Proper Weight

Guest shadow

Guest shadow

I have a 3yr old male and I'm trying to find out what his appearance should look like. Right now I can see the outline of his spine (feel them too) and several of his ribs. He is on 3.5 cups of TOTW per day. I weighed him and he is 76 lbs, but he is tall. Is this an OK weight or should I up his TOTW?

Did he race? If so and you know his racing weight (which should be listed on Greyhound Data), a good rule of thumb is 5% over racing weight. Just going by your description, it sounds like he is on the thin side (seeing the last two or three ribs is good; seeing several could indicate that he's a bit underweight).

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Need a side profile picture me thinks.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

It's totally based on your particular dog. I can give you a comparison of Henry.

Here was his adoption photo in 2010.

d190c293-7c55-4280-8935-7be19750aed9_zps

Here he was last fall.

9602e705-bae2-44ed-944c-ff576267d625_zps

He's filled in and his hips are no longer pronounced, but you can still see a good bit of ribs and spine. He's around 74.

Guest debster

I'm dealing with similar questions too, and my vet told me that maybe 1-2 pounds over my dog's racing weight would be great, but not too much more.

The dinosaur bones on the back are unsettling at first! But the vet said that is normal and ok. Seems like you have to do almost everything wrong to get these dogs to become overweight.

Guest debster

I was looking around online and came across some helpful information for OP and anyone else wondering (including me!)

This article discusses calories and which bones should be visible, and what constitutes overweight:

http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/advice/general_advice/feeding.shtml

When mine is at the weight the vet suggested, I'd be more than happy to post his photo and his measurements! It would be really cool to see a thread of a bunch of hounds at different weights, with their height, waist size, rib size, neck size, mentioned racing weight, and a note of which bones show up. I think it would be a great way for people to see how many shapes and sizes these dogs come in.

Need a side profile picture me thinks.

Agreed here-I picture is worth a thousand words. I have a problem with comparing to his prior race weight. You don't know if his race weight was a healthy weight for him-to thin and yes, or too to heavy.

Thanks for all of the replies. Wow, my dog is a few lbs under his race weight. **! Guess I need to up his feeding.......perplexed!

Don't go by that. He may have just lost muscle, but could still be a healthy weight. Go by how he looks.

Believe what your eyes see.

Have to be careful with that too. ;) Most of my clients believe their eyes that their dog is the right weight even though the poor lab is almost obese. :S

Really, OP, if you're not sure the best thing to do is either have your vet see him, take him by his adoption group, or post a good side profile photo on here.

For some reference here are my two.

Summit

IMG_6665.jpg

Summit is on the thinner side of the normal range. I like my dogs to err towards leaner because of agility. Some people like to see a tad bit more cover over the ribs. On him you can see probably 4-5 ribs (just barely 4 and 5 but 1-3 are fairly obvious). This also tends to be his own "happy weight". You know how everyone has a weight that their body tends to settle at and for some that is thinner and for others it is heavier? Well, Summit is happy at this weight. I used to feed him more but he didn't actually put on weight he just pooped more! He's active, healthy, eats well, glossy coat. I like him at this weight.

Kili

1077291_10100608834069649_1004934650_o_z

Kili is not quite 12 months old and is impossible to get weight onto. She's a teenager. She eats well, she's extremely active... I'm not concerned. She'll fill out. She's also stacked for conformation so her hind legs are extended a little farther back than when she stands normally, which does stretch her out a bit and make her look a bit thinner than she really is. But for a reference to an adult, mature greyhound this would be considered thin. If this is how your dog looks you want to slowly try to add some weight onto him.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!