A Corn!

Guest Clawsandpaws

Guest Clawsandpaws

I know there are a hundred topics on corns, and I have been reading through the majority of them. However, I have some follow up questions, mostly about the home treatments some have used, and some other basic questions:

1) Everyone is talking about Jacks Gel and Lori Rose's treatment, where the heck do I buy these? I found a "Jacks manufacturing company" and he does sell gels, but it appears to be for equine treatment. Also, Lori Rose sells multiple homeopathic kits, but I couldn't find which one would be used for corns.

2) Is it possible that it is a callus and not a corn? (can dogs have calluses?) It is on the side of the toe, not in the middle of the pads like most of the corns I see.

3) When is a corn ready to be hulled? Dudley is not limping, he lets me play around with it and it doesn't seem to bother him. How big should it get for it needs to be removed? (obviously I don't want it to get large, but does it have to be a certain size to be hulled?) Or should I take him to the vet to have it dealt with asap?

I have been on the facebook page for corns, as well as reading up on other websites, there are the questions I had trouble finding answers to. :(

Guest DeniseL

www.theartofmed.com

That is Jack's website. I'm a big fan, it was originally developed for my Miami. Works f fabulously for him, he is corn free and has been for a while now. But its all about maintenance with corns, I'm always on the offensive. And...all hounds are different the gel works for many, but not all, its better to catch them early and small.

Lori Rose is supposed to be effective also, but I have no experience with it.

Personally, I think a corn is a type of callus. Definitely pressure and gait related.

Im sure others will give their experience...I would write more but I'm not home at the moment....

Picture? Side of the toe sounds like something other than a corn. Corns are on the pads.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Clawsandpaws

Picture? Side of the toe sounds like something other than a corn. Corns are on the pads.

I'm sorry, it is on the pad, but way off to the side, I will try to get a good picture uploaded asap

Guest Clawsandpaws

Here are some. It looks white-ish right now because I was picking at it.

70FC9109-995D-49FC-8711-11B81DF704D9-165

59FBEE79-9419-4585-B306-A7653C95A5E8-165

It is slightly upraised, so I feel like a hulling tool could possibly get it out. I just don't want to bring him to the vet and have them dig at him with no results

Edited by Clawsandpaws

Here are some. It looks white-ish right now because I was picking at it.

70FC9109-995D-49FC-8711-11B81DF704D9-165

59FBEE79-9419-4585-B306-A7653C95A5E8-165

It is slightly upraised, so I feel like a hulling tool could possibly get it out. I just don't want to bring him to the vet and have them dig at him with no results

ummmm.....better than you digging :( Get it checked out.

Guest Clawsandpaws

Doesn't look like a corn too me.

What do you think it could be? :(

eta: I would be relieved if it's not a corn

Edited by Clawsandpaws

Guest Clawsandpaws

Can you shell it out??-could be just a trapped foreign body. Just an usual place for a corn to form--not impossible but, unusual.

I think I could, because it is a little raised, but it doesn't appear to be a foreign object, however, I do not want to hurt him!! I might just swing by my vet tomorrow and ask if he would know how to do it less painlessly.

When I first found it I brought it to our retired kennel manager, and she pulled/poked at it with her nails and it didn't seem painful, which is good

Guest Clawsandpaws

When you said it didn't bother him for you to mess with it my first thought was it wasn't a corn. Nadir would kick like a mule if you tried messing with his foot when he had a corn.

Even if it's very small? In our adoption kennel, we do have a few dogs with corns, and they freak when you go near their feet, but their corns are usually large. I thought maybe since it's so small it wouldn't irritate him yet. I'm bringing him to the vet asap regardless, but it is so weird.

Guest Clawsandpaws

I have a dog with corns. She doesn't mind at all when I pick at them, or pop them out. I usually do it when she is stretched out on the couch.

Do you use a tool? Do you have a process for softening them/drawing them out? Have you ever had your vet remove them?

And a question for all corn-dog parents (har har) IF you have a vet hull them, do they have to sedate? Dudley doesn't recover well from sedation, so I want to be prepared

I use my fingernails, a human toenail clipper, and a nail file. I pick at them when she is on the couch...around the edges to loosen them. When it is somewhat raised, i pick underneath on all sides til it pops out. Sometimes it breaks off instead. I don't try to get it out til it is sticking up. They don't seem to bother her, so i can wait for that stage. If they were causing her to limp, i would probably try to soak and draw them out. She has one on each back foot. I looked earlier this week, and no sign of growing back yet.

Guest Clawsandpaws

I use my fingernails, a human toenail clipper, and a nail file. I pick at them when she is on the couch...around the edges to loosen them. When it is somewhat raised, i pick underneath on all sides til it pops out. Sometimes it breaks off instead. I don't try to get it out til it is sticking up. They don't seem to bother her, so i can wait for that stage. If they were causing her to limp, i would probably try to soak and draw them out. She has one on each back foot. I looked earlier this week, and no sign of growing back yet.

Okay, thanks. I'm going to see what the vet says and ask his opinion on a course of action. He is our adoption groups spay/neuter vet, and I know that he has a lot of greyhound patients, but I don't know if he has experience with corns. I hope he does so he can show me how to hull them (assuming that it is something I can safely do, I JUST learned how to trim nails, LOL!)

Guest Clawsandpaws

No, they don't have to be sedated for hulling. My best success with Rex (multiple corms on all 4 paws)was honestly duct tape but that was before hulling came into vogue.

I read about the duct tape!! Lol, I'm hoping that this is not a corn, just a blip or something. We'll see!

Guest Clawsandpaws

Not a corn! Went to the vet this AM. Said it's definitely not a corn, he think's it's some type of callus-y response to trauma (a scar I guess). Could have been from us going to the lake with a really rocky shore. He told me to keep an eye on it and no poking!

Not a corn! Went to the vet this AM. Said it's definitely not a corn, he think's it's some type of callus-y response to trauma (a scar I guess). Could have been from us going to the lake with a really rocky shore. He told me to keep an eye on it and no poking!

hmmmmm.......no poking? Does he know you? :rolleyes: