Preacher

Guest Ellums

Guest Ellums

Hi!

We went out to greensboro and got Preacher last Sunday. We love him. He's such a well behaved dog and sweet and cuddly.

I'm having trouble reading him though. He doesn't wag his tail and a greys ears are always pulled back, so how do I tell when he's happy or upset?

tumblr_mrqv55m7Fv1szoaabo1_500.jpg

Guest Scouts_mom

As he gets comfortable with you, you will see that tail start to wag. As to other expressions, they are there with a grey, just more subtle. You will become aware of them before too long.

Preacher is a lovely dog.

Congratulations on your handsome new boy!

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest Dancer

Handsome boy! It won't take too long before you start seeing expressions in his eyes. And he starts learning to read you and knows the house routines.

My boy was a bit distant a first...unsure of toys and did not like the couch. He seemed to became cuddly suddenly one day and decided the couch was good. The first time my boy got really excited was when I was roasting a turkey.....He loved the smell and wanted to find the source. He demonstrated lots of charisma that day!

Congrats, he is handsome! The ears back are in their resting position. As for the tail, one of mine was never a tail wagger. However, as he gets used to his new situation, he will be easier to read.

Welcome!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest Ellums

Thanks!

I heard him bark for the 1st time last night. :(

It was odd, since he'd been in there about 3 hours, but he woke up and decided to vocalize.

Now he seems to hate his crate, which is odd since he seemed to like it before, even wondering in it when the door was open to chill.

Maybe he likes the rest of the house more now?

Guest RMarie

Just give him time. He'll settle in. You'll learn to pick up on his subtle cues (I :heart the subtleties). For some it takes months or even years for their true personalities to come out.

Until then...enjoy the ride. It's fun! B)

Preacher is beautiful. Yep, it takes them a while to bloom, as I like to say. Little by little. You will be amazed by the changes in him 6 months from now! He looks like a sweetie pie.

I'm not sure where you adopted him from, but remember that he's likely used to living in a crate by himself ie with no one startling him or touching him unexpectedly. So remember that as sweet and cuddly as he may be, he's brand new to home life so never plop down next to him or put your face up to his, etc while he is sleeping. And tell any houseguests or kids the same thing!!

(Just my 2 cents). Enjoy your handsome baby!!

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Lovely dog - congrats!

Please be aware that some dogs cannot be crated. What they experienced at the track and what they can tolerate in a different setting (your home), may be completely different. Remember at the track there were probably 20 other dogs in crates right beside him. Some dogs will destroy themselves (teeth and paws) trying to get out of a crate. You will never forgive yourself if this happens. Monitor use of the crate closely and avoid leaving him alone in the crate if you are not certain that he is OK with it. The good news is most Greys are quite trustworthy out of the crate if the house is properly secured. You can always use a muzzle if he is a chewer.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BrontoTheFirst

Just wanted to say hello b/c I believe we looked at Preacher the week before you guys got him (we went home with a different grey). Did you by chance adopt him from PRH? He looks like a great pup!

Yes!

We looked at him and Veggie and Reed.

He is a good match for us. He's very in tune with my husbands temperament (a calm happy little hedonist).

Who'd yall get?

oh update: He wags his tail now. Mostly when we get home, and when he's getting his butt scratched.

Serisouley, he loves getting pet there. When I discovered how happy it made him I brushed him a little too hard and he got rug burns :headwall but he's fine now.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest BrontoTheFirst

Yes!

We looked at him and Veggie and Reed.

He is a good match for us. He's very in tune with my husbands temperament (a calm happy little hedonist).

Who'd yall get?

oh update: He wags his tail now. Mostly when we get home, and when he's getting his butt scratched.

Serisouley, he loves getting pet there. When I discovered how happy it made him I brushed him a little too hard and he got rug burns :headwall but he's fine now.

We didn't see Veggie, but we looked at Preacher, Reed, and a couple others, ultimately going home with Banker, whom we renamed Bronto. Love him to death. We're going to the PRH 10 year celebration in mid-October, are you guys?

Sounds like Preacher is a real sweetie and he's settling into his new home. Yay for tail wagging!