare as finding hens with teeth. So I think you both could and will need to try again another day. Indeed, what better way to honour your poor dog than one day to give her place to another Greyhound who has been fostered and correctly-assessed.

My Peggy is bone-aggresssive and the answer is not to give bones, but I can take anything else away and hold the food bowl while she eats.

Also I remember on our neighbouring farm there was a Border Collie which everyone called "Mustn't Touch!". It was just a hair-trigger reactive dog if anyone other than it's owner tried to touch it. All dogs are different.

Anway... I'd like you to read the little article in the link about how dogs use Calming Signals. You can then study dogs you encounter and predict how they might react more easily.

http://diamondsintheruff.com/calmingsignals.html

It may just help give you the confidence that with not even a tenth of the time and effort you have already applied trying to save a dog that needed to be returned, you can have a happy dog in a happy home. Our hearts are always big enough to make space for the next one and it is always worth giving it your best shot when you're ready.

Take care.

JohnF in England

This was not what I wanted to read first thing this morning :(. I cannot put into words what I would like to say to this adoption group. Being euthanized should be the absolutely last option after every thing else has been ruled out, but all of us except for this group knows that already.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

Guest Bakerhounds

I am furious with all of you. Don't you get it - when people post in distress on a public forum they are looking (begging) for permission to give back the dog. Support them in that decision. Every day that the dog remains with one of these people makes it worse for the dog. Crazy ass trainers, poor dog, poor discouraged owners. This dog has a welcome home back at her original racing kennel. Make sure she gets back there and away from this mess.

Edited by Bakerhounds

A trainer coming into your house for 1 day, especially if not greyhound savy will not make a difference. I show my greys in obedience and train....and know! There are others willing to take her back asap! Please allow this dog to be assisted with whatever issues it may have. Do not think of euthanasia....there are other outlets. A brain tumor? I think behavior that needs to be worked with, definitely...but unless you show me mri evidence I doubt that this girl has a tumor. Please message me before a huge mistake is made. I will contact people who will pick her up from you.

Edited by Spotsylott

Guest DeniseL

I am furious with all of you. Don't you get it - when people post in distress on a public forum they are looking (begging) for permission to give back the dog. Support them in that decision. Every day that the dog remains with one of these people makes it worse for the dog. Crazy ass trainers, poor dog, poor discouraged owners. This dog has a welcome home back at her original racing kennel. Make sure she gets back there and away from this mess.

A trainer coming into your house for 1 day, especially if not greyhound savy will not make a difference. If your adoption group will not help, there are others willing to take her back asap! Please allow this dog to be assisted with whatever issues it may have. Do not think of euthanasia....there are other outlets. Please message me before you make a huge mistake and I will contact people who will pick her up from you.

The OP already returned the dog. The adoption group is now going to kill it for a suspected "brain tumor." Poor innocent baby might be gone already :(

The adoption group failed the OP and, perhaps even worse, they failed her dog! I am shocked to hear about this supposed 'diagnosis' of a brain tumour, and heartbroken for Ami's Mom.

Does anyone know this group and if Ami is even still alive?

Guest grey_dreams

A trainer coming into your house for 1 day, especially if not greyhound savy will not make a difference. I show my greys in obedience and train....and know! There are others willing to take her back asap! Please allow this dog to be assisted with whatever issues it may have. Do not think of euthanasia....there are other outlets. A brain tumor? I think behavior that needs to be worked with, definitely...but unless you show me mri evidence I doubt that this girl has a tumor. Please message me before a huge mistake is made. I will contact people who will pick her up from you.

Hi Patty, sent you a message. Please check your messenger :)

A number of Canadian GT'ers are working on connecting with the adoption group to see if we can help.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Edited to retract my original comments since on page 8 there has been a good update.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

******UPDATE******

I just got off the phone with the adoption group. Ami is safe and is in no danger of being euthanized.

The group did get her back last night. Ami has showed no signs of any of the behavior reported, and was happily wagging her tail in the background while I was on the phone. The foster mom is a certified pawsitive dog trainer and has not seen anything of concern yet.

The group is totally committed to the dogs in their care and if needed, Ami would get any necessary diagnostics and treatment before euthanization was ever considered. I did let them know that GT'ers were willing to contribute if needed.

As is so often the case, there really are two sides to this story. I hope everyone feels more at ease knowing Ami is okay. I will keep in touch with them.

Deb

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

I'm so shocked and horrified, I don't even know what to say. I really hope the board members who are reaching out will be able to save her.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Just in case this was missed there is an UPDATE at the bottom of page 7

Ami is in no danger of being euthanized. She is being cared for in a foster home and is happily settling in.

Deb, and da Croo

Guest DeniseL

Thank god! Thank you to everyone who checked on her! Now.....i wonder why the op thought she was being pts? Strange. Yes, there are really two sides to every story.

Thank goodness for this news. Thank you to all who were involved in checking on Ami. My best to the OP who has faced this monumental decision about a dog she clearly loved. This has been a difficult situation.

Edited by Fiona3

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Thank Deb and any others who checked further into Ami's situation.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Amis_Ma

PLEASE READ

Ami is in good hands right now and being further evaluated. This is getting out of hand, I never once named the adoption group for this exact reason. The group itself has a great reputation and it needs to remain that way as they rescue hundreds and hundreds of hounds; these hounds NEED this group.

I never meant for this to happen. Please stop contacting and talking bad about the group..PLEASE.

It was a heart wrenching decision to return Ami but I am now informed that she will be undergoing further evaluation and from there the decision to rehome her will be made.

I feel terrible that the group is being put under the microscope based on what I said. I should've known better than to post my hurt on the internet and for that I do apologize,

I apologize to everyone involved especially the group. I let my hurt take over and should've waited until some healing took place before posting.

Again PLEASE stop harrasing the group as they did nothing wrong. It became a big misunderstanding.

Sorry.