Florida And Fleas Help

Guest BrindleLuv

Guest BrindleLuv

I'm originally from Pennsylvania so I've never had a problem with fleas. I remember my family having an outdoor dog and cats and they never had fleas. So I was woefully unprepared for Floridian fleas. A month ago I took my grey to the vet because he was very itchy and losing some of his hair.
I had him on Frontline so I thought it was allergies, a thyroid problem, or worst case mange. I found instead he had fleas and the itchy red spots with hair loss were from flea bites, not a full blown infestation but fleas none the less.

My vet recommended treating everything in my apartment, switching to Comfortis, and spraying my grey with Adams or some other repellent every time I went outside. I washed everything, treated my apartment, switch preventatives, and used a flea repellent. (I had to stop using the repellent because for all my efforts I got a dog with dry skin and a rash on my hands.) Today I noticed my dog was missing a patch of hair and when I looked closer I found not only small red bumps but some fleas having a party.

So my question is to anyone who lives or has lived in Florida: What is the best way to prevent fleas? Has anyone had success with an all natural flea repellent?

Guest BrindleLuv

What repellent are you using? I tried Adam's but as I said if I touch him where I've applied it I get a rash. I'm assuming he is picking them up at the dog park or in the sand/grassy part of our walk. I don't think he is getting them in my apartment complex because they treat the grass, though I may be wrong about that.

I am sorry that you are having this problem! I have heard of people using California Baby products on their greyhounds with pretty good results.

http://www.californiababy.com/bugspray.html

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

What repellent are you using? I tried Adam's but as I said if I touch him where I've applied it I get a rash. I'm assuming he is picking them up at the dog park or in the sand/grassy part of our walk. I don't think he is getting them in my apartment complex because they treat the grass, though I may be wrong about that.

I use Adams, but wash my hands after rubbing it dogs.

Guest Clawsandpaws

I'm in the Miami area, frontline does NOT work down here! I have been having luck with advantage/advantix. I live in a city, so most of the "greenery" is already treated with flea stuff. If you have a yard, I would start having it treated for fleas/ticks

Guest BrindleLuv

I was washing my hands but I was having a reaction from the residue. I couldn't go running to the shower everything I gave my dog a pat or he brushed against my leg.

I'm in the Miami area, frontline does NOT work down here! I have been having luck with advantage/advantix. I live in a city, so most of the "greenery" is already treated with flea stuff. If you have a yard, I would start having it treated for fleas/ticks

I wish I had control over the grass treatment :( but I'm a renter. My apartment complex does treat the grass but only once and awhile.

Edited by BrindleLuv

My Lucy is a seizure dog and is sensitive to pretty much everything. I have stopped using flea products on the dogs and in the house because of her. I even had to stop using most cleaners. What I have started to do is use Vinegar diluted with water for cleaning. I've also decided that if the dogs gets fleas, they will get a dilute vinegar treatment. I haven't used it yet ...

This is a link to some information ... again, I haven't used it yet on the dogs ..

http://holisticremediesnews.com/403/vinegar-for-flea-control-apple-cider-or-white/

Note of caution - they may smell like salad dressing :ohno

Edited by MaryJane

Have you tried cap star?

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Your first infestation was a month ago, so now is about the right time for the second infestation. You likely killed the adult fleas then, but their eggs have started hatching a new generation of them. (I know... Ick. But after you get this under control, the regular maintainence is pretty easy.)

I have been in Florida for 35 years. Here's what I'd do...

1. Get Capstar. You can get it at Petco, etc... Not cheap, but worth it. Give one to your Greyhound. Any fleas he has on him will die and fall off of him within an hour. Capstar is good for only 24 hours. But it gives you a great head start on getting everything else done.

2. Bathe your Greyhound. A mild pet shampoo is fine, and it will make him feel better. You won't want to load him up with unnecessary chemicals. (Dawn dish washing detergent works on this first bath too, but I would only use it on a dog that has been covered with fleas for a long time.)

3. Wash. Everything.

4. Inspect dog regularly with a flea comb. If you find any lone ranger fleas, pluck and kill them. Keep looking for more.

5. Currently, I use Frontline Plus (kills fleas, flea eggs, ticks, and chewing lice), once-a-month drops. I get them from my vet, and I would apply a treatment to my dogs now. This should keep fleas off your dog for a month.

6. A cycle of fleas usually brings a cycle of tape worms about 4 weeks later. Ick. No biggie, though, just get a stool sample to the vet to confirm the type of worm, and get a prescription to get rid of them. http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/tapeworm-infection-in-dogs/949

I don't use a spray-on treatment like Adam's on my dogs. If you do all of the above, I don't think you need to, especially if you not going to take your dog into the swamp.

Good luck. And get busy!

:gh_bow

Edited by Greydawg

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

If the dog is on Comfortis monthly, then you don't need Capstar. Comfortis is essentially like a Capstar that works for an entire month. I agree with all the other responses. Once an infestation has set in, it can take 3-4 months for it to be completely cleared from the environment because of immature stages (namely the pupa) that can't be killed even by chemicals and stay dormant until they are stimulated to emerge.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest BrindleLuv

Well then I will continue to fight the good fight for a few more months before taking more drastic measures (ie moving back to the cold of PA). I plan on treating the apartment again this weekend and washing all his bedding again.

Well then I will continue to fight the good fight for a few more months before taking more drastic measures (ie moving back to the cold of PA). I plan on treating the apartment again this weekend and washing all his bedding again.

Ha! No need to move back to PA!! Once you get this infestation under control and on a regular preventive program, you may never see a flea again.

Clarification on Capstar... It is a temporary, fast-acting flea pill that is very effective when you need to kill fleas now. (It is the first thing I would do before I bring flea-infected fosters into my home.)

Because Capstar is only good for 24 hours, you will ALSO want a preventive solution like a once-a-month application of either Comfortis/Frontline Plus/Advantage/etc (consult your vet for the best monthly treatment for your dog).

Read more about Capstar:

http://www.petco.com/product/105391/Capstar-Flea-Tablets-for-Pets.aspx

:gh_bow

Edited by Greydawg

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

Guest BrindleLuv

Thank everyone for the advise. He is on comfortis and has been for the last month and was on frontline plus from the moment the adoption agency took him in that's why this is so frustrating.

Guest sirsmom

When I use Adams, I spray it on a towel and rub it in all over. Maybe you would get less on you this way.

Wow, I could have written your post! We're in PA (after moving back here from FL, where we had all the above problems), but now, after 23 flea free years, we have an infestation! We are beside ourselves. We love Adams products, which always worked on industrial strength FL fleas, and have been using them now as well. Bombs, sprays for the house and yard, washing EVERYTHING, including the dogs, But we're still seeing them. I knew the 3 inside cats would be affected too, but bathing them would be traumatic (and dangerous) for them AND us! We were spraying them too. But I think we made a big mistake in not getting a systemic flea killer sooner. Yesterday, I did the best flea control option for the cats---I bought a flea comb. OMG, I knew they had some, but I didn't know how many. They are little flea factories! I've been combing them obsessively, and can't believe the fleas I've gotten off them. Flea combs are awesome---best $3.99 I've spent! We ordered some Capstar, and will give it to everyone when it arrives, then probably do the same environment control all over again. Sigh....We've spent literally hundreds of dollars on this. And I have no idea why we're getting them now when we haven't ever had them before.

My poor PA dogs suffered when I moved to FL in 1980. They had no resistance like most FL dogs do. Even a few fleas made them scratch like crazy---dry, flaky skin, sores, hair loss, etc. But there are lots of new things now that we didn't have back then. We kind of resigned ourselves to the fact that we might be able to get ahead of the fleas, but we couldn't ever eliminate them entirely.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest undergreysspell

I live in FL and have never had a flea problem. Even though we live in a rural area with lots of wildlife. I have always used Sentinel except when it went off market for a while and had to switch to Trifexis, but we're now back on Sentinel. It doesn't kill the fleas but it keeps them from multiplying and if you treat your house and yard in addition you should be able to get rid of them. Sentinel also prevents heartworm and other worms and for the price ($7.50/month) you can't beat it!

VACUUM EVERY DAY FOR AT LEAST 8 WEEKS - FLOORS AND ANYWHERE THE DOGS SPEND ANY TIME - COUCH, BEDS (YOURS OR THEIRS), ETC.

There have been numerous studies done that prove vacuuming kills 95-100% of the fleas sucked into a modern vacuum, so no need to empty the bag or canister every time. No need to use chemicals indoors. De Flea shampoo is excellent for dogs, which uses a very interesting "active" ingredient which is totally non-toxic.

I have lived in FL for 20 years having moved from MI where I never saw a flea. Have survived 2 infestations, but the last one produced the biggest learning curve because I could not use chemicals in the house, yard or on the dogs and cats. I vacuum a minimum of 3 times a week now, treat the yard with dishwashing liquid diluted in a hose end sprayer once a month and use essential oils in their organic shampoo as well as diluted in distilled water to mist on them before any outdoor activities.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest lunasmom

If you don't trust your vacuum to kill all the fleas you can always put a flea collar inside the vacuum bag. If by chance a flea survived the trip to the bag, the flea collar would kill it.