Dew Claw Removal & Pet Insurance

Mazy has been with us a little over a month now. She's learning to play with toys and run zoomies in the yard.

I noticed some bloody nicks/cuts on her rear legs near the hock on the inner side after each run (3 total) in the last week. Same exact place every time.I clean her up and apply triple antibiotic ointment.

Her nails are trimmed and rounded with a dremel. One dew claw does stick out a little bit. Not trauma, just the way she came to us.

I walked her entire running path and could not find anything that could have cut her.

I seriously think she is cutting herself with her dew claws as she runs. After all the greyhounds we've had here none have cut themselves while running.

How horrible would dew claw removal surgery be at her age of 2.5?

Would Healthy Paws consider this an injury worthy of coverage?

Would my vet have to document multiple visits after fresh cuts?

Mazy doesn't run every day, just when the little voice in her head tells her to.

Short of ordering a case of vet wrap and keeping her wrapped just in case she runs, what else could I do? I don't want these cuts to become infected.

Running slowly with a friend:

037_zps0122b804.jpg

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'm not sure she could cut her inner hind legs with her front dew claws. When they run the hind legs come to the outside of the front legs. Unless she is nicking the opposite hind leg, but that shouldn't happen unless her conformation or mechanics are off. We could take a close up video of her zooming by and put it in slow motion!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest Clawsandpaws

From my understanding of the insurance policy, they would only cover the dew claw removal if it was part of a surgery related to an accident, such as she gets it partially torn. You should call them and explain clearly, as technically a dew claw removal is not covered.

Dew claw removal is a surgical procedure, so you would have similar risks to other types of surgeries. My boy had a tail amp, and I would personally not want to put him through something like that again unless it was medically necessary. That being said, I am always worried that he will rip his dew claws off, so I can see where you are coming from!

My first greyhound tore his dewclaws numerous times and my vet suggested removing them. This was before I had internet and I had no clue what I agreed to. It was a very painful surgery - basically it was a double amputation. :( He was in a lot of pain and had a long recovery period. I wouldn't do it again.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Ducky, George has HUGE dewclaws that stick out like thumbs. He ran for three years at Raynham, and has no scars indicating they were ever a problem.

It's a painful surgery, and one wrap of vet wrap on each "wrist" could fix the problem. If in fact it is her dewclaws!

Here's a picture that shows pretty well how much they stick out! I Dremel him every Sunday.

Dec20Snowstorm7.jpg

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I really don't want to do any surgery. Mazy has one dew clue sticking out, similar to George's. She just came in from running. The only scrape is on the left rear /ankle/hockfoot/same place as last time. The dew claw that sticks out is also on the left side.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I wouldn't do surgery if it was my grey. They like their 'thumbs' - at least I feel they do. Mine hold their yogurt cups with their 'thumbs'. :) I would do what others suggested and just wrap the dew claws in vet wrap. That stuff comes in lots of beautiful colors and she will look very fashionable. This way you can also see if it helps with the nicks/cuts. Just keep dremeling the nail to keep it short. I wonder if she nicked herself the same way when she raced.

My little female always has nicks and cuts - and they are not due to dew claws! I just clean them up, put a little neosporin on them and that always takes care of it.

I would maybe vet wrap for a few weeks to first see if it is, in fact, her dew claws. If it is, go from there. But at least you'll know. :)

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)