Is This Cream Ok For Greys?

Tracker was diagnosed with a corn, and we're looking into different options. My husband uses a cream for his calloused feet, called Callex. He thought this might work to soften Tracker's pad and draw up the corn, so I want to check first with the forum whether there are any ingredients that could be harmful for a Grey. It says it's an enzyme exfoliant, and it contains: Petrolatum USP, protease (subtilisin), amino peptidase, peppermint oil.

Any thoughts?

And I just read online about a (one Greyhound) study that used a product called Jack's Gel that brought up the corn so they could hull it, when nothing else had worked for the dog? Anybody heard of this?

Edited by christinepi

The vet who saw Mandy for her corns was regarded by many as the local expert on corns. She told me that any moisturizer would do, but plain vaseline usually works as well as expensive creams. I did use human Kerasal for a while, which I use on my feet, but it didn't seem to do any better. What helped the most with any cream/gel/moisturizer was to put the product on, wrap the foot with saran wrap for a little while to let it soak in, and then rinse it off. In theory, an exfoliant such as Callex would help to make the corn erupt so it could be pulled out easier. If you want to try Callex, you might want to try the technique of wrapping with saran wrap for a while after putting it on, and then rinsing. That would reduce the chance that Tracker will lick the cream off. I don't think any of the ingredients you list are a major problem. I know that I've been told peppermint oil can be given to calm a dog, so that shouldn't hurt. I haven't heard of Jack's Gel, but since Mandy passed away, I haven't had to deal with corns and haven't tried any of the new products.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

And I just read online about a (one Greyhound) study that used a product called Jack's Gel that brought up the corn so they could hull it, when nothing else had worked for the dog? Anybody heard of this?

That was my Miami in the case study. Jack was referred to me by a vet I trusted very much when we didn't know what else to do and Miami was suffering terribly with corns. Jack had just opened a compounding pharmacy in Philly and made Miami's corns a personal mission of his. He is a dog lover and was intrigued. Plus he was trying to get his business off the ground and had time on his hands. He read up as much as he could and with the help of my vet came up with the gel. I used it successfully for a few months on Miami it was awesome and brought the corns up and I had them hulled. Miami was corn free for a while...and then of course, a corn started forming on his back pad and Jack asked if I would do a case study on the gel as I used it to get rid of the corn.

Obviously, I am a big fan of the gel. It worked and still works wonders for Miami. He just had a corn starting on that same back pad last week. We used the gel almost everyday and today it is just a little spot. Jack also makes a pad polish for keeping the pad moisturized which I like, but I also still use bag balm and have used Vaseline in the past which worked good, too.

Here s the thing...the gel is not cheap and it hasn't worked for everyone. Many hounds have had success and Jack has sold his product to tons of other success stories but it is not a guarantee. It is much easier and less time consuming then the Murrays and works quicker....but again there is no guarantee. Since jack is local, a lot of people in this area use it and are very happy, but Jack does ship all over.

Corns are all about maintance and finding a system that works for your particular hound, finding a product that can help separate the corn from the pad so it can be removed and keeping the pad soft to prevent the formation of a new corn...personally, I think corns are all about pressure and gait issues so you need to think of them as tiny rock hard calluses...keeping the pad moisturized and soft is key at least for us.

• 6 years later...

7 minutes ago, Jackiedooley said:

How do you get hold of Jack's Gel in the UK?

I’ve never heard of it but one regular GreyTalker swears by Bazuka, the verruca gel, which is easy to pick up at any Boots/Superdrug.

If you really want Jack’s Gel, maybe try Amazon as you can usually find whatever you want on there

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

11 hours ago, MerseyGrey said:

I’ve never heard of it but one regular GreyTalker swears by Bazuka, the verruca gel, which is easy to pick up at any Boots/Superdrug.

If you really want Jack’s Gel, maybe try Amazon as you can usually find whatever you want on there

That's probably me. I put Bazuka on the corn when her foot is dry after the morning walk. It is inert when it has gone white after a few minutes so it won't cause any harm if licked or mark the floor. Before the evening walk I put Burt's Bees Hand Salve (the one in the round tin) on each pad of the effected foot, put a baby sock over the foot and then a boot. This is left on for a couple of hours and taken off before bedtime. The morning walk I try and take her around the park on the wet grass with nothing on her feet this will loosen the corn if it is ready or sometimes remove it. Don't expect a miracle overnight as it can take several weeks.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

This original thread is from 2013, so take any information with a grain of salt.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly