Food Salt Content An Peeing Accidents

mom2four

This topic is just an observation we've had in hopes it might help someone else. I don't know if there has been a topic about this already.

Our Ambi has continuing peeing accidents indoors. If he has to go out he needs out RIGHT NOW otherwise there's an accident. He can not go more than 5 hours during the night and usually wakes us up to let him out. The evening routine was to let him out at 6, 8, 10 and midnight to try to empty him out.

He has had many tests, it's not a UTI, or anything like that, we had decided it was behavioral, until his recent annual exam. Sitting in the waiting room it all of a sudden it popped into my head that maybe the salt content of his kibbles might have something to do with it. I mentioned it to the vet and we decided to check into it.

Sure enough his kibbles had SALT listed as one of the top 10 ingredients! So in the last week we have changed his food. This long weekend we got to sleep in! He did not wake us up at 5 AM - we had to push him out the door at 7 AM- and there have been no accidents. It's in the early days, but I feel that the salt content of his kibbles was the culprit to the peeing accidents!

Tin

Edited by mom2four

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

:dunno We have three different foods here and while salt is in tenth to twelfth place it is just ahead of the minerals and vitamins.

What ever works for you. I will say be careful about going overboard as my sister almost died from cutting all salt out of her diet.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

It probably had nothing to do with salt content. It is more likely that it is one of the other ingredients that was changed that is causing the problem. Nadir has numerous food sensitivities that cause urinary problems like Ambi has been experiencing. What food was he eating and what did you change to?

Could well be the salt content altho it could be something else. I've had more than one dog who seemed to have trouble with the amount of salt in most commercial foods. Glad the change is working for your pup!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I saw the same thing with salt in peanut butter and frequency of peeing ( outside, no accidents). Organic PB without salt has eliminated that issue and it does not seem that she needs to pee as often or as much!

This is exactly the reason why the salt content of the food came to mind. When Angel Jamey had his amputation we were feeding Life saving meatballs with regular PB. He peed so much. I changed it to unsalted PB and the peeing stopped.

We are seeing the same thing with Ambi's food change, which we are of course happy about.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

What food did you switch him to?

First Mate Chicken and Blueberries (+ potatoes) - a Canadian Brand. Our others get First Mate Ocean Fish and Potato. Ambi was on Nutros Grain free Venison.

I get the First Mate from Global Pets. It's also available at Fairplay and in High River, the pet store is just open again after the flooding.

Edited by mom2four